• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Music From The Hive

James R.

Busy Bee
Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip, died on October 18... which happened to be my birthday. The Hip is...was...is... Canada's band, and Gord was its voice. The news of his passing made the day more than a little melancholy. He had brain cancer, which he'd been battling for a year, and we all knew it was coming, but...

The Tragically Hip were unrepentantly, unashamedly, Canadian. What does that mean? They were (are) just a natural part of the Canadian way of things. Maple leaf, Mounties, The Hip. You may not have understood the lyrics, comprehended the lyrics, or even known what the heck he was actually singing, but you knew the songs because they were unmistakeable, his voice was unmistakeable. And his voice was always on the radio somewhere. Weekend at the lake: Hip on the radio. Stuck in traffic: Hip on the radio. Painting the bedroom: Hip on the radio. Brushing your teeth: Hip on the radio. Thanks for your music and your unique vision, Gord Downie. Live forever, always on the radio somewhere.

'The Hip isn’t well known outside of Canada, but the BBC published an article on Downie’s death and tried to explain the Canadian love affair: ‘…more than any other artist, they have reflected the sense of what it’s like to love and live in a small, beautiful, overlooked country.'” — Jeff Semple, Europe bureau chief, Global National News

Some info: Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

This song is from their very early career (1992) and I wouldn't say it's at all typical of their sound. But the lyrics, the storytelling, typifies their work.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
It's truly amazing just how many great musicians Canada has actually produced over the years. Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen and Alanis Morissette spring readily to mind from among my own personal, and revered favourites! All with a touch of magic which says these people know what it's like to be alive with all the things that entails. They are just the ones who went big time worldwide but there is a seemingly endless list of Canadian artists who deserve more than just a brief listen!

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip, died on October 18... which happened to be my birthday. The Hip is...was...is... Canada's band, and Gord was its voice. The news of his passing made the day more than a little melancholy. He had brain cancer, which he'd been battling for a year, and we all knew it was coming, but...

The Tragically Hip were unrepentantly, unashamedly, Canadian. What does that mean? They were (are) just a natural part of the Canadian way of things. Maple leaf, Mounties, The Hip. You may not have understood the lyrics, comprehended the lyrics, or even known what the heck he was actually singing, but you knew the songs because they were unmistakeable, his voice was unmistakeable. And his voice was always on the radio somewhere. Weekend at the lake: Hip on the radio. Stuck in traffic: Hip on the radio. Painting the bedroom: Hip on the radio. Brushing your teeth: Hip on the radio. Thanks for your music and your unique vision, Gord Downie. Live forever, always on the radio somewhere.

'The Hip isn’t well known outside of Canada, but the BBC published an article on Downie’s death and tried to explain the Canadian love affair: ‘…more than any other artist, they have reflected the sense of what it’s like to love and live in a small, beautiful, overlooked country.'” — Jeff Semple, Europe bureau chief, Global National News

Some info: Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

This song is from their very early career (1992) and I wouldn't say it's at all typical of their sound. But the lyrics, the storytelling, typifies their work.

Thanks for that info... I had never heard of him or the group but I have just spent the last 2 hours listening to them on YouTube

awesome
and so sad to hear of his passing even though I had never heard of him before... wow

James R.

Busy Bee
@Mythocentric @Stezza

Thanks, gents.

The Tragically Hip never really made it big out there in the world like Joni and Neil and Leonard, but truthfully I don’t think it was ever a goal of theirs.

It’s a funny thing... Fans of The Hip are happy to tell anyone and everyone about this Canadian phenomenon, while still being happy to be protective of them and keep them to ourselves. But now that Gord has passed on, we want the whole world to know what it missed while he was here and the band was whole.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Ain't that the truth James! There are a lot of people out there who deserve wider recognition but get pushed aside by the farce which calls itself the music industry these days, or remain inconspicuous except to their dedicated fans. I suppose for me, the best example of that would be Eva Cassidy. Practically unknown until her tragic death (from cancer) at such an early age. It was only thanks to Terry Wogan, who introduced her to British audiences on his radio show, that she is more widely known today. It's so very sad that such a beautiful and pure voice could have been lost forever!

I must admit that hearing Over The Rainbow usually brings tears to my eyes!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I've spent a fair bit on albums lately. The seven albums from the Moody Blues 'classic' period, four missing albums from the Rolling Stones to fill up the gaps in my collection and new albums from Tori Amos (Native Invader), Roger Waters (Is This The Life We Really Want) and then there's this guy Robert Plant, former singer with a certain Led Zeppelin. This is the title track from Carry Fire, his new album. Reminiscent of Zeppelins later albums. Shake your booty, Lorraine! The man is back!

James R.

Busy Bee
Today's workin' music. Musical comfort food.

It's cold outside today (-10C) and Bob Seger's music has always been summertime music for me. Sunshine, road trips, singing in the car.

Funny... I grew up listening to these songs, know most of them by heart, but now I'm finally old enough to understand them. ;)

Bob is recovering from recent surgery to repair a "pinched vertebrae" in his neck which caused him to cancel his rent tour.

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.11.52 AM.png

James R.

Busy Bee
I love Bob, hope he's ok!

His Twitter and Facebook accounts havenn't posted anything since Oct 23/24. Sounds like he's still recovering, though. I hope he's okay, too. I don't want to speak my worries out loud, but ... too many legends have joined the Supergroup in the Sky, lately.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Another band relatively unknown outside their home country Canada and the US. The Guess Who. You may not know the name but the song is a rock classic. This is the full length, live version.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That could be because a lot of people confuse them with The Who.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I remember the Guess Who, but you're right about a lot of folks confusing them with The Who.

BTW, I hear that song every time I watch reruns of CSI, Crime Scene Investigations. It's the show's theme song. ;)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
The 'Orrible Who, a.k.a Cross Section and The High Numbers. The Guess Who, on the other hand, probably helped to keep themselves relatively obscure by a poor name choice more than anyone else. Apart from The Who themselves, already well known, the Guess Who emerged at a time when it was popular for established artists to issue records, usually collaborations, under another name. I.e. Eric Clapton and The Allman Brothers with 'Layla', released as by Derek and the Domino's. At the time they emerged into the spotlight I recall one radio DJ suggesting that the name was actually a cover for another, well-known band which led to a large amount of speculation as to who they actually were with one character after another claiming to have proof that they were actually...(insert band name of choice here)! By the time it was obvious that they were actually called The Guess Who, their bubble had burst and relative obscurity beckoned. Pity really, because they were actually pretty decent band!