• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Towards better grass in Poser...

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
now now, don't say that. Folks want you to succeed. I finally got Poser 13 up and running but now I'm busy with real life work. It's always something.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
:D
Don't worry, my code's intentionally cobbled together in such a way as to be anathema to real software engineers. ;)
But my code works, and that's how you can tell that I'm a software monkey.

Cue 3dcheapskate monkeying around like King Louie in the Disney version of the Jungle Book singing "Oo-be-do, don't wanna code like you-ou-ou"

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Just posted this over in my Renderosity gallery

aa125767d3e4955f12e68d8002382972_original.jpg

In the end I used nine of the 37-hex grass figures scaled down. I started with just one figure using random new grass geometries and random 60 degree rotations but it looked too sparse. So I added a second in the same place and randomized in the same way. But some of hexes ended up with the same geometry (there are 5 new grass geometries to select from) and rotations (there are 6 sixty degree rotations) - what are the chances of that* ? - and it still looked a bit sparse. So I added a third and used 1 degree increments for the rotations on all three. Much better, and applying my ground texture to the ground of the Poser construct covered any remaining gaps, although with ray-traced lights the shadows of the grass mad it okay even with a white ground.

But the edge of my three overlaid hex figures was very distinct - grass where the figure is, just the brownish ground texture where it isn't. So I parented the second and third figures to the first and then duplicated the first figure, twice, moving one back and left, the other back and right. Better, but the far edge of those was now distinct. So I just used Poser's DepthCue to hide it - I think I used the basic one, although I may have used my own version of the bagginsbill one from post #13 here.

With nine of my hex figures the render time slowed noticeably, but not drastcally, so I'm quite pleased.

It's a nice flat lawn :)

*Let's work it out just for fun (I had to do a refresher on... not probability, but how to add and multiply fractions !)

For a single hex in the second figure to have the same geometry and rotation as the same hex in the first figure it must have the same geometry (1/5) and (*) the same rotation (1/6), so (1/5)*(1/6)=(1/30)

And for a single hex in the second figure to not match the geometry and rotation of the corresponding hex in the first figure, the geometry must be different (4/5) or (the geometry's the same (1/5) and (*) the rotation's different (1/6)), so (4/5)+((1/5)*(5/6))=(29/30)

So for all 37 hexes in the second figure to not match the geometry and rotation of the corresponding hexes in the first figure the first hex mustn't match (29/30) and (*) the second mustn't match (29/30) etc=(29/30)^37, which my calculator tells me is just over 28.5%.

So the chance of at least one hex in the second figure being identical to the corresponding hex in the first figure is a bit over 70%.

Last edited:

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I will look into trying it when I have some time. I have no idea when that might be though.