• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

This Ain't Rocket Science...WIP thread

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I am still here. This outfit has undergone some drastic changes. I wasn't happy with how it was turning out. In the process of reworking the thing, a whole new concept came into focus for me. I've ditched the armor (although I have other plans for armor in the future). I've been experimenting with textures and colors and even toying with normal maps. I even have a vehicle planned (we'll see how that goes).

I've been having a dreadful time with weight mapping and now adding morphs. Hopefully, I can get that sorted out soon.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Thanks. :) The way things are going, you might have to cross all your fingers. I hope none of you are very busy right now. :)

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
OK, I'm not one to be superstitious or anything, but I think the finger crossing did some good. I've solved (I hope) the problem I was having with the morphs. I'm moving forward now with great excitement. :)

Thanks to all those crossed fingers...and their owners. :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
I've had Hex, but it was flaky on this laptop. I prefer Blender, and have been using/learning it for years. I also splurged during a great sale last year and got Silo, which is a nice easy interface to use. In fact, it was the first time I had successfully modeled any clothing. I've only had success with props and environment models in Blender.

Interface is of prime importance to me. Hex, for me, has a frustrating interface. It's reminds me of why I like Poser over DAZ. Both programs are obviously great but I was using Poser right out of the box and everything seemed pretty logical to get to. I can really fly around the program. I'm still fighting DAZ studio. I know for a fact there are things that DAZ can do that is quite remarkable but the interface slows me down and frustrates me. I suppose if I had only used DAZ I wouldn't be so far behind the learning curve.

Likewise for Hex. I modeled the crate alright. It took me so long to get the OBJ done I'm too embarrassed to mention the time. So how would you and others rate the various interfaces of the modeling programs out there. Before I take the Zbrush plunge I should establish deep roots on a free program. Like Silo or Blender.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, Silo isn't free, but it's reasonably priced. I just happened to get it in a good sale last year. I find it's UI clean and easy to get around in.

Blender IS free, and I've been using it for many, many versions, long before the current UI debuted with version 2.52, and I find this UI much easier to work with than the old, unprofessional looking UI. Of course, since as you mentioned, I've been using it for years, so I'm used to it. It does have a learning curve, but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of tutorials on YouTube, as well as several Blender related forums, which can help you learn to use it. Check out the long list of Blender resources I set up in the Blender forum here to give you some kind of idea.

I haven't used ZBrush much, and what I did do with it (created a Samurai style sword, it wasn't very difficult, but I was following a tutorial step by step as I worked. I haven't tried creating anything from scratch by myself, as it were.

I also have an educational license for Maya, and even though I've always wanted to play in it for many years, it took 6 long videos just to figure out where everything was in the UI, so I don't even want to think how long it'll take me to learn how to actually create something with it. ;)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Silo 2 is available on Steam for roughly 40 percent off. However I am indeed extremely cheap and I did mention a modelling program with an intuitive interface. I'll try an hour a day with Blender and see if I can make a samurai sword after I learn the basics. Would you suggest it for making clothing?

Hey! I got upgraded to eager!

Thanks Miss B. Your slice of chocolate mousse is waiting for you. I hope you drink coffee.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I wish I was as Eager as quietrob.

Rob, Silo does have a free trial if you're interested. I really like Silo because almost every command you need for modeling is a right mouse click away. It is also very customizable, as I believe Blender is. Anyway, just my two cents. :)