• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What I worked on today

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I still can't afford even the student license, so it's a moot point.

Yes it is expensive, over 50% the price of the full version. Most educational software costs a lot less in % compared to full versions. It's a pity you can't use the trial version on your ship, ZBrush would be ideal for the cool stuff you make.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yes it is expensive, over 50% the price of the full version. Most educational software costs a lot less in % compared to full versions. It's a pity you can't use the trial version on your ship, ZBrush would be ideal for the cool stuff you make.
Thanks. Maybe one day...

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Out of curiosity Rokket, why doesn't the internet work on ships? My grandparents went on a cruise ship one time and I'm sure they mentioned having internet, they were able to use Skype and Facetime to keep in touch with us. Don't ships need internet for navigating?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Rokket work's on the ship he's on, and I'm pretty sure it's not a cruise ship, though I don't recall what their purpose is.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
A cruise ship has a large assemblage of passengers, so it is economically viable to subscribe to a satellite internet service, since the cost is spread over a large number of paying passengers. @Rokket is on a fast transport; lots of cargo, but not many people onboard.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
What @seachnasaigh said. And I'll add: we work for the US Navy, so we are at their beck and call. And we are not allowed to connect our personal devices to the ship's internet. It's a gov't server.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Well that doesn't sound good Rokket, stuck on a cargo ship with no internet to pass in your spare time. I hope you get paid plenty of money to make up for it. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Back to the drone. I did the main eye tonight on the front panel, got rid of the basic preview one I had there and did it properly. I'll do the other sensors/speakers over the coming days.

drone11.jpg

drone12.jpg

drone13.jpg

Here is one of the more decent reference images I found online that I'm using to guide me:

drone166viz.jpg

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Well that doesn't sound good Rokket, stuck on a cargo ship with no internet to pass in your spare time. I hope you get paid plenty of money to make up for it. :)
I sometimes make pretty good money. It's enough to keep my family comfortable. We have internet access, but not for our personal devices.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
What program (and render engine) are you using to do the renders? What render engine are you going to use for the animation?

I used Keyshot for these renders. We all have to use ZBrush for the modeling and Keyshot for our animations as it is provided as part of this years course we are doing, that way it's a level playing field for everyone. The animation has to be ten seconds and 300 frames. We have to provide some screen shots and ZBrush project file saves of our progress as proof.

I won't win the animation prize as one of the guys in the class works for an animation house and that's what he does for a living. He is slow learning ZBrush, so I'm putting a big effort into the modeling to have a chance at the prize for that.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I'm really liking the way this is turning out Bonnie. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I went in to the school library today to try and find what font is used for the large ID number on the front of the drones. None of the teachers had been able to help me and they suggested the librarian might, so I went down and she asked me to come back at 3pm. She came up with the result, Neuro is the font and she even emailed the ttf file to me. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
That reminds me, the librarian asked me how did I make the drone and I tried to explain. But after a short time it dawned on me that she really had no idea what I was talking about, her eyes glazed over right on front of me.
Does anyone else find it hard to explain how CG models are made when asked by people who don't know? It definitely isn't as easy as explaining how to browse the internet or download apps!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, folks who have no idea about working with 3D models really get lost when you try to explain anything to them, even just how you pose a character. They understand "their" joints, but don't understand a 3D model's joints, or how you can move them by changing the number of a dial rotation.