• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

This Ain't Rocket Science...WIP thread

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks, Glitterati. Got the file. :) I experimented a bit with what you told me earlier (I found a sphere from an IDL light set that worked pretty well) and got some acceptable renders. At least they show how the PBR materials are going to look.

I used 3dCoat's PBR materials to create a texture set for the outfit. It's only a test, mainly to see how it works and how well the normal maps show up. So far, I'm very pleased with the look in Superfly.

View attachment 14378 View attachment 14379

Now, all I have to do is settle on a design or two and create some variations to complete a texture set.

Looking great, David! Lovely work.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I finally have something more definite to show. I've been wrestling with 3dCoat. It has some issues that don't always transfer well to Poser, but I think I've managed to figure out most of it. These are renders done in Poser 11 with Superfly and texture maps generated by 3dCoat's PBR materials. Opinions and criticism welcome (needed). :)

DR test 1.jpg DR test 2.jpg DR test 3.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree with Traci, though I would reduce the shine on all the black areas. A little shine is nice, but I think it's a little too much. Then again, it could just be the lighting you used, and the SuperFly render engine. How does it look in FireFly?

Other than that, it looks great. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well, here I am again. :) I've made good progress on the new outfit. I've simplified the design and was a bit more careful with my modeling. So far, things are going very well. I've made it all the way to adding morphs and no major screw ups.

View attachment 14100 View attachment 14101 View attachment 14102 View attachment 14103 View attachment 14104

I've also got a nifty headset for the outfit, and I'm experimenting with a hairstyle. Also, the outfit is being modeled by a new character I'm working on.

The next step in all of this is textures. I'll be working in 3dCoat. I'm hoping to be able to use 3dCoat's new PBR material system to create some useable files for Poser's Superfly renderer.

When I have more, I'll be back. :)
Like this idea the best so far. Reminds me a bit of Phantom Girl from DC Comic's the Legion of Super Heroes. Always loved that design!

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the comments. :) I did make the black elements more glossy on purpose, but since it appears to be a problem, I will have to rethink that part. Nothing's final yet, so now's the best time for changes.

Thanks again.

@Miss B, It looks pretty good in Firefly. I'll try to add some firefly renders when I get a chance.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I kept trying to figure out why I got a "incomplete" feeling from the suit, and I think I've got it.

Maybe copy your black/red/gold at the top of the shoe to give it a finished off look, something like this? It just breaks up the legs and feet a bit and adds that final touch, perhaps?

DavidSuggestion.jpg

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I changed the black inset texture to a less glossy one. It was supposed to be a PBR leather mat, but I'm not too thrilled with how it turned out, so I'll probably change that. Less glossy, though. I added a bit on the feet for Glitterati. I do agree that it looked unfinished without it, glad she pointed that out. I don't know if I'll stay with the foot design, but at least it's there. I also did a set of renders with Firefly for Miss B.

The first set is using Superfly and 3dCoat's PBR mats.

DR test 1 b.jpg DR test 2 b.jpg DR test 3 b.jpg

This set is using Firefly. I didn't change anything about the scene. Lights and materials are the same as the Superfly renders. They look pretty good even with no changes, but I can see I'll need to rethink the mats so they'll work well in both. I really don't want to make two sets for each style.

DR test 1 bf.jpg DR test 2 bf.jpg DR test 3 bf.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
It renders fairly well in FireFly, if not exactly like it does in SuperFly, and I like the "addition" you did to the foot area. It does give it a finishing touch. ;)

Last edited:

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
@Miss B, just keep in mind that I didn't change anything in he scene only the render engine. The lights could definitely do with a little adjusting for the Firefly renders. I do need to reexamine the materials. 3dCoat can be touchy, but it's results are pretty good. I just need to do a little tweeking. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I understand about the lighting. I'm not "fluent" in SuperFly yet, but I see the difference in my own renders when I just use the SuperFly render engine, or when I use an environment sphere (like the Construct) and different lighting.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Here's what I'm going to call a final look for the red and black texture set.

DR test red and black.jpg

And here's a new set I've been working on. Once again the renders are using Superfly.

DR test red and blue.jpg DR test red and blue 2.jpg DR test red and blue 3.jpg

I'm thinking of doing one more 'designer' texture set and then including a more generic design with several color choices.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Will this work in DS? (I don't mind playing with mat settings myself but just need to know if they clothing will work :))

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nice work David...

I think he mainly works in Poser Rae. I know his last outfit was Poser only. I'll pick it up eventually and have ago at converting it to DS one day.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...me too! Depends how it was modeled. Some things just fall apart if you apply even a little bit of smoothing.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha I wouldn't know, I usually forget things like smoothing and sub D etc :p hehehe

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If you use a smoothing modifier even for the collision some things fall apart. It's normally the first thing I add.