• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Goodness! 69F is about as close to being perfect for me it goes. I'm most comfortable between 65F and 75F. Any higher and I would prefer to stay indoors, though I'm ok with cooler temperatures. Until it gets down past about 45F or so.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
That's the benefit of living in a moderate climate Satira. It makes for simplicity as in it's either too hot, too cold or the good old standby...Flaming Nora! It's raining again! Just now the temperature is down from that brain-addling 69 F to a much more acceptable 58 F. ;)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Well, according to half of the crazies that's what we're going to get Terre! It would help if they could actually agree on exactly 'what we're going to get' but opinions vary from Waterworld, ala Kevin Costner and all shades between right up to, "Oh look, there's an iceberg in Morecambe Bay!" None of them seems to be able or willing to explain though why Co2 levels have been much higher in the past than they are now with life going on pretty much as usual. That's the problem with much of mankind. Our egos have gotten so big that we actually have the audacity to believe that the climate and our environment depends on us much more than it actually does! Myself, I'll put my trust in Mother Nature. After all, she's done OK over the last 5 billion years so why change now just to satisfy the whims of an egotistical little ape derivative!

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, according to half of the crazies that's what we're going to get Terre! It would help if they could actually agree on exactly 'what we're going to get' but opinions vary from Waterworld, ala Kevin Costner and all shades between right up to, "Oh look, there's an iceberg in Morecambe Bay!" None of them seems to be able or willing to explain though why Co2 levels have been much higher in the past than they are now with life going on pretty much as usual. That's the problem with much of mankind. Our egos have gotten so big that we actually have the audacity to believe that the climate and our environment depends on us much more than it actually does! Myself, I'll put my trust in Mother Nature. After all, she's done OK over the last 5 billion years so why change now just to satisfy the whims of an egotistical little ape derivative!

I wouldn't call it egotistical. An egotist thinks he's great and does nothing but great things. And the damage is already done. The ice pack freezes later in the season and thaws earlier in the season, more so each year. The polar bears are in danger. Some are coming south onto dry land. It seems that they turn brown when in this environment and perhaps mate with the brown bears. I think the Arctic Fox is in danger, too. there has already been documented sea level rise. Some say that Cape Code will go underwater. And there is already some progress on that, especially from the more severe and more frequent storms. I actually think it was foolish to build expensive homes so close to the shore in the first place, though. Yeah, it's a nice view...until your house is falling down because the ground is washing away under your foundation! Of course, it brings to mind the Biblical quote about building a house on sand rather than on rock. I just hope my property doesn't become beachfront property in my lifetime. I'm only about 25 minutes from Plymouth, MA! I doubt it will be that quick.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
Good morning. :)
During the Medieval Warm Period there were vinyards in England that were competing with the ones in France. Apparently now that the glaciers in Greenland have pulled back so far the remains of the Viking vinyards of legend have finally been found. They've been buried under ice for centuries. Sadly my search skills aren't up to tracking where down that info is.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hi Terre! :happydance: The temperatures during that period were higher than they are now, minus the Co2 emissions. Mind you, there were a lot of cattle about so the environazis will probably blame it on cow farts! Approximately three centuries either side of 1000 AD. There's an interesting, if technical, article here CO2 but for general research about the Vikings, I would start with an enquiry to the British Museum. Alternatively, York was a major centre of Viking settlement so the University or Museum there would be worth a try. It was followed by a mini-ice age which also helped put an end to the 'Black Death', disease, together with the then atrocious sanitary facilities another adjunct of higher temperatures. Bear in mind that mankind as a whole has only been in a position to have any industrial effect on the climate for less than two hundred years. Nature, on the other hand, goes her own sweet way regardless of the planets most arrogant inhabitants! Be warned though! Research in itself can become so fascinating that you can easily forget what you were looking for in the first place. That's how I got so deeply involved in the Celtic Cycles! I started out looking into the King Arthur legends and I'm still at it some fifty years on! o_O

Last edited:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
The Vikings were a fascinating people well worth looking into. I found this site Medieval Warm Period - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics which although mostly about the climate in the Medieval Period mentions the vineyards, but there is a lot of amazing stuff available. One of my favourites concerns King Harold who was in the process of preparing to meet the Norman's in the south and suddenly found himself having to rush north to Northumberland to meet a Viking invasion force who had decided to take advantage of the situation to invade themselves. The resulting battle took place with the Vikings on one side of a river and Harold's crew on the other bank. The only access was via a narrow bridge which the Vikings held, which was fortunate for them because they had split their army leaving a small advance force to delay any attacks whilst the main force rested some miles away in preparation for the march south. Reports say that the bridge was held almost single-handed by their champion who was something of a giant. In the end, Harold won by treachery when one of his warriors manoeuvred himself downriver in a barrel and killed the Viking by stabbing upwards through the bridge planking and delivering a mortal wound to his groin. The rest of the Viking force were quickly dispatched which left Harold in the position of having to make a hasty march back south with his exhausted army. The outcome was that he met his own end via the infamous arrow in the eye in a battle he should have won quite easily.
There is also a film on YouTube which tells the story of the Viking settlement in Greenland (?) which was wiped out because they could not adapt to the circumstances and insisted on using their own traditional methods. Its a sad story made even sadder because there were already people living there who were willing to help them but were ignored because the church condemned them as devils because they wouldn't accept Christianity. I can't remember the name offhand but I'll dig it out if you like. Have fun!

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Pen, good to see you, even if I wasn't actually on the forum when you were here. The time difference between us can really throw things off. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hi Miss B and Terre...it's very cold here at the moment so I'm eating creamy chicken soup and home made sour dough rye bread for lunch.