• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's not something I've ever done, though I've tried importing Poser compatible products into Bryce. I know DS has a link to go to Bryce, but I only played with it a couple of times, as I prefer to leave my Bryce scenes as landscape scenes without people or animals in them.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Afternoon all! Just about cold enough here for iceberg alerts and I’ll def be lighting the fire tonight and keeping it going till morning. Last night under five blankets I still wasn’t cosy. I was going to be fluffing in the roof with solar panels today but I’d need a polar bear suit not to get hypothermia. (And yes, I do exaggerate a lot, however my body is not coping with the cold like it used too.)

I got into DS first in 2005 with DS2 on an XP laptop with 1gb of ram. I upgraded to DS3, then DS3Pro when I got my desktop, Vista, 32bit, and 4gb ram. Stayed with that till my son upgraded my PC to 64bit and 12gb ram and DS4 was needed for Dawn. Have tutued around with Poser but it and I have never bonded. I only use it to transfer Poser only morphs. I’m now using an older i7, 20gb ram and still want bigger and better and a more powerful graphics card. And it all has to run off a 350w inverter. Shannon tells me things will actually use less power as he upgrades my PC from now on because of manufacturers going ‘green’. I’ll sure be a happy punter :)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Afternoon all! Just about cold enough here for iceberg alerts and I’ll def be lighting the fire tonight and keeping it going till morning. Last night under five blankets I still wasn’t cosy. I was going to be fluffing in the roof with solar panels today but I’d need a polar bear suit not to get hypothermia. (And yes, I do exaggerate a lot, however my body is not coping with the cold like it used too.)

Easy done Lorraine! Nip into your local sea angling (or boating) store and ask for a survival suit. Some of them can be a bit pricy but I can speak from experience that when you are sitting in a boat full of people on a sub-zero January day, watching your mates slowly turn blue while you are snug and warm in your suit (and wearing only a T-shirt and jeans under it) they are worth every penny! Even better is they float, vital for crappy swimmers like me. Worst case scenario: if you go into the water unconscious, most will turn you right side up and keep your head out of the water as well as warm. (Average quotes state that they will maintain your body temperature for 30 minutes in water at -30 degrees). Mine was made by Greys and comes complete with a little whistle and (water-activated) lights as if the regulatory luminous bands ain't embarrassing enough.

So, last night I imported an OBJ created in Poser into Terragen. That was the easy part. The interesting part was trying to find the blasted thing which took a further 30 minutes and much delving into the Wiki! I'd forgotten that Terragen can measure its landscapes in kilometres and, as I discovered, Terragens zero point most definitely doesn't correspond with Posers. I eventually stumbled across it by increasing its (OBJ) scale by 2000% and spotted it hiding amongst the far, distant hills The fact that it was nearly horizontal rather than the vertical orientation I'd set up didn't help much either. A further struggle ensued and I finally managed to get it front and centre. Not really a great help as I wanted it off to the left on the 'sweet' spot composition-wise, but beggars can't be choosers and so I tried a render. Darn it! No materials on the object. Now according to the Wiki, they should import with the OBJ but they didn't and for some strange reason the Wiki doesn't want to tell me why! To paraphrase Scott's mate, "Don't hold your breath. This may take some time!" :eek:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I got into 3D via modding for Elder Scrolls. It was just before Oblivion came out which had all these extra maps that at that time they didn't have in Morrowind. Matty Manx introduced me to it over at Canadian Ice's forum which unfortunately no longer seems to exist. SickleYield was another one in our group plus Brady who some may remember from around 2005 over at the Daz Forums. It was nice having a safe place to practice...Also NeilV was a member of our little group.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...he used to talk about his mother getting him into Poser. However our group was mainly attempting to use DS which at that stage was in its infancy. It was a lovely group and we even had a group on Deviant Art. There were other members also like Neils wife Sorcha.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yep...he used to talk about his mother getting him into Poser.
That's funny, because I think she only used Poser to set up items she wanted to import into Bryce. Cho's a Brycer from way back.

I remember Neil back when he, I, Fisty and someone else I can't recall, were beta testing for Ann and Frank from ARTCollaborations. I was using DS 3A mostly back then, but had just gotten Poser 9 shortly before I stopped beta testing for them, and stopped hanging out on their, and DAZ's, forums. That was just before the Hive was born. ;)

I didn't know Neil's wife, as I don't think she was on the DAZ forum at all.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure that she ever visited Daz...I remember him doing stuff for Ann and Frank though. I think she was more into modding for ES.

I think Cho just encouraged him to give it a go not sure why when as you mention she was definitely more into Bryce.

Last I heard he had been creating Daz shaders...IIRC it was initially for Ann and Frank's stuff as they were initially mainly Poser users but I could have that wrong it's been a long time.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Last I heard he had been creating Daz shaders...IIRC it was initially for Ann and Frank's stuff as they were initially mainly Poser users but I could have that wrong it's been a long time.
Exactly! He and Fisty used to take turns creating the DAZ shaders, once he would do it, and the next time Fisty would do it.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
It always makes me laugh that for most of you I’m wishing you a good whatever from tomorrow where you are.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Gooooooooood Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...NING..NING...NING...NING! :sun: We need a HMT (Hivewire Mean Time) around here. :beehive: Maybe something like a fixed standard based on wherever Lorraine is standing and which point of the compass she happens to be facing at midnight on Midsummers Eve! Something like that anyway. Hmmmm! Anyone seen my green tambourine?