• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tiny's products at HiveWire 3D

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Hey Tiny,

Have you seen the promos for Pete's Dragon yet? I think me wants a furry dragon!!!
Oh wow! I want one too!!

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
When you say that Superfly doesn't render Poser hair well, was that using a Firefly material? Or did you try a Cycles hair material?

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
When you say that Superfly doesn't render Poser hair well, was that using a Firefly material? Or did you try a Cycles hair material?
I have not been able to get a good looking hair in Superfly yet. I am not good at shaders and have tried (and read about) the Cycles shader but can't get it to work. If you have any tips & tricks I would appreciate it.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
OK. Well, I've learned that I am _so_ not good with hair in either Blender or Poser. But that's no surprise, as I've not messed with it much at all.

I'm waiting for render to finish. It's going to take ages, which I _think_ is because I made the hair way more dense than it needed to be. But when I used lower settings, it looked bald. Again, not so good with the hair settings.

So for now I'll share what I've gathered so far, and my Blender material that I pretty much duplicated in Poser.

For the hair color you want to use a Hair BSDF shader. It has two different modes. When you put it in Reflection mode, it gives you a nice shiny hair color. If you put it in Transmission mode, it makes a more translucent, more matte, color. It looks more wispy and possibly even a bit fluffy.

You can blend between the two modes based on where you are along the hair using the Hair Info node. You find it under Cycles > Input. For a gradient along the hair, use the Intercept output. You can stick that directly into a MixClosure (which is just called Mix Shader in Blender, I have no clue why the Poser developers labeled it so obscurely), or stick it into other nodes to adjust the gradient. I did the latter, which gave me more control of the falloff.

If I were actually adept at making hair, I'd probably use the thickness hair property, too. If I were making animals, I'd try to differentiate the fluffier chest hair or an under coat, and make those more Transmission than Reflection. I'd probably blend colors along the hair, too. But as it is, I didn't even use the hair with textures. Not in Blender, nor Poser. I blended two different Hair BSDF/Reflection shaders just to give it some variation. It kind of worked for me in Blender, but didn't seem to do anything in Poser.

Here's my Blender material:
blender hair material.png

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Sorry, my husband and I ended up going out to dinner with a friend.

Here's the Poser version:
poser hair material.png

Here's the result, in a plain room with a single sphere emitter as a light.
hair test01.jpg

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Sorry, my husband and I ended up going out to dinner with a friend.
Thank you! Will do some tests.
Where would I plug in the animal texture map? I have the texture map as one of the nodes in the fur/hair colours.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@Tiny Since Carey is having a Poser crash too... and with my Poser 2014.... I have to wait a long time, then tell poser to stop looking for the P11 file when I load mine....actually I think the "BlackGorilla P11.pmd" is missing, and can't find out from what... something is calling for it?? Help?

PS I loaded mine and re-saved my character after saying NO.

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
@Tiny Since Carey is having a Poser crash too... and with my Poser 2014.... I have to wait a long time, then tell poser to stop looking for the P11 file when I load mine....actually I think the "BlackGorilla P11.pmd" is missing, and can't find out from what... something is calling for it?? Help?

PS I loaded mine and re-saved my character after saying NO.

Oh that's not good. I'll have to check with the team because they helped creating the installer so I didn't have to use decoders and stuff. It's a new solution so a bit of trial and error margin is needed and lots of patients from you guys. :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
@Lyne, have you moved your original Gorilla files from the default location?

Those pmd files are part of the Gorilla product

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thank you! Will do some tests.
Where would I plug in the animal texture map? I have the texture map as one of the nodes in the fur/hair colours.
Looking at the shader set up I would say that the texture maps would plug into the colour channel of the Hair_Bsdf 2 and 3 and rather than have a colour in them they would be white. I could be very wrong how ever as I have not had a chance to play with this stuff yet but am taking a sorta educated guess from setting up other shaders

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@Lyne, have you moved your original Gorilla files from the default location?

Those pmd files are part of the Gorilla product

I have Tiny's in with my original gorilla, and in that character folder I only have: BlackGorilla P9-10.pmd

Flint_Hawk just bought and installed her's too, and got her PP 2014 ASKING for the same 'missing' pmd. She pointed it to her P9-10.pmd, so that's one thing I can do too... but for two of us, now it's calling for a file we don't have, and was not in the downloads... ? I did NOT install the P11 original gorilla in my poser, why would I?

oh well, we both were smart enough to fix it... just if someone who doesn't understand poser as well.. ? Not sure why Carey's is crashing poser...

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, Traci :)

@Lyne - unless you specifically did not copy the P11 files from the zip file into Poser, or moved them, they will be there in the correct place. If for some reason you didn't copy those files into your Runtime, all you have to do is copy them from the same Poser zip file (11175-hivewire-gorilla-for-dusk-psr.zip) where you copied the P9-10 Gorilla from.

As Traci noted, this will work fine in P9 & 10 as long as you put those 2 pmds in the original folder location - no need to edit any files to use the P9-10 one, though that works, too :)

The furred Gorilla ReadMe also explains:

1-This product is calls for the .pmd files from both Dusk and the HiveWire Gorilla for Dusk. If you have moved any of these from their original locations, you will need to edit the cr2 files for this product, in order to correct the paths. The original paths for the file are:

Dusk
\Runtime\Libraries\Character\HiveWire 3D\Dusk\Dusk.pmd

Gorilla
\Runtime\Libraries\Character\HiveWire 3D\Dusk\Gorilla\BlackGorilla P11.pmd
\Runtime\Libraries\Character\HiveWire 3D\Dusk\Gorilla\SilverbackGorilla P11.pmd

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
unless you specifically did not copy the P11 files from the zip file

exactly...this is what both me and Flint did... :/ we'll have to re-download and put that file INTO our Posers....just thought it was not needed... being eleven... sorry!

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
No need to apologize! Just FYI, unless you are sure you will NEVER upgrade Poser, I'd highly recommend installing any files that are P11 specific. Otherwise, when/if you upgrade, you'll have a mess to figure out what needs to be added in different products.

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Thank you Alisa for helping out and explaining. I was a bit lost I must admit to what was going on. :confused:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
No need to apologize! Just FYI, unless you are sure you will NEVER upgrade Poser, I'd highly recommend installing any files that are P11 specific. Otherwise, when/if you upgrade, you'll have a mess to figure out what needs to be added in different products.

weeeelllll unless I get it FREE, (or as a prize) I don't want it... old dog, new tricks- that's me... I love my "new" PP 2014, and after talking to folks with 11, it simply is way too much like a whole new program AND does not have the real upgrade functions I'd want... I do keep all my downloads archived on an external, so worst case, I'd simply go unzip them again.

Now... if Tiny does hair for the upcoming Mommy and Baby Gorilla, I better "go get" that pmd, though! I'd buy those in a snap, @Tiny ! :)

oh and PS Tiny... is there a way to make the hair 'thicker' all over? Babies are so fuzzy! :) I also 'duplicate layer' for my current hairy gorilla in photoshop, to make the hair look 'thicker'....

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
oh and PS Tiny... is there a way to make the hair 'thicker' all over? Babies are so fuzzy! :) I also 'duplicate layer' for my current hairy gorilla in photoshop, to make the hair look 'thicker'....
Don't laugh Lyne, I've done that a time or two over the years with human hair. ;)