• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

This Ain't Rocket Science...WIP thread

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I was hoping that four would be enough, but if more are needed speak up now, while I'm still in a good mood. :)

Those looks great. And they have enough difference between them, that I think four would be enough. I especially like the last one. The color scheme almost makes it steam-punk. Also if you've set up good material zones, it should be easy for people to make their own variations.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree. I'm liking all of those textures, and 4 is certainly enough. Though I'm having a hard time picking a favorite. ;)

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Thanks all.

@Gadget Girl, I really don't know if I've set up good material zones or not. They work for me. Hopefully, when I'm ready for testing, my testers will let me know.

I'm glad four is enough. For some reason, I've had the number five stuck in my head for ages, but I just couldn't come up with a fifth set that I was happy with.

Now, all I've got to do is make sure all the files are set up properly and give it one last close once over before I go in search of testers. :)

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Cool, David! Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about the motorcycle...but hopefully if you go back to it, you'll find the new one even better!

Thanks, Alisa.

I definitely plan to return to the motorcycle. To me the outfit isn't complete without it. I did learn a lot with the previous failure, so I'm hoping the next version will be much better.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I've been doing some hdri experiments while fiddling with the materials in firefly.

Firefly hdri test.jpg Firefly hdri test 2.jpg

I used Snarly's ezdome for these.

quietrob

Extraordinary
How is your runtime organized. I work on so many things at once that I just use one massive runtime.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I usually start in an experimental or test runtime for each project. When things look like they're ready to be finalized, I create a new final runtime and finish my work there. It's really just the stress of making sure it's all done correctly. I suppose I'm a bit more OCD than I'd like to admit. :)

No worries, though. It'll get done.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
How is your runtime organized. I work on so many things at once that I just use one massive runtime.

I started out this way, or at least I had a Runtime I called Development that I had all my projects in. But when sending a project out for testing, it's a lot of work to copy and paste the files that are needed into a small blank Runtime you can zip and send to people. And sometimes I'd miss a file so it wouldn't be testable.

I usually start in an experimental or test runtime for each project. When things look like they're ready to be finalized, I create a new final runtime and finish my work there.

Personally, I tried this approach as well, and ran into other issues. Because Poser and DS are both happy to quietly link to files across runtimes, I would sometimes think I was using one Geometry, or Texture file and it turns out it wasn't linking to the one in my finished product runtime but back in the first experiment runtime. Of course if it works for you, that's what matters. But as a general rule I'd recommend to people who are creating content to make one runtime for each project. I wish someone had told me to do that when I was starting out. Although maybe I had to learn it the hard way.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Yes, that's exactly what happened to me in the beginning. My working runtimes quickly turn into a mess of files. It's just easier for me to reorganize and start over with the final files. The files that end up in the final runtime are all set to access only what's in that runtime. I make sure I've got the correct objs in the geometry folder and I make sure that files all point to them. I don't even start setting textures until the final runtime is set up. Because of my first experiences, I probably spend more time than I need to checking file references and such.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
OK, an update. I've been busy hunting down and correcting about a half dozen little problems. On the last helmet material style I found that the helmet had some UV issues, had to remap that and go back and redo all the mats for it, I found a few glaring weight map issues with the gloves ((I really don't know how I missed them). I also found that my materials didn't work as expected in Firefly. I had quite a bit of work to do there. I also had some weight mapping issues with the Corset figure. All fixed now...I hope.

I also managed to come up with five poses and their mirrors in the meantime just for grins. :)

All I have left to do is give the whole thing one more going over, get the Readme set up properly and Zip the thing up. Then I'll be over in the beta testing forum looking for testers.

quietrob

Extraordinary
While I'm not big on duplicating more files (as a result of chkdsk failure).

If you're willing to put up with a rookie tester for Poser. I'd give be happy to give it a try.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
New motorcycle in the works while beta testing for the DR outfit is going on. Hopefully, I'll have a few shots to show in a few days. I'm very happy with what's come out so far.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Here are a few shots of the motorcycle model. I'm not thrilled with the handlebars, so they may change. Hopefully this one will be easier to map than the last one. :)

ScreenHunter_312 Mar. 15 00.39.jpg ScreenHunter_313 Mar. 15 00.39.jpg ScreenHunter_314 Mar. 15 00.40.jpg ScreenHunter_315 Mar. 15 00.40.jpg

The outfit is pretty much done. I just need to give one last going over before I send it in.