• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Work In Progress On Eli

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Much agreed about the skin patterns and pigments. I'd love to see them painted up for ceremonial occasions as well.

985b31ff77267c9f5eb144cac3f8cfc0.jpg
indias-painted-elephants-460.jpg
Painted-Elephant-Jaipur_rbdwq9.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I gather that there are festivals in India where they paint patterns on the elephants.

ETA: Aha! You got there before me!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That pattern on the elephant at the top left is gorgeous, such detail. I just can't imagine the elephant standing still long enough to get painted like that.

Harimau

Eager
Wow, Sparky! That's a very nice Indricotherium (formerly known as Baluchiterium, but nowadays known as Paraceratherium). Its reconstruction has changed quite a few times over the last 100 years (see below).

Paraceratherium skeletal reconstructions.jpg

Paraceratherium has been variably reconstructed over the years, with particular disagreement over how long the neck was compared to the body. So far, a consensus on the life appearance of these animals has yet to be reached.

The latest reconstructions give it a tapir-like proboscis, and large, even elephantine ears:
9780253008190_lrg.jpg

This one is from Donald Prothero's recent book.

Paraceratherium Witton 2016 low res.jpg

This one is by Mark Witton, the famous palaeontologist and palaeoartist.

For more information you can read Mark's article here:

Mark Witton.com Blog: Trunk or no trunk, small or giant ears, long or short neck... what did the giant rhinocerotoid Paraceratherium really look like?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Harimau , years ago I read a very old book that was talking about the origin of the dragon myths. In it they talked about how when they first found dinosaur bones they didn't understand how to put them together and they used to get all muddled up with lots of different creatures mixed together. Thanks for the info it looks really interesting.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@Harimau , years ago I read a very old book that was talking about the origin of the dragon myths. In it they talked about how when they first found dinosaur bones they didn't understand how to put them together and they used to get all muddled up with lots of different creatures mixed together. Thanks for the info it looks really interesting.
And small historical detail: supposed that mythological Indric (so Indricotherium) came to live in humans heads from mammothes and woolly rhinoceroses bones.

Ivory Elephant

Adventurous
One other big thing that I have noticed with a lot of models is the lack of distinction between sexes. There are noticeable differences between male and female elephants. If I knew how to make morphs I would help with the project. I am still really new at 3D all thinks considered.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Funny that. I always suspected that was where the whole myth of dragons came from: First found Dinosaur bones.You can see a lot of one in the other. Can't imagine what those old cultures thought finding them. Thanks for setting the record straight for me once and for all.

eclark1894

Visionary
One other big thing that I have noticed with a lot of models is the lack of distinction between sexes. There are noticeable differences between male and female elephants. If I knew how to make morphs I would help with the project. I am still really new at 3D all thinks considered.
Maybe those elephants are transgender.:sneaky:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary

Good idea but I think most of the Poser community is more interested in creating
Pretty pictures and less interested in gender details of the bones of long lost animals or creatures. If the bones or body details of humans or contemporay animals might be a different story because we are more used to seeing details there so makes sense to creating content that feels real....at least,for me. For instance when I look at a mythological creature like a centaur or satyr or Minotaur a creature with both human and animal details, I get obsessed about the details and proportions which in the past has caused me problems with content creators who frustrated remind me it is only make believe and since no one has ever seen any such creature it doesn't matter. Yet to someone who has looked at thousands of countless Images all their creative life, proportions that smack of realism are important or, at least should be, important especial if used side by side with a better recognized and more realistic human figure.

If the creature, (or animal) looks, so obvious disproportional in shape or badly textured or "extremely TOON" I just can't get too excite about using it let alone spending money on it most especially if aiming for a somewhat "realistic" final image? All good for humor but don't do much of that.

The beauty of the Hivewire animals for instance is exactly their realistic details able, to not only stand alone but best of all, stand side by side, with human figures and look/feel real. I hope if any other creatures or animals are offered here their creators adhere to the same vision and standards.
I guess then the difference between genders of said animals might to some degree be a legit request......sorta! LOL
Sorry a bit long winded here.....been a while since I have visited so I'll just crawl back into the wood work!

Last edited: