• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

This Ain't Rocket Science...WIP thread

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
So, here's a quick look at what the original Dawn outfit has become. It's gone from armor over a bodysuit to protective riding suit over a bodysuit. The original mesh for the bodysuit and jacket are still there with 'some' modifications. :) The colors are just place holders. I've been experimenting with texture painting in 3dCoat with some very promising results. We'll see how they turn out. I've been struggling with morphs (the struggle has been worth it), and things are moving along slowly but surely. I also plan to add a helmet to this outfit because I plan to create a motorcycle of some type for this outfit. What's the point of having a riding outfit without a ride, right?

ScreenHunter_291 Jun. 22 00.48.jpg ScreenHunter_292 Jun. 22 00.48.jpg

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Well, it's one of those cases of one step forward and two steps back...again. I've never had this much trouble getting an outfit to work on a figure. Very frustrating. I've been working on adjusting the morphs for pokethrough and such. The adjustments lead me back to problems in the weightmap. I think I've somehow screwed things up at some level. Anyhow, after a brief moment of success, I've hit a wall again.

I'm seriously considering starting over from scratch, taking what I've learned about Dawn and Poser from this experience and hoping for the best. I think I'm going to go pout in a corner for a bit. :(

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Are you working in Poser? IIRC you are...I'm still trying to fathom out how to weight map in Poser so I can't even begin to help. I hope you get it working...

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Yes, working in Poser. I'm going to give this version of the outfit a break. I'll take some time to see how starting over works. I've never had this much trouble getting an outfit to work on a figure before. Here's hoping it's a one time only thing and it will be smooth sailing from now on. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm a bit surprised that it has given this trouble but I work in DS and that is a whole different ball game.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I'm surprised as well. My current experience isn't matching my past experiences. I have learned quite a bit during this process. I'm applying what I've learned about Dawn to the new mesh I'm working on. I've had a fun start and I am hopeful.

I do have to say that it does not seem that anyone else is having the same problems I am, so I have to believe it's me and not Dawn (although it could be Poser). We'll see what happens. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm surprised as well. My current experience isn't matching my past experiences. I have learned quite a bit during this process. I'm applying what I've learned about Dawn to the new mesh I'm working on. I've had a fun start and I am hopeful.

I do have to say that it does not seem that anyone else is having the same problems I am, so I have to believe it's me and not Dawn (although it could be Poser). We'll see what happens. :)

If you want some fresh eyes on it, just holler. What version of Poser are you using and which Dawn?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
When I work in Poser it's definitely me that doesn't know what I'm doing but then DS is my program of choice.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
@Glitterati3D, thanks. Right now, I'm looking all this as a learning experience. I've gotten started on a new mesh, a redesign of the old outfit. If I end up with the same problems, I will definitely want another set of eyes to look it over. And I'm in Poser Pro 2014.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
@Glitterati3D, thanks. Right now, I'm looking all this as a learning experience. I've gotten started on a new mesh, a redesign of the old outfit. If I end up with the same problems, I will definitely want another set of eyes to look it over. And I'm in Poser Pro 2014.

OK, if you want me to take a look just let me know. I have PP14 as well, so we're good. Didn't want to make the offer if I couldn't help. I'll send you a PM with contact info if you need to send a file.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hey if it helps, I was really struggling with a very simple armband for Dusk. As it turned out, one of the problems I was having was that I tried to start with the weight mapping/rigging from the Dusk clothing resource and I had all sorts of weirdness going on. Then I started over using Dusk's rigging as the starting point, and suddenly it was really easy. I still have some adjustments to make but I went from basically problems in every single one of his Poses, to just two or three problems areas.

That being said, if you are frustrated, working on something else, then coming back to this mesh, may be a good way to go.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I wasn't using the clothing resource, but that's good info to know. And yes, it was past time to move on to something different. Very frustrating. So far, I'm having a good time modeling this new version. We'll see how it goes. :)

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Well, here I am again. :) I've made good progress on the new outfit. I've simplified the design and was a bit more careful with my modeling. So far, things are going very well. I've made it all the way to adding morphs and no major screw ups.

image 1.jpg image 2.jpg image 3.jpg image 4.jpg image 5.jpg

I've also got a nifty headset for the outfit, and I'm experimenting with a hairstyle. Also, the outfit is being modeled by a new character I'm working on.

The next step in all of this is textures. I'll be working in 3dCoat. I'm hoping to be able to use 3dCoat's new PBR material system to create some useable files for Poser's Superfly renderer.

When I have more, I'll be back. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I will second that, really nice work and I like the design. It would appear to be quite flexible in that a range of textures could turn into evening wear or a sci-fi outfit, a few possibilities certainly.