• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Work In Progress On Eli

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Oh... Cliff, didn't see you here for a sec... WELCOME to you also...and one reason so many love HW is that it's a safe, warm, caring, sharing and super friendly community! :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I can't really say that I'm utterly surprised that the elephant is a somewhat special case. Nearly all the other animals are based off of either the horse or the cats and their rigging is likely to just need adaptation and fine tuning. Sometimes, maybe a lot of adaptation and fine tuning. But elephants don't move like horses OR cats. And they are a whole different shape, not just a somewhat different shape with somewhat different proportions.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Heya Cliff!

It would be great if you are interested in rigging any of the upcoming animals! Have you seen the warthog?

HiveWire Warthog from Harry

Yeah, our good friend and talented Sparky is giving this one a go. I've got the mane positioned for her now, just a couple last things to UV and off it goes to her.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hi guys.

I have a personal love for elephants - always have done. In fact, the first walk cycle I ever created for Poser was for Deb Ross's African Elephant.

I have really rather a lot on my plate at the moment and am concerned about making promises that I may not be able to live up to - but is there at least a list somewhere of projects awaiting rigging? If there are figures as appealing as elephants, dragons, dinosaurs etc. I'd love to pick one to play with and see if I can find the time to do a decent job.

I'm only interested in doing a decent job. With the Elephant and Big Cat already handled I'm not sure what there is that would appeal to me - and I don't think I am able to do a GOOD job on anything that doesn't appeal to me.

Cheers,

Cliff

View attachment 31361

PS I also have ZERO interest in stepping on any toes. Simply not interested in any politics or BS at all

PPS I tend to be passionate. It's a thing. I love Poser, but DS has a lot going for it too. I would probably prefer to rig in DAZ Studio and then transfer that to Poser, and tweak than go the other way simply because I believe that direction of travel is easier for rigging information.

Cliff, good to see you here. My email is chris@hivewire3d.com. I'd like to Skype with you and see if we can get something going. You may want to consider checking out our Dragon thread here:

HiveWire Dragon Begins

I've unpinned several work in progress threads, if they're just sitting with not much progress. Once I get the modeling done, they often sit, and folks wait, and wait, and then wait some more, then lose interest and move on to something else that is shiny. Which is unfortunate. I morphed this Dragon of ours, and the potential coming from the Big Cat and sharing morphs will be awesome. So scan thru the thread and see if you might find something that appeals to you. Then we can chat.

eclark1894

Visionary
FYI I'm rigging in steps. There will be some (SOME) basic geometric zone rigging under the weight maps. That means it will be in a state where it can eventually be ported to DS. It will also feature some P11 goodies like linear deforms and control props. Don't get too excited this is only about 8 hours of rigging. There's a long way to go. P.S. I know elephants don't walk that way. I'm just messing with bendieness.
View attachment 31330
PISTASCHIO!:)

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
A slightly embarrassed wave from me - I didn't expect such a warm round of greetings!

To be honest, one of the main privileges of doing 3D work in this kind of community is getting mentioned in the same breath people like Charles, Ken, and so forth. The work these folks do... well, as I say - being mentioned in the same breath is one of the perks!

I would be MORE than happy to take a look as DS-ising the Indian Elephant if Charles doesn't want to. But as with the warthog, my FIRST consideration has to be other people's toes. So as someone - anyone - has already put their hand up for the warthog, I wouldn't even consider it. I'd heartily recommend that Charles take a look at converting the elephant himself if he wants to/can. I am a LOT more interested in fiddling with 3D figures than I am in upsetting anyone even a little bit, and learning new stuff.

I'm going to scan the dragon thread first, then see what else I can pick out quickly looong before I install Skype on anything to contact Chris so tha tI have something to discuss. Please bear in mind that I'll be doing this in spare moments I can grab between my "day job" and family life (and I'm working all day Saturday as my schedule currently stands). The difference between 3D and my main job in IT is that 3D is interesting ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

eclark1894

Visionary
Cliff, good to see you here. My email is chris@hivewire3d.com. I'd like to Skype with you and see if we can get something going. You may want to consider checking out our Dragon thread here:

HiveWire Dragon Begins

I've unpinned several work in progress threads, if they're just sitting with not much progress. Once I get the modeling done, they often sit, and folks wait, and wait, and then wait some more, then lose interest and move on to something else that is shiny.

