• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
So I know I have been "missing" for quite a while, but real life has taken precedence over pixelated art recently. I was asked to do some promo work for one of DAZ's new characters; I don't normally do anything remotely cartoon-ish, so it was quite a fun experience.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Willow Princess
aiko 8 scene A.jpg

Psychedelic Fox

aiko 8 scene B.jpg

Monsters in the Closet

aiko 8 scene C.jpg

Not quite sure how the last post ended up with no pictures; must have hit a wrong button. I'm pretty happy with how these turned out for my "first" cartoon-style images... Anyhow, fun as they were, I'll probably run off now and get back to my "normal 'art'". Hope you get a laugh from these, at least. :)

robert952

Brilliant
...I'm pretty happy with how these turned out for my "first" cartoon-style images... Anyhow, fun as they were, I'll probably run off now and get back to my "normal 'art'". Hope you get a laugh from these, at least. :)

Nice images, you may want to consider side trips into this style periodically. Definitely, Monsters in the Closet looks like a fun time. But nothing to laugh at. You did the figure justice in these promo shots.

I actually like how Aiko has 'evolved'. The first Aiko was very 'anime-ish' as was the intent. That carried on through A4. A5 started to become little bit more 'real world'. A8, I think, can hold her own as a figure. Willow Princess shows that aspect: a maturing young woman. I've liked Aiko as a 'young/teen model' over Josie and other teen figures. A8 seems a good blend of anime and 'real world' figure/character. (Sorry for the 'promotional' tone... not intended... just my opinion on the figure.)

Thanks for sharing.

Hornet3d

Wise
Willow Princess
View attachment 35899

Psychedelic Fox

View attachment 35900

Monsters in the Closet

View attachment 35901

Not quite sure how the last post ended up with no pictures; must have hit a wrong button. I'm pretty happy with how these turned out for my "first" cartoon-style images... Anyhow, fun as they were, I'll probably run off now and get back to my "normal 'art'". Hope you get a laugh from these, at least. :)

I like them, a really nice set and I love the materials in particular. I think it is always a good idea to jump out of your normal field once in a while, I know I do but the results are never good enough to share. Looks like you had fun which is the main thing.

Hornet3d

Wise
It is rare for me to go back to a render, well except when I changed from V4 to Dawn as the basis of my character and had to rework a lot of renders for the sake of consistency. Having now been converted to superfly, or maybe converted to the Ezdome, I am looking at some past renders.

This is one I did a few months ago but I decided to flesh it out a bit with some street furniture and cars and also use Exdome for the lighting. The aim was still to leave it looking basic and everyday as this is a point in the story where Caoimhe comes back to Turlough's place and time of origin, looking for him after his return. I wanted to contrast the simplicity of this life and time to that of Caoimhe's.

Northern Street HW.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
It is rare for me to go back to a render, well except when I changed from V4 to Dawn as the basis of my character and had to rework a lot of renders for the sake of consistency. Having now been converted to superfly, or maybe converted to the Ezdome, I am looking at some past renders.

This is one I did a few months ago but I decided to flesh it out a bit with some street furniture and cars and also use Exdome for the lighting. The aim was still to leave it looking basic and everyday as this is a point in the story where Caoimhe comes back to Turlough's place and time of origin, looking for him after his return. I wanted to contrast the simplicity of this life and time to that of Caoimhe's.

View attachment 35902
The problem with large scenes is then you have to fill them with something and it is those little details like fire hydrants, man hole covers, cracks in the pavement, some fella trying to make time with your sister and what not that adds interest, although I like this very much...Course it looks so neat that if I ever showed up there I'd be arrested....

Carey

Extraordinary

Hornet3d

Wise
The problem with large scenes is then you have to fill them with something and it is those little details like fire hydrants, man hole covers, cracks in the pavement, some fella trying to make time with your sister and what not that adds interest, although I like this very much...Course it looks so neat that if I ever showed up there I'd be arrested....

You make a fair point that has a number of aspects one of which is the fact this is outside my normal render subject and I have tended to miss the obvious, such as street lamps and the other items you have mentioned. This is possible to solve but the amount of UK looking content is severely limited. Normally my large scenes are in country landscapes where I just plant another few trees if I want to add interest of fill a space, not so easy in a town. This leads on to another aspect in that most such scenes are, as you suggest, pristine, again there is the odd ghetto looking block available but not UK based. That is not to say we do not have some deprived areas, just that no one models them.

Going to see what I have in my runtime or, in nothing appropriate I might have to try my limited skills on modelling the odd street lamp and rubbish bin.

Carey

Extraordinary
You make a fair point that has a number of aspects one of which is the fact this is outside my normal render subject and I have tended to miss the obvious, such as street lamps and the other items you have mentioned. This is possible to solve but the amount of UK looking content is severely limited. Normally my large scenes are in country landscapes where I just plant another few trees if I want to add interest of fill a space, not so easy in a town. This leads on to another aspect in that most such scenes are, as you suggest, pristine, again there is the odd ghetto looking block available but not UK based. That is not to say we do not have some deprived areas, just that no one models them.

