• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Been there too. I got up at 7 am this morning meaning to pop out to the local shop when it opened at 8 am, started playing with Terragen and finally dashed down at 9:30 pm, half-an-hour before it shut! Happy (Belated) Easterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :sleep:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I only got it a couple of weeks back and this is the first chance I've had to play with it. I actually completed my first landscape without losing my sanity, so I'm well chuffed, which is more than I managed with Blender which drove me nuts before I threw in the towel. I've found it much more intuitive to use and hopefully I can figure out how to get it to play with Poser so I can finally say farewell to Bryce (and TerraDome 2). Pity really, because I loved that programme until the big D killed it!

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't know about it playing with Poser, but back when I was playing with version 2, IIRC, I was able to export a terrain, and then import it into Bryce fairly successfully. It only worked easily a couple of times, but it was good.

Terre

Renowned
My husband uses Bryce and Skyrim for landscapes depending on his needs. Seriously. Skyrim was done in Vue and they did a great job. Soon after getting the game he showed me his character walking through a forest and some of the trees were clearly aspens. I'm sure someone with more botanical knowledge could identify some other plants.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The wallpaper on my laptop is from Skyrim. ;) I don't play the game, but they have/had a large selection on their site, so I downloaded one.

Bryce is how I got into 3D graphics back in the day.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Just checked with Poser and it imports BVH Motion, 3D Studio, DXF, Lightwave, Wavefront OBJ and exports: RIB, BVH Motion, 3D Studio, DXF, Lightwave, Wavefront OBJ, VRML, COLLADA/RWY. I haven't checked Terragen yet apart from it imports Lightwave and Wavefront OBJ which is OK with me because that's the way I used to work with Bryce. I.E. Creating the landscape in Bryce and exporting my output from Poser as a Wavefront OBJ. So far so good, so all I have to do is keep my fingers crossed that I can import the materials with the OBJ as Bryce allowed me too. A bit crude I know but at my age, I'll take whatever comes along. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll probably be inflicting some (probably strange) landscapes on you all! :sneaky: It's just a pity that Poser isn't capable of creating anything other than the somewhat restricted landscapes available via TerraDome because I much prefer to gather everything into one place for my images rather than having to start compositing everything. Anyhow, it's just gone 5 am here and I'm off to bye-byes before the sun comes up. Fortunately, Emma's on delivering the Munchkin to school duties this week so please ignore the snoring for the next few hours! :sleep:

Terre

Renowned
The wallpaper on my laptop is from Skyrim. ;) I don't play the game, but they have/had a large selection on their site, so I downloaded one.

Bryce is how I got into 3D graphics back in the day.
Jim got into 3D via Dungeon Siege. He was modding it and came across Poser 4 in the process.
Things get silly sometimes. I remember looking at his screen while he was on a forum for modding that game and some twit was complaining about all this stuff that they thought Jim was copying from Everquest. Every last thing the person griped about was just normal fantasy game things that had been around for decades before EQ came about.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I got into Bryce thanks to the original Myst and Riven, as back then they were created with Bryce. It wasn't until a few years later, they switched to using Maya for creating the rest of the games in the series.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I got interested in 3D when my friend had an Amiga and had something that I could swear was Bryce when I found it, but he told me it wasn't. I guess they were just very similar in appearance. But I didn't actually get into 3D until I was going through some depression in 2007 and it seemed a good distraction, and new hobby. I was always a bit of an artist, though not trained, so it appealed to me.

Dana

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
A bit off the wall I suppose but 3D came along about the same time I was getting to that point where holding a brush was becoming more of a chore than a pleasure and I retired. The shaky hands remain but, thanks to 3D the sheer pleasure of creating images remains, as does the fact that this addled old brain of mine can still surprise me on occasions! That all started with Poser 3 and I have remained a dedicated Poser user ever since. To be fair, I have downloaded various iterations of Studio over time and eventually dumped them because try as I might, I've never felt comfortable with the way it works. Bryce came in via the backdoor, so to say, and was a direct result of a chap called Salvador Dali! I love Dali's vision, not just his subjects but those vast, seemingly endless landscapes they take place in. Sadly, that's something Poser does very poorly by comparison, so when Daz started to offer Bryce as a free download I jumped in and fell in love all over again. Perfect answer! Right up until the lack of development on Daz' part meant Bryce no longer worked in the more recent Windows OS. End of dream and a large number of resources and models which I'd bought and were no longer use nor ornament as an additional bonus. Happily, I eventually discovered Terragen (i.e. last week!) and the dream has come back to life. I have to admit that Terragen 4 was available as a free download (on a non-commercial basis) was a big deciding factor but, what the heck. Even better, I'm finding it a pleasure to use and looking forward to seeing what I can come up with. That's something I haven't done for quite a while. Watch this space!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's pretty much the same for me Myth. I got sick a 3 years ago and I just didn't have the energy or strength to set up the paints and lift my arm so I got DS as it was free. I could probably paint again maybe but I love the 3D stuff now lol

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I stumbled into 3D about 10-11 years ago when I found a digital art magazine at the store I was working at. It had a CD with some stuff on it and loads of tutorials for different programs including Poser and Photoshop. I managed to find a free copy of Photoshop 2 and started having a play as I have always sketched but was having trouble with things like perspective and lighting so thought I would try Poser as a tool to help with that, basically a digital artists mannequin. Tried Poser7 could not make heads or tails of it, got fed up. Decided to try DS2 as it was free before I gave up entirely, well that worked a charm and it was sooooooo easy! I soon got hooked on the 3D art and the sketch pad got neglected 90% of the time but I found I was wanting to do things that were either beyond the programs abilities or needed a plugin for. Then DS3 came out and had a number of the plugins I had been considering built in,yay. Nope not yay, I could never get DS3 to run reliably on my computer, in fact the only thing I could rely on it to do was crash the whole system. Was less than enchanted with the response I got from the help desk so dusted off Poser again and what do you know it now made sense. Upgraded to Poser 8 on sale and wished I hadn't, jumped on the Poser 9 pre release sale and loved it. Have kept using Poser ever since and have upgraded when I can but now I am finding the shoe is back on the other foot, DS is now doing easily that are hair pullingly painfull in Poser so I now find myself relearning DS and moving away from Poser.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha that must have been the poser I tried, I couldn't get my head around it either so gave up until recently :p DS and me just clicked but it also helped me understand Poser more

Terre

Renowned
There are several people I've seen who use both programs depending on what they find works better for them is a given program. I remember one conversation where one person used Studio to set up some things then imported it into Poser to finish and another who responded saying they were the opposite. Both found the situation amusing.