I DO NOT! Oooh, what's that? Shiny!!!:geek:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Isn't that the truth!

Coding is ok. But 3D is a heck of a lot more interesting. And ... what I create is mine. Which isn't the case with the program I support. It's so hard to step back from a program I have supported for over 10 years and accept that even though I've coded like 99% of it ... it isn't MINE.

The difference between 3D and my main job in IT is that 3D is interesting ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
A slightly embarrassed wave from me - I didn't expect such a warm round of greetings!

I'd have said "welcome", but I already did that when you posted last month in the Big Cat thread. Just in case you missed it - welcome! :)

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I can't really say that I'm utterly surprised that the elephant is a somewhat special case. Nearly all the other animals are based off of either the horse or the cats and their rigging is likely to just need adaptation and fine tuning. Sometimes, maybe a lot of adaptation and fine tuning. But elephants don't move like horses OR cats. And they are a whole different shape, not just a somewhat different shape with somewhat different proportions.
Not to mention the trunk! That's a whole job in itself! :)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary

To be honest, one of the main privileges of doing 3D work in this kind of community is getting mentioned in the same breath people like Charles, Ken, and so forth. The work these folks do... well, as I say - being mentioned in the same breath is one of the perks!

I would be MORE than happy to take a look as DS-ising the Indian Elephant if Charles doesn't want to. But as with the warthog, my FIRST consideration has to be other people's toes. So as someone - anyone - has already put their hand up for the warthog, I wouldn't even consider it. I'd heartily recommend that Charles take a look at converting the elephant himself if he wants to/can. I am a LOT more interested in fiddling with 3D figures than I am in upsetting anyone even a little bit, and learning new stuff.

I'm going to scan the dragon thread first, then see what else I can pick out quickly looong before I install Skype on anything to contact Chris so tha tI have something to discuss. Please bear in mind that I'll be doing this in spare moments I can grab between my "day job" and family life (and I'm working all day Saturday as my schedule currently stands). The difference between 3D and my main job in IT is that 3D is interesting ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

That's the Hive Cliff! Warm (and genuine) greetings are a way of life around here! The key word here is COMMUNITY, regardless of the platform you support, we're all in the same 3D boat, and all heading in the same direction. OK! We may not always be sure what direction that is, but what the heck, we're sure having fun getting there! We've even been accused of being' too nice' by some people, but for me, that counts as a bonus. So, no matter how much, or little you get involved, just jump in and above all ENJOY!*

*OK! I'm outta here! I'm getting the urge to wrap myself in a sheet and dance down the road singing Hairy Krishner! :eek:

Nerd3D

Motivated
Contributing Artist
Sit Elle, sit. I'm learning a lot about elephants. They frequently sit on their butt, just like humans. They can also kneel which in something humans do too.

This rig will include P11 features but will be backward compatible to at least P10. My rigging process includes creating old style geometric joints as a starting point for most joints. So when it comes time for DS support there will be a strong starting point at least for a Triax rig.

@Cliff Bowman "Living like a refugee." (from DAZ)

Elle Sits.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, seriously cool, Chuck!

Poser 10 is all we need backward compatibility to - all new HW products now require Poser 10+ :)

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Good to hear on the compatability and I do love that sitting elephant, big floppy ears and we got Dumbo the teenage years ;)

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
@Alisa Sorry I haven't mentioned everyone by name - but no, you weren't missed back then (when those who REALLY cared about me said "Hi" :p )

Also great to hear a comment on the level of Poser backward-compatibility that's expected... similar for DS would be nice (DS 4.5? 4.0? etc.) as would a slew of other questions I have for Chris

@Chris aside from my general business and slowness, I'm in the United Kingdom - so I'll be looking to contact you one evening "my time". I still haven't' set Skype up yet, so I don't have a handle to give you - I'll aim to do that RSN.

@Nerd LOL! Elephants are crazy great animals. Often covered in bristly hair (very thinly placed - I don't know if they worry about being described as "balding"). My son once frustrated a gang of elephant handlers at a localish zoo because the elephants were on walkabout and he kept approaching the baby... which, the keepers insisted, was worrying the adults who considered my boy to be a threat, possibly a predator.

Cheers,

Cliff