• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED The "Scatter Tool" plugin for Poser

Karina

One more with 100 billboard trees, this time without morphing the ground.

Now use the exact same scene and camera position!
Delete anything else like the billboards, then populate=scatter the ground with grass /shrubs, and render/save that with the alpha channel left blank.
Overlay that render on the trees render - I guess this might look spectacular.

You have brought Poser to a new level. Amazing work!

K

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I guess this might look spectacular.

Like this?

BillboardTrees3_1080.jpg

Karina

Ix.. ax... - exactly!!!

Now we only need a good ground texture.
I started a project about two years ago, using "descriminator" maps.
Only thing I remember that it was inspired by a tut by @seachnasaigh", and it worked quite well already.

What you see here is just the standard Poser "GROUND" plane, subdivided and morphed to a landscape.
No texture zones are declared at all!

Texturing only needs four texture maps, and the only thing you need to do is to
- modify the "descriminator" map in your image editing program (a simple, preferably not high-res .JPG will serve very well)
- four different materals (maps) for the different ground textures like sand, grass, shrub.

Now you must experiment:
As there's no real means of previewing the results while in image editing, you'll have to resort to guessing, eye-balling, and test renders (Poser's Raytrace Preview is a great help here!)

But once you've got "the feel" for it, you can create almost any ground texture.
And you always just need those four maps...

Landscape.jpg

K

P.S.:
The bench on the right, and the tree are actual props.
The wood in the background was made with billboards.
Every other ground detail is the texture maps and their blending, plus different displacement settings.

Last edited:

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I just thought of a good, serious question, and why I think this is needed - Can this scatter figures as well as props? If not is it possible to add that capability?
Being able to scatter figures as well would make this not only useful for setting up random seeming environments and terrains, but for creating flocks, herds, and crowds. Just imagine the uses too which an animator might put such power?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, because I can see most of your airborne birds in that scene. Come to think of it, even those who spend more time wandering around on the ground could fill up that scene nicely. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I just thought of a good, serious question, and why I think this is needed - Can this scatter figures as well as props? If not is it possible to add that capability?
Being able to scatter figures as well would make this not only useful for setting up random seeming environments and terrains, but for creating flocks, herds, and crowds. Just imagine the uses too which an animator might put such power?

I think you have already asked this question earlier in this thread. The answer is NO and YES. No, it doesn't support it now, and YES, it can be added, but it would require substantial changes on the code because props have only a single actor, while figures have many (dozens).

There is also danger in adding many figures to the scene because they tend to be high-poly, and just a few can choke Poser pretty quickly. The default scattering amount is 10, and adding this many fully clothed figures with hair can probably crash Poser. This is one reason why I have added support for billboards to the tool, because we can render a figure and bring it back as a single-poly billboard, and those we can add by the dozens with ease. I have posted an example earlier on, where I have added 100 people to the scene --> SEE HERE. It would be impossible to do that in Poser with full figures.

In my example above, I have added 100 billboard trees, and it still renders in under 3 minutes. I have used only 2 trees, but if I used more, it would look even more natural, and most people couldn't tell they are just flat planes.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For today's update, I have added support for working with multiple scatter bases, keeping track of their vertex count and scatter coverage. If we switch to another scatter base and start spawning, it will automatically check and set the amount value, remembering the values for each scatter base in the scene. Before this, it could only keep track of a single scatter base, and "forget" the tracking if we switched to another one. Now the tool can keep track of an unlimited number of scattering bases. If we switch back and forth between bases, it will keep tracking and display the correct limits for each one automatically.

However, tracking is only valid in the same session. If the tool is closed, scattering base tracking is lost. This may be desirable if you wish to keep scattering different objects over previously occupied places, like trees over grass. That is because when tracking is active, we are not allowed to place an object on top of another.

Another update was to preserve the prop rotations when we scatter it over a surface with transforms applied, and rotation variations disabled. This way, the scatter plane orientation with be transferred to its spawned props. This feature is automatically disabled if rotation variations are enabled.

I have also cleaned up the code a bit more, fixed a couple of bugs, and improved general performance. This is a candidate for a final version. Will test some more and find out. :)

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I think you have already asked this question earlier in this thread. The answer is NO and YES. No, it doesn't support it now, and YES, it can be added, but it would require substantial changes on the code because props have only a single actor, while figures have many (dozens).
Actually earlier I had asked about scattering props onto a figure - selecting a figure as the scatter surface. This time I was asking about scattering figures themselves - to make crowds, herds, or flocks.
Perhaps a later tool then? A Flock/Herd tool?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Actually earlier I had asked about scattering props onto a figure - selecting a figure as the scatter surface. This time I was asking about scattering figures themselves - to make crowds, herds, or flocks.
Perhaps a later tool then? A Flock/Herd tool?

Oh yes, you're right, that's what it was about. The spawning part would be the same, since it doesn't discriminate between props and figures. The difference would be on aligning figures to a surface. Poser's drop-to-ground only works with it's own ground plane, and it doesn't support morphs. This would require a different algorithm just to handle figures, and it wouldn't guarantee both (or all 4) feet would be perfectly aligned to the ground. This is just the first version, and I can expand it's capabilities over time. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Sent the tool for beta-testing today. It includes an illustrated 12 pages PDF manual with lots of notes about functionality details. I have included a section at the end where I illustrate different kinds of usage - most of which you have seen in this thread. :)

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Looks great... being a nature oriented artist, I can see dozens of uses.
Even for non-nature oriented artists this scatter thingy could be a boon (and not just for scattering sci-fi odds and ends around a scene).
Today I found myself in need of a DIY Medusa, and it struck me that if I had a couple of simple posed snake props I could possibly use this tool to scatter them over the head of my gorgon...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Today I found myself in need of a DIY Medusa, and it struck me that if I had a couple of simple posed snake props I could possibly use this tool to scatter them over the head of my gorgon...

To do this, you would need something like a skullcap to serve as the scatter plane. It is possible to create those in Poser itself using the Grouping Tool.

1. Create a new group on the head,
2. Select the head faces you want to add to this group,
3. With the faces selected, press the "Create Prop" button.

Voila! Now you can scatter snakes, or anything else over that specific area of the head. This method can be used to scatter things over a figure, which is what @KageRyu wanted. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's an example of the method I have described above, where I have used the Grouping Tool to create a new group on Dawn's head, spawn a prop out of it, and then use it as a scatter plane and populate it with whatever you want (cones here). This can be used with any figure, and if the figure is morphed, it's better to spawn the prop after the morph is applied, so it preserves the shape.

Note how the spawned cones follow the head's shape precisely when we use this method. :)

Scalp.jpg

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For today's update, I have added 2 new features to the tool.

1) Billboard origin and end-points are now automatically setup.
2.) Added a new option when using billboards: the ability to randomly flip instances so they don't look all the same.

This is how the interface looks now, with the new option.

TheGUI.jpg