1. We are upgrading to a 2.0 version of our forum as this 1.5 version is no longer supported. Please look at your bookmarks if you have them and note them in a text document as the import process for bookmarks may not work correctly. We will have bookmarks in the 2.0 version so you will be able to recreate whatever may be lost in the upgrade. Everything else appears to have come across fine in our initial tests. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

The Poser Content Directory is Finally Here!

Discussion in 'The Meadow' started by eclark1894, Sep 28, 2017.

1. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

It's not centered and I've tried everything I know to try and shift it. Can't. It might be because I'm using a responsive coding which is supposed to take into account the device it's being displayed on. Not doing a very good job though. It looks worse on my phone. But the links and text all display fine.

2. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

One thing I've noticed when centering images like banners is, I often have to set the width of the image, and add margins. Say your image is 1000px wide, I would set the width to 1000, and then set the margins to margin:0 auto; That will put an "auto" margin to the right and left of the image and 0 margin top and bottom of the image, since it's obvious the area it's going to be in is wider than the image itself.

I need to check to see how I usually do mine, as there might be something else I'm not thinking of off the top of my head, so I'll get back to you if there is something else you should be using. I put these in the stylesheet, so if you have a setup for the banner in your stylesheet already, add the width and margins to it and see if that helps.

3. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

That sounds like a solution, Miss B. @eclark1894 , know that I'm not criticizing. I couldn't have done what you have done. I just wondered if you were aware of the shift because sometimes, things don't appear to us but do to others. A simple thing like a different browser can make a difference.

The working links IS the most important thing.

4. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

The image was too small. Try it now and see how it is.

5. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

Everything is perfect except for the splash screen picture.

This is what I see, reduced in size by half. Click on thumbnail.

EarlTest.jpg

6. Doug Hunter

Doug Hunter Enthusiast Contributing Artist

Good job Earl.
    I particularly like your comments in your ABOUT and BLOG sections.
    Is Dynamic Clothing the future of Poser? Yes and YES!

7. Doug Hunter

Doug Hunter Enthusiast Contributing Artist

btw the picture is centred on my screen just fine

8. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

Rob, try clearing your browser cache.

Incidentally, you guys should note that I have finally added a category for freebies.

9. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

This is a screen shot on my screen now.

Attached Files:

10. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

I did a CClean three times. Maybe I have a permanent cache of the page. I don't see the change. At this point it's probably my resolution or some other nonsense. Plus I still have that Rendo Ad. Yeah, it's most likely me.

11. Miss B

OK Earl, I just checked again, and the banner is still not centered on the page for me. I'm seeing that also for Biscuits banner at the bottom of the page. I did check the screenshot you attached above, so it's working for you, but not for others. What browser are you using?

I checked your HTML code, and you gave the header area the ID of branding, but in your stylesheet, you gave that ID an attribute of float:left; and that's why it's not being centered for most folks. I'd have to check whatever else you have as far as styles for that area, but try deleting that for now, and let's see if that fixes it.

12. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

I don't know what to tell you, Miss B. I've checked the site in Chrome, Firefox and Explorer and I'm getting the same view in each.

13. Miss B

Ohhh, because I use Firefox, and I'm not seeing the banner image as centered. Hmmmmm . . .

14. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

No. I use Chrome and Firefox (which is really fast now). It's left shifted for me on both. I could see a cache issue on one but not both. The good news is that the site works great and there is an answer to this problem.

15. Nod

Nod Eager

Mine isn't centred either. Like Quietrob, I use Firefox and Chrome.

I'm not bothered, it's the links that count. :laugh:

16. Miss B

Very true Nod. It's the site's content that takes center stage. ;)

17. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

Can someone post a screen shot for me?

18. Miss B

Here you go Earl -->

PoserContentDirectory.jpg

19. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

I don't know what to tell you, Miss B. Obviously, I'd like for everyone to see the same thing I do, but I can only program for what I see on my screen. And I see the exact same thing in three different browsers. I'm also seeing that on the monitors I use at work.

20. Miss B

I can't think of anything off-hand. I'd have to check your stylesheet a little more closely, as there might be something there that's affecting some folks, and not others. Strange, since we're both seeing different things with the same browser, so they should be the same. I can see if one of your 3 browsers didn't behave like the other 2, but 2 instances of the same browser should look the same.

Meanwhile, as I said before, your directory itself is working just fine, so leave the banner alone for now, and maybe someone will eventually help you get it working the same way for everyone.