• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

unreal

Noteworthy
That's it! That's why mine are prone to exploding. I though I had over-torqued the epicyclic slide fasteners. Simply a question of Material durability. I knew I should have used unobtanium. I'm going to have to remachine the module and remember to match the dimensions to an even multiplier of the frequency of the aetheric multiplicator waves.

Thanks for that!

eclark1894

Visionary
I don't know about floating...I think it would be more like flung off the planet! At the equator, those on the surface of the planet are moving at about 1,000 mph! And our orbital speed (around the Sun) is 67,000 mph! If Earth suddenly stopped moving...everything would be flung off...I think even mountains would be ripped off...that's just a guess, of course. But surely, anything not part of the planet, not "nailed down", would shoot off into space like a stone from a slingshot. Actually, a lot faster than that. Gravity is the weakest of the four forces. Gravity is really weak!

Dana
For the record, no, we wouldn't be flung off into space. Gravity is more an effect of attraction to mass. The moon doesn't rotate and yet, it still has gravity. You can leap further on the moon, but you still can't fly. If anything, with the speed the earth is rotating, THAT would be more likely to fling us off into space than anything.

DanaTA

Distinguished
For the record, no, we wouldn't be flung off into space. Gravity is more an effect of attraction to mass. The moon doesn't rotate and yet, it still has gravity. You can leap further on the moon, but you still can't fly. If anything, with the speed the earth is rotating, THAT would be more likely to fling us off into space than anything.
Gravity is not that strong. If the Earth merely stopped rotating suddenly, everything would be thrown, quite violently, eastward. And not by a few feet. But that's just stopping the rotation suddenly. If the Earth stopped all motion, meaning the revolution around the sun and the movement along with the solar system in the galaxy, that would be truly catastrophic. The eastward fling would also become and outward fling. Not just us, but much of the surface, and the oceans, would be thrown off. That was the thing that made me comment. What if the Earth stopped?

Satira Capriccio said:
If we were to stop the planet ... would there not no longer be gravity? If there were no gravity ... would we not all "float" off into space?

So, gravity would not end, no, but the force of momentum would be much stronger than the force of gravity. Thankfully, I can't imagine anything that could cause that, so we're safe.

What if the Earth stopped spinning

Dana

unreal

Noteworthy
Gravity is not that strong. If the Earth merely stopped rotating suddenly, everything would be thrown, quite violently, eastward. And not by a few feet. But that's just stopping the rotation suddenly. If the Earth stopped all motion, meaning the revolution around the sun and the movement along with the solar system in the galaxy, that would be truly catastrophic. The eastward fling would also become and outward fling. Not just us, but much of the surface, and the oceans, would be thrown off. That was the thing that made me comment. What if the Earth stopped?

Satira Capriccio said:
If we were to stop the planet ... would there not no longer be gravity? If there were no gravity ... would we not all "float" off into space?

So, gravity would not end, no, but the force of momentum would be much stronger than the force of gravity. Thankfully, I can't imagine anything that could cause that, so we're safe.

What if the Earth stopped spinning

Dana
Well then, I vote to keep it moving.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
in the last 2 and a bit years I've experienced an
unprecedented bush fire
an
unprecedented pandemic
several 1 in 1,000 years floods in a month that were unprecedented !
The threat of war
a fractured foot

but today is a nice day :inverted: :blossom::shineon:

unreal

Noteworthy
in the last 2 and a bit years I've experienced an
unprecedented bush fire
an
unprecedented pandemic
several 1 in 1,000 years floods in a month that were unprecedented !
The threat of war
a fractured foot

but today is a nice day :inverted: :blossom::shineon:
You forgot last year's flood. And the first recession in decades. Followed by Inflation.

Sorry about the foot. That sucks. Hope it's better (or on it's way to better).

unreal

Noteworthy
No worries. Shipping is going to take a while. I found a place that would vaporize the water and put it into the air headed your way. You'll need to condense it when it gets there, though.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, we got the storm here around 6:00am this morning. I nearly jumped out of bed, it was so loud. The thunder sounded like it was directly over head, but only happened 3 times. The lightning was so bright, it lit up the whole room. That only happened twice. After that it just pored heavy rain for a couple of hours.

When I went out later this afternoon, it was more like a steady drizzle, but it is sooooo humid!! :(

Terre

Renowned
Still no actual storms here. Just winds.
Lit up the whole room? That would be close enough to be quite startling.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Lit up the whole room? That would be close enough to be quite startling.
Yes indeed, especially since I have dark "Blackout" shades in my bedroom to block the morning sun from waking me up. ~shakes head~

unreal

Noteworthy
Well, we got the storm here around 6:00am this morning. I nearly jumped out of bed, it was so loud. The thunder sounded like it was directly over head, but only happened 3 times. The lightning was so bright, it lit up the whole room. That only happened twice. After that it just pored heavy rain for a couple of hours.

When I went out later this afternoon, it was more like a steady drizzle, but it is sooooo humid!! :(
A disturbingly effective alarm O.O