• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What I worked on today

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I thought I would share our latest ZBrush night class assignment, this drone machine from the "Oblivion" movie. Here is a reference image:

The assignment is in two parts (first part is to model and texture the drone, second part is to make a simple animation of it) and we have a month for each part which will wrap up the end of term before the summer break.
I'm not really into making war machines and weapons. We knew it was going to be a vehicle of some kind and I was hoping it would be a car or bus or other real world vehicle, but I'll give it a go. There are plenty of reference images on the www and the drone isn't looking too difficult, just some booleans with spheres and cylinders and other simple stuff.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I could box model that in Wings 3D in about 30 minutes. I am starting on learning Blender, but without internet access full time, I have to do it trial and error. Mostly error...

I hope you will be posting your work in progress. I am interested to see how you tackle this...

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I hope you will be posting your work in progress. I am interested to see how you tackle this...

Yes I'll post some progress pics when I get started. I still would have liked to make a car instead as the drone isn't much of a challenge, but apparently the college sets the agenda and the tutors have to follow it, so the drone it is.

By the way, I've never see that Oblivion movie. I should watch it over the weekend and see if it gives me any clues for the animation stage of the assignment.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yes I'll post some progress pics when I get started. I still would have liked to make a car instead as the drone isn't much of a challenge, but apparently the college sets the agenda and the tutors have to follow it, so the drone it is.

By the way, I've never see that Oblivion movie. I should watch it over the weekend and see if it gives me any clues for the animation stage of the assignment.
I've never seen it either. I have seen lots of images on google of that drone, though.

quietrob

Extraordinary
It's an excellent movie. Not as good as the Edge of Tomorrow but still pretty good. I hope they offer Zbrush when if I can attend class next semester. Is the software part of the class or is it like buying a school book?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
.....Is the software part of the class or is it like buying a school book?

The software is provided in the college course. I think the way it works is that they buy a licence that gives them a large number of seats so that a whole class of us can use ZBrush at the same time. I have my own ZBrush licence so I can use it at home, which is where I learn more than in the classroom.

Hornet3d

Wise

Looks as though we will be watching the same movie this weekend. I just upgraded my blue ray player to 4K and purchased the 4K version of this movie to give it a run this weekend.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Should be nice in 4k Hornet. I found out last night that my older brother purchased the movie in the Apple store so I will be able to watch it in my bedroom tonight, in peace. Well not entirely in peace, one of my friends is sleeping over with me so she will have to watch Oblivion with me and she can pick the second movie. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Should be nice in 4k Hornet. I found out last night that my older brother purchased the movie in the Apple store so I will be able to watch it in my bedroom tonight, in peace. Well not entirely in peace, one of my friends is sleeping over with me so she will have to watch Oblivion with me and she can pick the second movie. :)

I am into sci-fi anyway but one of the reasons I chose this was that a few reviewers said it was pictorially great. Just a strange coincidence for me to pick this for my weekend viewing and then see you have a project on a drone from the same movie.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I think the reason we were asked to do a drone instead of a car was to cater for the slower learners in the class. I know some of them will struggle even with the drone and a car would be asking too much of them.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks Pen, but that picture is only a reference image. I will start the drone after the weekend. I just got home from my brothers girlfriend 21st birthday party and am only fit for bed! :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I put about five hours into the drone today. When I was looking for reference pictures, I didn't realize there were so many little variations on the original (of which there are very few decent references). We have a bit of latitude for this and after looking at tons of pics of toy model drones, 2D and 3D drone artwork and clips from the actual movie, I've settled on a look, and below is my progress today.

drone1.jpg

drone2.jpg

drone3.jpg

drone4.jpg

There is still a few hours work to do, like the little antennas, side scoops, vent holes at the back and some other stuff.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I forgot to mention there are prizes for the best work, sponsored by a Dublin VFX studio, which is why I put the hours in today and am about 70% done with the model and still have five weeks to spare!

The best drone model winner gets a Wacom Mobile studio pro 16". Best animation wins a Wacom Intuos Pro M. These are good prizes and I want one!