• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What I worked on today

Rokket

Dances with Bees
That might work Rokket!
It does, especially when you lead off with that statement. Explaining 3D modeling to someone who has no concept can be grueling, so I always tell them that my hobby consists of software and a skill set that would allow me to make my own Disney or Pixar movie. Then they usually don't ask too much after that. Mainly because they are not that interested in it.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
At least! Brush does so much that 30 days trial really isn't anywhere near enough!
Been there, done that. I downloaded the 45 day trial awhile back. I had it for 3 days when we got underway and it wouldn't let me back in since I had no internet access. Bummer. I did manage to learn a couple of the features, but I was a looooong way off being able to create a model with it.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I got some more drone work done today :).

I don't know what these things are (little speakers, or sniffer sensors?) on the top left of the front panel, but I made them anyway. Chromed rings on all of them and also a chrome outer ring.

drone18.jpg

The speaker on the bottom right of the panel.

drone15.jpg

drone16.jpg

I used booleans with a cylinder triplicated and the outer cylinders angled (hold up a thumb and first two fingers to get the idea) to cut these holes on each front/side of the drones main body. I'm actually very pleased with that small detail. Here is the left side in ZBrush after boolying....

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpg

....and right side rendered in Keyshot.
drone17.jpg

Last edited:

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
There isn't a lot left to do to finish this. Some more front panel detailing, vent holes in the back of the body, a couple of antennas. Tidy up some stray geometry and any errors I made. I should have it all done this coming week, almost a full month ahead of deadline for the modeling stage of the competition. That will give me lots of time to do the animation.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
What's this drone do? Play music? Take video? I'm just thinking about what you could do with the animation. Maybe it could fly low over people in the park.

Dylan

Eager
What's this drone do? Play music? Take video? I'm just thinking about what you could do with the animation. Maybe it could fly low over people in the park.

I haven't seen Oblivion Janet, but I think they are killer drones and would more than likely shoot down on people in the park!

Very nice work Bonnie, you are certainly putting a lot of effort into this. I hope you win a prize for this, if I was on the judging panel I would give your drone my vote. As you know, the panel will be made up from some of the college senior CG teachers and the prize sponsors. They won't know who owns each entry, which is a fair way of doing it. Anyway, the best of luck with it!

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I'm on the final stretch now. I got all the front panel details finished, rendering some shots for here as I'm typing.

The number 166 on the hatch is actual geometry done with the ZBrush text & vector tool.

drone21.jpg

drone22.jpg

drone23.jpg

This closer shot of one of the sensors shows the grille in better detail.

drone24.jpg

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I can't wait to see what you come up with for animation. Are you allowed to release it as a freebie?

Don't expect miracles from my animation as I'm new to that , but I will do my best. I'll need to check the terms and conditions to see if I can share the drone. I never bothered reading the T&C's past the part letting us know what size/format etc. for our renders, I guess nobody ever reads the full thing. ;)

I will be glad to share the drone if I'm allowed to, after I win a prize (I may as well be confident about my chances). :)