• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It might also look that way because the skirt is shear/transparent. Try it with a solid color, and see how it goes.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ok, notthing besides material has changed (ok, lighting did too :p)

Great to see dynamics for all in DS! Finally! :D

This render was an experiment to light a Superfly scene using old school IBL light probe... and it works! ^____^

KittyLove_1024.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
This render was an experiment to light a Superfly scene using old school IBL light probe... and it works! ^____^
My first few successful SuperFly renders were done with whatever backdrop/floor prop I happened to have handy and regular lighting.

It's only since Snarly came out with EZDome that I've switched, and I use Bagginsbill's EnvSphere for FireFly more often now. I used that a few times in SuperFly too, until EZDome was ready for public consumption. ;)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Doing a tour of duty had never been an issue for Caoimhe in the past, but this tour she found she needed to keep busy and her mind occupied. During any downtime her mind would wander, and wander quickly to thoughts of home.....thoughts of Turlough.

View attachment 32255
Caoimhe seems so sad. Should she dump Turlough or is he her one and only true love?

Is that a Light Sabre behind her head? Other things...Content Creation for Dummies is one of the books behind her head, A book I suspect that has been self textured to represent a new language, and a strange container that I suspect contains Romulan Ale. At least the color is the same. I love Easter Eggs (as we call them here in the states)! Just a bit more going on here besides a sad Caoimhe.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It certainly does work on the basis of that render, I like that a lot.

Thanks! I also reserve this kind of lighting for scenes like this. ^^

My first few successful SuperFly renders were done with whatever backdrop/floor prop I happened to have handy and regular lighting.

It's only since Snarly came out with EZDome that I've switched, and I use Bagginsbill's EnvSphere for FireFly more often now. I used that a few times in SuperFly too, until EZDome was ready for public consumption. ;)

I am using EZDome as well, but was having a number of problems with it. First of all, it gets in the way of scene composing, pose and lights adjustments, especially when I need to switch to orthogonal cameras (top, side, front, etc). It completely blocks the way.

With IBL light probes, I can get a very similar result without a sphere around the scene, and it appears to render faster as well. I will be experimenting more with that to see how far I can go. ^^

So good to it's 3D Printer ready for us Otaku's!

I wish! Poser/DS models aren't suitable for 3D printing - I have tried. They are not watertight, have little geometry pieces that are not connected to the body, and have zero thickness geometries that cannot be 3D printed. I wonder if there is a simple way to fix all that for 3D printing?

Miss B

CV-BEE
I am using EZDome as well, but was having a number of problems with it. First of all, it gets in the way of scene composing, pose and lights adjustments, especially when I need to switch to orthogonal cameras (top, side, front, etc). It completely blocks the way.

With IBL light probes, I can get a very similar result without a sphere around the scene, and it appears to render faster as well. I will be experimenting more with that to see how far I can go. ^^
Yes, I remember the first time I used a sphere type object in DS. My camera was outside the sphere, and I couldn't see anything unless I moved the camera inside, so I can understand why you would have problems with it. So far I just set up whatever HDRi I want to use and render, so haven't had much trouble setting up the scenes . . . yet. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
So far I just set up whatever HDRi I want to use and render, so haven't had much trouble setting up the scenes . . . yet.

I think HDRI rendering with SF in Poser is still half-baked because it doesn't allow a shadow casting ground. After all, the whole point of the EZDome is to be able to use HDRI for both lighting and backdrops, but we can't integrate them with the character without having to render a 2nd time with FF to cast the shadows. The latest Blender version has already added shadow casting to Cycles, but who knows how long until Poser gets the update? I can't wait!! :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
YES!!! I agree with you. Once I learned how to manipulate the Shadow Catcher in my old DS 3A, I always wanted shadows, even if the object wasn't on the floor.

I would looooove to have shadow catching in SuperFly, and I hope we don't have to wait "too" long, but who knows.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am not 100% sure, but I think Blender 2.79 has also introduced micro-poly displacement to Cycles, so we can render those furry decorations for Christmas in December. I really want that in SF as well.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I downloaded 2.79 and installed it, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Willowisp

Adventurous
I wish! Poser/DS models aren't suitable for 3D printing - I have tried. They are not watertight, have little geometry pieces that are not connected to the body, and have zero thickness geometries that cannot be 3D printed. I wonder if there is a simple way to fix all that for 3D printing?

Not for Poser that I know of, but there is a way now for DS. It involves buying a plugin from a 3rd part company that will convert your scene into a print-ready object and format. You will then have to order the print from that company, but only from them, and options are fairly limited for the time being.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Not for Poser that I know of, but there is a way now for DS. It involves buying a plugin from a 3rd part company that will convert your scene into a print-ready object and format. You will then have to order the print from that company, but only from them, and options are fairly limited for the time being.

I wonder why DS plugins tend to be so monopolistic, like it was with the older cloth sim and AniMate. I was so happy when they came up with a way to convert AniMate files to Poser PZ2 format. That's when all the money I had spent on AniBlocks started to payoff. ^^

quietrob

Extraordinary
I wonder why DS plugins tend to be so monopolistic, like it was with the older cloth sim and AniMate. I was so happy when they came up with a way to convert AniMate files to Poser PZ2 format. That's when all the money I had spent on AniBlocks started to payoff. ^^
I had wondered what the big deal was with 3D printing was until I realized the potential. Putting aside the medical advances and just dealing with lighter issues, I visit anime shops from time to time and they feature figurines, some priced over a hundred dollars, of my favorite anime and comic book characters. I remembered that DAZ does indeed have an option for 3D printing. Some of us, perhaps a lot of us have a "go to" character that is used more often than any other. I know I do. I'd love to have a figurine of Ken's Jungle Girl and Cat to inspire me and decorate my home cubical when I'm toiling away. I'm thinking @Hornet3d wouldn't mind a figurine of Caoihme looking at him as well.

However even with the proprietary nature of the DS 3D printing option, I'd still be very interested except for @Ken1171 statement that the models aren't watertight and have geometry not connected to the body amongst other things. Perhaps the plugin provides for these deficiencies. Those DS guru's are pretty clever.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
from what I can gather from the 3D printing plugin, it sends your file directly from inside Daz to GamePrint and they fix the model and print it, so the plugin itself doesn't fix the model.

"Upon installing the plugin, you will be able to upload your Daz 3D character to be repaired and optimized for 3D printing. Pricing for your collectible will be determined by the size and finish, You will be able to review your model and pricing prior to placing your order (typical pricing for a standard seven inch print is $250.)"

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ooh, so that plugin is actually just an outlet for a particular store that does all the work and printing. I thought so. I have personally tried to fix a Poser model, but couldn't get it right after several attempts. Back then I didn't quite understand what a watertight mesh meant, and also the fact that everything must have a minimum thickness to be printable. Things like clothing and eye lashes generally have no thickness, and are not attached to the body. Strand hair in particular is a mess to print, because they are made of several strips with no thickness, and also rely on alpha maps that cannot be printed. I have no idea how would they handle hair like that, and I think most Poser/DS hair is build that way.