• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Members Mugs (Mugshots)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think I've seen those Trek images before - love them!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ya know Alisa, I think I've seen them as well. Lyne probably had posted them on the old forum.

quietrob

Extraordinary
blush, thanks.... I may SO not look like that now... (being allergic to all make up/hair perm stuff etc.) BUT at least I HAD those days/experiences... My Mom in law actually went to those cons WITH ME... how cool is that!? :)

That is very cool! Our parents are cooler than we know but if they haven't done anything like that, it's a new experience for them. It's those new experiences that help keep us young. Plus extra points for your mother-in-law giving other mother-in-laws a good name!

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
As a child into my 20's they were brown, very brown. Then they began lightening and now they are central heterochromic, with light brown in the center around the pupil, mossy green around that and then slate grey in the ring around the outside..

I didn't know that eyes changed colour with age. I thought they stayed the same, which is why airports are scanning eyes as ID.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think the eye scanning doesn't go by colour. Mine change on a daily basis (or depending on my mood :p) generally you'd call them blue. But sometimes they are a grey blue, a very dark blue or light blue (in photos they tended to be a bright blue). Also can depend on what I'm wearing they can be veryslightly green blue.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have to wonder why airports use eye scanning, since most folks have never had their eyes scanned before, so what could the airports possibly be checking against.

Now fingerprints, that's different. When I was in college back in the '60s, I worked for a bank, and they made it a practice to fingerprint all their employees, not just the tellers, so if someone wanted to check my fingerprints, they'd probably find them somewhere in some old database, but I've never held a job that would require my eyes be scanned for any reason, so I think doing it at an airport is a waste of time. Unless, of course, the next time you fly with a particular airline, they would then have your eye scan on record.

Carey

Extraordinary
I have to wonder why airports use eye scanning, since most folks have never had their eyes scanned before, so what could the airports possibly be checking against.

Now fingerprints, that's different. When I was in college back in the '60s, I worked for a bank, and they made it a practice to fingerprint all their employees, not just the tellers, so if someone wanted to check my fingerprints, they'd probably find them somewhere in some old database, but I've never held a job that would require my eyes be scanned for any reason, so I think doing it at an airport is a waste of time. Unless, of course, the next time you fly with a particular airline, they would then have your eye scan on record.
It is like leash training a dog, it its all about taking control and getting the dog used to you being in near total control... Get the feeling your being treated like so much cattle... congratulations, your beginning to catch on...

Miss B

CV-BEE
True, that pretty much sums it up Carey. I haven't traveled anywhere by plane in a very long time, but the only time I was really miffed was my trip to Israel, as it was my first time flying on El Al. Now THAT was not an experience I want to go through again, as they make you go behind a screen, and an El Al employee "pats you down", and trust me when I say, she was pretty rough about it, if you know what I mean.

This was back in the early 70's, so I can just imagine what you have to go through flying El Al these days. ~cringe~

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I didn't know that eyes changed colour with age. I thought they stayed the same, which is why airports are scanning eyes as ID.

It is possible to change the iris color, but not easy, and it does depend on your nationality/ethnicity as to how much. If they are scanning eyes, it's likely that they are scanning retinas, as those are as individual as fingerprints. Check into iridology if you want to know how much eyes can change. They reflect many things about our health.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
... trip to Israel, as it was my first time flying on El Al. Now THAT was not an experience I want to go through again, as they make you go behind a screen, and an El Al employee "pats you down", and trust me when I say, she was pretty rough about it, if you know what I mean.

This was back in the early 70's, so I can just imagine what you have to go through flying El Al these days. ~cringe~
Hmmm... Maybe it's because that was shortly after the first wave of muslim hijackers, and nobody had yet developed a good security system.
El Al, being Israeli, is of course the most coveted airline target of muslim terrorists. I traveled multiple times to/from Israel during the 90's and 00's, and much preferred El Al. My experience was that some pretty young El Al gal would strike up a conversation and ask me many questions. They are discreet, respectful, and very good at detecting deceit. No touching involved.
I always traveled with a lot of heavily laden bags, with quite interesting multi-spectrum scanner responses. I got a lot of questions. They called the local (to my destination) military commander at 3am Israel time to get his judgement. But once they were satisfied, they checked seven large and heavy cases at no extra charge, gave me an exit row seat, and one of the security gals invited me to her and her brother's place for barbecue. :D

El Al has the best security, plus their pilots are former Israeli Air Force, and their planes have a few extra modifications for evading missiles.
They also have quite good food.:p

Back home, I've undergone background checks, mug photos, and fingerprinting for NFA1934 tax stamps. Every time I would buy a full-auto weapon or a supressor, I'd have to fill out the federal paperwork, go through the background check, fingerprinting, photos, etc. Then it takes about six months for the federal paperwork to clear. But then, as a fire commander and arson investigator, I always had periodic photo IDs and range qualification anyway.

So, while I recognize the threat of misuse of identifying data, I figure the powers that be already have me identified.:ninja:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmm... Maybe it's because that was shortly after the first wave of muslim hijackers, and nobody had yet developed a good security system.
El Al, being Israeli, is of course the most coveted airline target of muslim terrorists. I traveled multiple times to/from Israel during the 90's and 00's, and much preferred El Al. My experience was that some pretty young El Al gal would strike up a conversation and ask me many questions. They are discreet, respectful, and very good at detecting deceit. No touching involved.
I think too it was only a year after the 6 day war, so yes, they must've been on high alert. My parents went the year before I did, but my Mom never mentioned anything about the "pat down", so it's possible they were more interested in 4 girls in their 20s, than 2 senior citizens. That said, there was nothing unusual during the flight, it was just before getting on the plane, and I probably wouldn't have minded, but we were given no warning, which you would think the travel agent that booked the flights for us would've known, and mentioned.

El Al has the best security, plus their pilots are former Israeli Air Force, and their planes have a few extra modifications for evading missiles.
They also have quite good food.:p
It was too long ago for me to recall the food, but I'm sure it was good.

So, while I recognize the threat of misuse of identifying data, I figure the powers that be already have me identified.:ninja:
Uhhhh, yeah I would think so. ;)

KristinF

Inspired
Taken at Tamar lake (near where I live)

tamar.jpg