• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You and me both.
FingersCrossed.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yesterday it was 71 when the kids were going around. Today it got to 59 at 4:39 pm. Going downhill from there.
Very windy overnight and this morning. I could hear a mild roar all night. Before I went to bed, the power blinked out for a couple of seconds at least twice. This morning, my UPS woke me, beeping. I got dressed and started to get to things. But the power came back in about 15 minutes. I called the power company this afternoon and asked if there was a power outage in my area. She said yes. She told me that others in my area were not so lucky to have it back on that quickly. I was concerned that maybe it was much more localized than that. Like, maybe the wiring attached to my house or right at the pole.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well we had 70º while I was watching the 11:00pm news last night, but we FINALLY had heat this morning. I woke up around 8:30am, and the heat was on, and I could tell it had been on for a couple of hours. Unfortunately, once the temps rose over 55º, the heat turned off, but it's not that humid today, so it's comfortable here.

It was a little windy when I went out earlier to run some errands, but the sun was out, rather than the ugly non-stop rain we had yesterday. On the news last night, they reported 97% humidity. Absolutely ridiculous, but thank goodness it's only about 61% right now. Hopefully it won't go higher. They're predicting temps of under 40º tonight, so we should have heat overnight as well. Should be similar for the next few days. YAY!! :D

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I turned the heat on briefly for about 10 minutes this evening. Just long enough to burn some of the dust and take a bit of the chill off. Then I switched back to Fan only. It's not really been cold enough in my apartment to turn the heat on, and the longer I can go without heat or A/C, the better for my bank account ;) I'm glad it's cooled back down though. I didn't sleep well last week because it was so hot at night.

Spooky Halloween last night! We were under a tornado warning from about 11:30 p.m. until midnight.

Miss B

CV-BEE
We don't pay for heat, as that's part of the co-op's maintenance fee, but the a/c in the summer, yes that's a big chunk out of my checking account for 4 months.

I'm still wearing a sweater during the day today, but at least I haven't had to pull the sleeves over my hands because they were freezing. There were times this week I wished I could type while wearing gloves. ~shakes head~

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd far rather pay for my heat and A/C instead of having it concealed in my rent and controlled by someone else. Bad enough having to work in an office where the building management determines when to turn on the heat or A/C and how low or high to set the heat and A/C (using an out of date formula based on a 40-year-old man weighing about 154 pounds and wearing a suit and tie). At least at home I can choose whether to wrap up in a blanket like I do at work or turn on/up the heat.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I live in a co-op, and we do have a say at our annual Shareholders Meeting (coming up next week in fact), but the problem here is a NY City ordinance that says when (at what time, and in what temp range) we can get heat. That has nothing to do with any decisions our co-op Board of Directors make.

This building was built in 1957, so having separate heat controlling devices weren't thought of, let alone installed, in buildings from that era.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, I live in a co-op, and we do have a say at our annual Shareholders Meeting (coming up next week in fact), but the problem here is a NY City ordinance that says when (at what time, and in what temp range) we can get heat. That has nothing to do with any decisions our co-op Board of Directors make.

This building was built in 1957, so having separate heat controlling devices weren't thought of, let alone installed, in buildings from that era.

Do you have a full range? Gas or electric. Try this: Get a couple of terra cotta plant pots, invert them onto a burner and heat them up. They retain and give off the heat for quite a while, I've read. It's an idea for power outages, but it might help in your situation, too. Just be careful handling them after you've heated them.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's an interesting idea. Certainly not one I would've thought of.

Now that the weather has dropped considerably, the apartment is comfortable, and that's all I was asking for. Last night I didn't need all the extra clothing or the second blanket, so that's a big plus.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Isn't October 1 the date NYC buildings are supposed to start supplying heat? Don't know how I managed to lose the entire month of October today, but I was thinking ... jeez. It's only the beginning of October.

Wishful thinking perhaps?

DanaTA

Distinguished
That's an interesting idea. Certainly not one I would've thought of.

Now that the weather has dropped considerably, the apartment is comfortable, and that's all I was asking for. Last night I didn't need all the extra clothing or the second blanket, so that's a big plus.

The idea was actually for power outages. They used those little tea candles or those buffet food warmer candles to heat the terracotta pots. One suggestion was to use bricks or patio pavers to put the pots on, to form a sort of oven that would all collect the heat and then gradually give it off. They say it can keep a room quite cozy. Something to think about for power outages.

I guess they can get hot enough to warms some soup or something with a saucepan on the pot...or remove the pot and put it directly on the bricks with the food warmer candles underneath. We have a natural gas range, so we can still cook even without power. Can't start the oven up, but the burners on the top only need one of those gas grill igniters, by bic or other companies. I've done that a few times.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Isn't October 1 the date NYC buildings are supposed to start supplying heat?
Years ago it used to be November 1st, but several years ago they changed it to October 15th. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has her own ideas as to what the temperature range should be this time of year, and at the rate Global Warming is coming to a head, it's only going to get worse each year.

Miss B

CV-BEE
As far as I know it's the "building", and not the occupants that determine, and I'm finding that listing you posted a bit weird, because we were told overnight it has to be below 40º outside. We have a thermastat (thermometer?) outside the building that determines what the weather is outside, and regulates when the heat gets turned on.

We don't have that many renters left in the building, only a handful of oldtimers (think in the late 80s and 90s) who have been in the building since it was built, or certainly before it was converted. I was living in the building for 12 years before it converted, but I bought mine. Not all did.

As far as hot water, we always have that, unless the water has been shut down because of required repair work, but we get a good amount of notice when that's going to happen, and it only lasts for a few hours, never a whole day.

Edited to Add: As far as the fine goes, we're a co-op, not a condo. In a condo, each owner "owns" their apartment and is responsible for everything within it. In a co-op, the "owners" own shares in the co-op, so I could be wrong, but I believe the co-op as a whole would be fined, and I'm sure it would be more than $200. Then again, it could be $200 per apartment, and that would add up to quite a chunk.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The info I posted comes from the NYC Housing Preservation & Development guide (The ABC's of Housing) which explains the housing rules and regulations (effective October 2017) for NYC owners and tenants. The link for The ABC's of Housing is on the NYC.gov page, Tenants' Rights and Responsibilities.
OK, that date explains some things then, as this ruling has been in effect for many years, so it looks like it was updated 2 years ago. Thanks for the links.