Going to see what I have in my runtime or, in nothing appropriate I might have to try my limited skills on modelling the odd street lamp and rubbish bin.
What the deal is, if given an opening I like to discuss each others art work, not to talk it down or in any way de-track from it, but in hopes of learning.....Plus the fact I have way too much time on my hands...lol many street props are available for free on line, but what the heck a couple of primaries and you have a telephone pole. That being said I too have big problems with large scenes, what I tend to do is instead of showing a room, I show a corner. or instead of showing a street, I show a stair well.. See our 3d programs don't show distance well, yes you can imitate the effect, but nothing I have found truly fools the eye ... And now I will shut up in hopes of having said at least some thing useful.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Hornet3d do you have any reference images of you uk lamps and bins? I am on a modeling bender at the moment and would be happy to see if i can whip up what you are after :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
There's an old PC+ set of add on street props that go with their old Victorian Street set. But I'm not altogether sure that that is really what is needed here. You don't actually want gaslights. You want electric. Just old.

Hornet3d

Wise
What the deal is, if given an opening I like to discuss each others art work, not to talk it down or in any way de-track from it, but in hopes of learning.....Plus the fact I have way too much time on my hands...lol many street props are available for free on line, but what the heck a couple of primaries and you have a telephone pole. That being said I too have big problems with large scenes, what I tend to do is instead of showing a room, I show a corner. or instead of showing a street, I show a stair well.. See our 3d programs don't show distance well, yes you can imitate the effect, but nothing I have found truly fools the eye ... And now I will shut up in hopes of having said at least some thing useful.

Please feel free to continue, I love the comments you make and generally use your feedback to improve my renders. I have mixed view on large scenes as I can't say they are my favorite but feel that my character has to get out into the wider world at some point. This particular render was difficult for me as it is meant to portray the character returning to the present day UK, as I don't create my own content, that leaves me very few options. I could take the easy option and just base it in the US, but then I could also use the standard twenty something model rather than a more mature heroine which is my character. I guess I just like to be different.

The scene used here is Northern Terrace Street by David Brinnen and ForbiddenWhispers and is, to my eyes at least, a good representation of many terraced streets in the UK and particularly in the North. I suspect it is a lot cleaner and in better repair than a good majority of the streets in the UK. It is the nature of the house style that is the strongest other than that there is a limited number of street furniture items that would be seen in a UK street. As a general rule we do not have fire hydrants and the iconic red telephone box is a site that is seen less and less as the years go by. That leaves road signs and road markings, street lamps and rubbish bins, not forgetting the equally ionic Post Box. Even here a lot of our rubbish bins have been removed due to the possibility of them being used for people to place bombs in. Some cynics would say it is actually more to do with the local councils not having to buy the bins in the first place, and pay for them to be emptied, but there you are.

Please don't see anything I say here, or in any other response I give in reply to to you as pushing back against your comments. I love the fact you take the time and trouble to comment I just tend to respond with what I had in my mind when creating a render, or the restrictions I felt I had at the time. As it this case it gives others the opportunity to either suggest ways around my restrictions, show me where I am wrong or suggest another way of looking at things.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hornet, I can think of many mini scenes, particularly from RDNA which have the "pieces" you are looking for. Perhaps you have them already in your runtime.

Victorian Style Elements is one from RDNA

Pretadon's City Streets from DAZ

By Lamplight from DAZ is another
By Lamplight Vignette Scene | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

You can also load the lamp posts from Disconsolation if you have it.

I'm sure there are many others.

Thank you for that, and I do like the Lamplight Vignette Scene, I think that might find it's way into my shopping cart at some point.

I guess I should have been a little more specific though as it actually wrong for me to suggest there is not a fair amount of UK style street furniture there is, but a lot of it is Victorian style. I can understand why as there are some beautiful designs and they lend so well to storylines like Christmas Carol and many such stories. In comparison there is little demand for more modern day street furniture which i guess also leads on to why there is limited commercial content.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
You might want to check DryJack's store on Rendo. He specializes in railroad models, but he has a few other structures as well. Some o them may have street props included. I know he has at least a couple of classic rail stations.

And he's uploaded a few freebies as well. But I'm not sure anything of use for a street scene.

Hornet3d

Wise
There's an old PC+ set of add on street props that go with their old Victorian Street set. But I'm not altogether sure that that is really what is needed here. You don't actually want gaslights. You want electric. Just old.

Absolutely right, and I do have that set and a few others and they can produce some really nice scenes but I think the would look odd in this location.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d do you have any reference images of you uk lamps and bins? I am on a modeling bender at the moment and would be happy to see if i can whip up what you are after :)

Thank you for your offer, everyone here is so generous with their time skills and even equipment.

Give me a day or so and I will try a rustle up some images but please don't go to a lot of trouble on my behalf, I think this is the first render I have ever done of this nature so who knows when I will do another one.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thank you for your offer, everyone here is so generous with their time skills and even equipment.

Give me a day or so and I will try a rustle up some images but please don't go to a lot of trouble on my behalf, I think this is the first render I have ever done of this nature so who knows when I will do another one.
All good :) Hey its good practice for me, the more I model the better I get and then every one wins as the better I get the more things I am likely to make for folks to use :)