• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
I do have a lot of content considering the number of runtimes that I have, both old and new stuff, but I have pretty good processing speed. If one were to do this on an older computer, I can see where it would possibly take a couple of days, and my laptop takes its sweet time processing so I have a bare bones runtime setup on it, just for posing purposes. I'll just do one workstation at a time, so I can still work tomorrow, just in case it takes awhile. I can see where it would be necessary though, if the search function is to work right, it has to know the content is there...once it's populated, should be easy to find stuff, even if you forget where you put it.

Guess my work on HH will have to be delayed awhile...but it's next on the list.

Thanks for giving me a little push Miss B. :) Probably should go off line now...you have a great evening and I'll see you tomorrow. Time for Zzzzz :sleep:

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning...still indexing :whistling: However, the good news is, I can still do light projects while it's processing the Poser index. It's been about 12.5 hours since I began the indexing process last night at roughly 10:00 p.m.

Meanwhile...I've been playing. This EVO head freebie is a hoot. What was initially unclear to me is whether it used anything that was part of V4....but it does not...it has it's own independent geometry and rigging, which means you can parent it to anything, making it potentially a lot more fun. Here's EVO Andy, half Vulcan, and half something else, for instance. I'm using the default textures, but the head could be any color.

EVO ANDY.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
:rofl:

Seriously though, I wonder if the process is like what I've seen in the DS Parameters Tab when you select, for instance, V4's head. It's called Geometry Switching. I've never investigated into it, so don't know what makes it work.

Terre

Renowned
Both Poser and D/S can do geom swapping. It's just that most people are afraid to go into the file and edit it so they don't do it. Jim has used it quite a bit in Poser with figures and once with a prop.

skylab

Esteemed
Hi folks...hmmm....makes one wonder. However, in this case the geometry is really different, but not sure about the rigging. It's basically just a head that is auto-parented to V4 by way of a pose selection. The head shape kinda naturally reminded me of Mona Lisa...so...well, it just had to happen, okay....haha.

Terre

Renowned
It did come out well indeed.
Come to think of it you might not want to make a full character that has two heads you can switch between with geom swapping. Might make the figure too poly heavy. I don't remember what Jim has done with swapping other then that he has used it several time sand has some figures set up with swappable parts.

skylab

Esteemed
It would be a shame if this ends up being a no-no in EULAville...they put the capabilities easily accessed in the program, gets confusing when it's okay to do or not to do, that is the question....er....yeah. Anyway, the possibilities for use are numerous...and a lot funnier than V4 :)

skylab

Esteemed
I just processed what you posted Terre...he did a swap with a prop...oh that rhymes...anyway, that means full rigging can be transferred to a prop....I knew of a jerry-rigging method for props, but never thought that full rigging would work.

skylab

Esteemed
...and a two-headed figure...that could get interesting...whole new meaning to "talking your head off".

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never would've thought of rigging a prop, unless it's a desk with draws that need to be opened, or a wall with a door or windows that need to open. A prop, such as a sword, I wouldn't think would need anything but parenting to the right or left hand of the character that's going to use it.

skylab

Esteemed
I guess everyone will be nervous about being the first kiddie in the pool with Paul and Pauline being EULA-less...

skylab

Esteemed
Oh yeah, like the classic Disney cartoons, where tables walk, that sort of thing. I did jerry-rigging with a snowman...just needs arms and a center bone basically.

skylab

Esteemed
If I could rig characters, and of course model original figures....wow, probably wouldn't get a lot of sleep for the parade of ideas that dance around in my head. Then I'd need two heads..."it's your turn to stay up all night, I did it last night"...."you never listen to me, I'm just another head to you..." o_O :cautious:

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, I'm sorry, animation is my thing, can't render worth a hoot, but I like animation...and make the mistake of assuming other folks have similar train of thought. Someday I may learn to produce beautiful renders like one would see in the galleries....but you can bet I'd be trying to figure out how to make it move, and wouldn't have a clue about appreciating the lighting techniques.

Miss B

CV-BEE
No need to apologize. I didn't realize you were into animation. A lot of folks are. I haven't done any kind of animation since I stopped creating Flash site banners for clients, and never got into it all the years I've been working in 3D.

I enjoy seeing them, especially some of the really well done professional "movies" I've seen done with the likes of software like Blender. I have a lot of respect for folks who can do animation. I remember trying to figure out how to make Vicky 3 walk across the screen back in Poser 5. I gave up after a while. ;)

Terre

Renowned
I never would've thought of rigging a prop, unless it's a desk with draws that need to be opened, or a wall with a door or windows that need to open. A prop, such as a sword, I wouldn't think would need anything but parenting to the right or left hand of the character that's going to use it.
The prop was a little black box with led numbers with the lights to make the numbers being the swappable things..