• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

quietrob

Extraordinary
Oh that is nice. The kids might not appreciate the old fashioned Buddy Holly era bass but it sure made for a lot of fun way back in the day. You even have a trumpet player so they can play Raymond Scott's Powerhouse! A sweet quartet indeed!

Last edited:
These renders from @Stezza and el Riccardo Loco got me curious about Carrara.
Because I'm seeing something there I don't always see.
Ideas!
Sure, there's lots of speck-tack-u-lure renders around, but when I see original ideas it makes me think that this tool gives the user more
freedom to be creative.
So I looked at the manual on-line and saw that Carrara is quite different.
Sort of a netherworld of 3D.
Not in the negative sense, though.
What's cool about it is that it fully supports Poser content.
So I can do some of the things I was thinking of using LW Layout for.
Only with that you have to pose characters in Poser, export to obj then import to Layout, retexture, and they're stuck like that.
In Carrara they can be loaded complete and poseable.
Very cool.
I decided to buy it and it lists for like $285.
Put it in my basket, went to check-out, and it was discounted to $39.
Yes! What a deal.
Strange interface but I'm getting to know it.
Seems a bit like Blender.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I played with the public beta of 8.5, but I never really liked it. It does have the option to actually model objects, which Poser doesn't have, but I don't particularly like their shader system, which insists you create a "new" shader, even if all you want to do is check it out. I find that annoying.

I also don't like the minuscule text, which can't really be made larger, and the menus are sooooo long, it would be harder to make the text larger, even if it was possible. They need to break up those long menus into more easily usable submenus.

I just started playing with it, but if I select a shader and go to the shader room it just shows all the parameters of that shader.
Much like poser's materials, and material room.
Everything has different names. And y and z are swapped.
The interface looks OK on my monitors. I usually float the widgets and put them all on the second monitor.
It knows nothing about Poser's procedural textures, even though it has them, and all those have to be redone.
Really is weird, but for $39, can't complain. If I'd paid $285 though, I would have been disappointed.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, then they've changed that since I played with it, which was a couple of years ago at least. I used to get a popup asking me if I wanted to edit/change it or create a new one.

As for the Y/Z change, I deal with that on a daily basis in Blender, so I'm used to that.

Hornet3d

Wise
These renders from @Stezza and el Riccardo Loco got me curious about Carrara.
Because I'm seeing something there I don't always see.
Ideas!
Sure, there's lots of speck-tack-u-lure renders around, but when I see original ideas it makes me think that this tool gives the user more
freedom to be creative.
So I looked at the manual on-line and saw that Carrara is quite different.
Sort of a netherworld of 3D.
Not in the negative sense, though.
What's cool about it is that it fully supports Poser content.
So I can do some of the things I was thinking of using LW Layout for.
Only with that you have to pose characters in Poser, export to obj then import to Layout, retexture, and they're stuck like that.
In Carrara they can be loaded complete and poseable.
Very cool.
I decided to buy it and it lists for like $285.
Put it in my basket, went to check-out, and it was discounted to $39.
Yes! What a deal.
Strange interface but I'm getting to know it.
Seems a bit like Blender.

The program takes some getting used to but there is a lot there, I always loved the instancing it provides, as you say a real steal at $39. As has been shown here it is capable of some stunning renders which all combines to make it a crying shame that it is stuck in time and has been left to die a long lingering death.

Hornet3d

Wise
I had wondered what the big deal was with 3D printing was until I realized the potential. Putting aside the medical advances and just dealing with lighter issues, I visit anime shops from time to time and they feature figurines, some priced over a hundred dollars, of my favorite anime and comic book characters. I remembered that DAZ does indeed have an option for 3D printing. Some of us, perhaps a lot of us have a "go to" character that is used more often than any other. I know I do. I'd love to have a figurine of Ken's Jungle Girl and Cat to inspire me and decorate my home cubical when I'm toiling away. I'm thinking @Hornet3d wouldn't mind a figurine of Caoihme looking at him as well.

However even with the proprietary nature of the DS 3D printing option, I'd still be very interested except for @Ken1171 statement that the models aren't watertight and have geometry not connected to the body amongst other things. Perhaps the plugin provides for these deficiencies. Those DS guru's are pretty clever.

You're right, I would certainly be interested in figurine of Caoimhe I am waiting for a sale at my printers to have a banner printed as I already have a five foot one of my V4 character from a few years ago and one of Caoimhe would be great. At five foot they are pretty well life sized so they do have impact.

This is the V4 one, I have it on a doorway so it looks as though she is walking in.

Future_Quiet_HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
Suddenly had a thought, I should not have posted the last render as this is a thread for Dawn. I realised too late to edit it, sorry it is that age thing again. I am happy for it to be moved or removed, I don't want to upset anyone.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
the shader dialogue would be if you want to edit the master or make a new one..

eg.. two objects with same shader can be changed if needed.. that's why you will get that message
in 8.5 the menu text can be enlarged in the preferences...

welcome to RaRa, enjoy ;)

my unfinished Chitty Modeled & rendered in Carrara 8.5

Chitty Bang Bang.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, it wasn't inappropriate for a printing discussion. Although what was posted wasn't the printed article.
Whatever.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Suddenly had a thought, I should not have posted the last render as this is a thread for Dawn. I realised too late to edit it, sorry it is that age thing again. I am happy for it to be moved or removed, I don't want to upset anyone.

You could ask the community volunteers to move it to the "I just want to post a render" thread. :)

Riccardo

Adventurous
@Stezza was faster than me on Carrara so I won't add much.
@StudioMartillo no offense taken here, but you really must explain where "El Riccardo Loco" comes from?!? :)
I got Carrara as well for a price like yours, but is was only because I joined the Platinum Club (yes, I joined just for the extra discount on Carrara). Maybe you got that deal for the same reason. Anyway, the more I use Carrara, the more I think that even at full price it would be worth its cost (but as a Daz Original it often goes on sale)

Riccardo

Adventurous
About Blender: I tried a couple of times to learn it but it's a no for me now: the interface spoils a powerful program. To me Blender is unpleasant to use as much as Carrara is a pleasure.
Since I am new in learning 3D, I decided to use Carrara also because I want to enjoy myself while I learn.
Actually, I am a strong supporter of free software; I use it a lot and often try to introduce people to it. So I am quite sure that when I will be more expert in 3D, one of the next big steps to take will be Blender. But I really hope that when that time comes, the part of the Blender community who supports the change to a new interface will have won their battle.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I do wonder if any program really changes their interface. It would almost make it seem as if you have to relearn the program. Has Carrrara every changed its interface?

no offense taken here, but you really must explain where "El Riccardo Loco" comes from?!
So glad you're not offended. It just means 'That crazy Riccardo', and this comes from a colloquialism 'He's bats!' that means the same thing.
Such a cool idea those bats. I just love it!

I'm liking Carrara much more now that I've made it about half way through the user's manual.
For me it's a nice compliment to Poser, mainly for doing outdoor/nature scenes.
There's a story been on my mind that involves a girl and her horse (Babe, my HW Horse Character) traveling through Scotland in search of some ethereal truth.
So I think it's going to work well in Carrara.
I already found a bug though. When there's a big terrain in the scene and I add a small prop, and then do 'zoom to selected' the program hangs.
Otherwise it's really fun so far.