• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that our store and forum are on two separate servers so you will require a separate login for each. The store will ask you for your Real Name (WILL NOT BE displayed to the public) and the forum will ask you for a User Name (WILL BE displayed to the public). You may use the same email address and password for both.
  • The 14th Annual Songbird Remix Open Rendering Season Contest is now open! See the contest thread for details.

Towards better grass in Poser...

3dcheapskate

Adventurous
Regarding magnets - after a few fairly simple tests it appears that they don't work with a figure that uses geometry swapping.

3dcheapskate

Adventurous
Also ran into a minor problem trying to use both (1) geometry variant dials for each individual actors, and (2) a master dial that controls all of the actors together. Poser (I've tried PP2014 and Poser 11) appears to set the min/max values for the variant dials for each actor ('geomChan' sections in the CR2) in accordance with the actual number of alternate geometries ('alternateGeom' sections in the CR2) for that actor, and sets 'Force Limits'true. Regardless of theMin/Max/ForceLimits settings in the 'geomChan' section in the CR2. It seems that you can change them by right-clicking the dial,selecting settings, and making changes - but if you do the same again you'll see that they didn't actually change. This makes perfect sense - you wouldn't want to set an invalid number for the alternate geometry. However, if you use the master dial to set all actors to say geometry variant 2, then the geometry variant dials for the individual actors cannot be set to -2 or-1, which would be necessary to actually select geometry variants 0 and 1 respectively.
The workaround I can see is to have a master dial on each actor with a range from-N to+N which drives the actual geometry variant dial. The overall master variant dial could then drive these individual master dials, which drive the actualgeometry variant dials. Alternatively, the overall master and the individual actor masters could both drive the actual geometry dial. Either way the min/max/forcelimits on the actual geometry dial will ensure only valid values.
But the extra dial on each actor makes it a bit less tidy than I'd wanted.

Last edited:

DanaTA

Extraordinary
If I'd just exported the grass from the first 37 hexes and used that as my new mesh that would have been 37x176=6512 faces. I manually deleted a load of grass to reduce it to 2515 faces (arbitrary figure)
View attachment 60487View attachment 60488
That tool looks pretty nifty, but apparently it hasn't been tested on a Mac (and not all Poser Python things work on a Mac, depending on the python library used), so I haven't purchased it. But I look forward to hearing from others how it works!
Ken is working on a Mac version and says it's showing promise. It may be ready soon, from what I understand.

Dana

3dcheapskate

Adventurous
I've been busy on other non-3D stuff for a while and forgot to post this:
What if I use that 2515 face grass geom for one of the original 0.2PNU hex tiles instead of the hex tile scaled up to 616% ? The grass will be just over 80% shorter, but what will it look like ?

Render 2.jpg

The plethora of blades pointing towards the top left rather spoils it for me, but as I said before that's simply because I forgot to randomly rotate each of the original geometriesafter loading the original figure, before exporting it as an OBJ.
The grass all looks to be the same length, even though there is actually some variation. Probably a good basis for a manicured lawn.

3dcheapskate

Adventurous
And now a ridiculously hugely high-poly grass...
Render .jpg

...a whopping* 20 faces per stalk ! Most of that in the stalk, which is 3-sided (1-sided and 2-sided just didn't do it for me) with 4 segments so I can bend it a bit. Which I forgot to do. I do that a lot. Forget.

uhpg.jpg

Probably want more height variation too.

*Yes, my planet is different from most peoples... (should that s be apostrophesised ?)

Last edited:

3dcheapskate

Adventurous
Still haven't worked out how to cope with groundplanes that are non-totally-flat surfaces. Maybe I'll leave that for Ken1171's scatter tool ? :)