• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tiny's products at HiveWire 3D

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
... is there a way to make the hair 'thicker' all over? Babies are so fuzzy! :) I also 'duplicate layer' for my current hairy gorilla in photoshop, to make the hair look 'thicker'....
One could make it thicker from the beginning but to get a thick result from all angles and all lights it would take a lot which in turn would bog down many computers and slow down renders. Also if the fur is too thick in some angles it will look like plastic.

Try play with angles and lights to get the best look. Lights pointing towards the fur, from camera angle will give better and thicker fur. :)

Love your images btw. <3

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Thank you! Will do some tests.
Where would I plug in the animal texture map? I have the texture map as one of the nodes in the fur/hair colours.
Looking at the shader set up I would say that the texture maps would plug into the colour channel of the Hair_Bsdf 2 and 3 and rather than have a colour in them they would be white. I could be very wrong how ever as I have not had a chance to play with this stuff yet but am taking a sorta educated guess from setting up other shaders

Dreamer is right, except you'd plug it into all three, not just 2 and 3. Or however you want it, depending on what you decide to do in terms of texture along the hair. For instance, silver-tipped dark fur wouldn't have the same color for the base and the tip, so you might want different texture maps. Also, to be clear, you'd only need one node for that mix of the 2 and 3 Hair nodes with the Spots if you used a proper texture. That's just me trying to add a little variation in color. Which didn't really work.

The ColorRamp adjusts the HairInfo: Intercept property. The property is a plain gradient from root to tip, and I figured the ramp would be good for handling the end the way I wanted. If I wanted to have the Transmission part go higher, or have the Reflection part never go away, I could just adjust the swatches on the ramp to make it happen. You could also use all kinds of math or curves to adjust the gradient.

The other thing to remember is that Superfly uses input override, like DS, not input multiply like Firefly. So there's no color swatch at all if you plug a texture in. If you want to modulate a texture (or any other type of non-shading node), you have to actually use a Math node. And you need to use a MixClosure or AddClosure for Shading nodes.