• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I wish she'd stop in here when she's "on land" and able to get online.

Mytho, as far as I remember, has "left us". IIRC, he said he wouldn't be back. Something got his nose out of joint, though I don't recall what, as it's been awhile.

Terre

Renowned
A former and now current co-worker has learned the value of leaving a job on good terms with a good record. She left town several years ago and recently decided that the big city was too dangerous and came back here. Due to her past at the store she immediately got hired when she put in an application despite the store having changed hands early last year. The new manager doesn't know her but the department managers do. While the new manager prefers to interview all prospective employees I wouldn't be surprised if he waived that in this case because the dept manager wanting to hire her back is one of the ones he has learned is very picky about his employees.

Hornet3d

Wise
Despite spending over thirty years of working in just two companies the last eight years of working I was made redundant four times and each time my friends thought I had finished working for good. The longest period of unemployment was three months and the rest I had a new job in under a month. I am not clever or special but I have been taught to negotiate which is a great skill to have for interviews and my father brought me up to have a good work ethic and it has held me in good stead. The sad fact is that Terre's former and current co worker is a rarity and an asset to any company that can appreciate that, she also seems to appreciate that there is no need to burn bridges if you do not have to. Good on her she deserves her good fortune.

Terre

Renowned
What makes her even more unusual is her age. She's not even 30 yet. The number of nice kids who don't know the meaning of the word "work" is huge.
Meanwhile there's a new regulation going into affect which says we have to include race in the payroll records. Don't know if it's state or federal but with the mix we have at this store there shouldn't be a problem if it's some sort of Affirmative Action thing. Lots of Caucasians and Hispanics (including the store manager, the Produce manager and two assistant managers), several African Americans (one is an assistant manager). three Native Americans (including the girl mentioned earlier), one Asian (an assistant manager who was born in Thailand and raised here).

Hornet3d

Wise
What makes her even more unusual is her age. She's not even 30 yet. The number of nice kids who don't know the meaning of the word "work" is huge.
Meanwhile there's a new regulation going into affect which says we have to include race in the payroll records. Don't know if it's state or federal but with the mix we have at this store there shouldn't be a problem if it's some sort of Affirmative Action thing. Lots of Caucasians and Hispanics (including the store manager, the Produce manager and two assistant managers), several African Americans (one is an assistant manager). three Native Americans (including the girl mentioned earlier), one Asian (an assistant manager who was born in Thailand and raised here).

You're right, her age is a surprise, to me at least, so I have even more respect for her. The situation is no different here in the UK. A few years ago the coffee shop I used on a regular basis employed a Saturday girl and the owner asked her to sweep the floor during a quiet period, she refused on the basis it would not help her 'street cred' if she was seen sweeping up. Not surprisingly she did not return for a second Saturday and I often wonder what she is doing now, of course she could have become a perpetual student.

On the other hand, having seen a good number of job applications I have to say I wonder just how prepared they are when they leave school as there seems a poor level of English and a widespread inability to get their point across. I have seen so many it the cause cannot be down simply to a lazy individual. All of this is just put down to my being a different generation having a down on the young but I is honestly not the case I just feel so desperately sorry that so many will never find their true potential, not on in a career but in life as well.

Terre

Renowned
It's not you being down on these kids or just being a different generation. There are life skills that ALL previous generations were taught as children (though there have always been some who didn't act on them) and teens that many of these kids weren't taught. Having to learn them as adults is very hard. I too feel sorry for them.

Hornet3d

Wise
Unfortunately the recent trend in the UK has been to try to open a divide between the generations. Some news sources blame the older generation of voting to leave the European Union and, allegedly, selling the youth's future while others are saying that the housing market is stacked against the young. This is largely based on the fact that since the banking crisis there are few 100% mortgages available and house buyers now have to find a 20 - 24% deposits, they don't mention that if you go back 35 years to when I purchased a house that is exactly the sort of deposit I needed. On the plus side there has been a recent move to base nursery schools and old people's homes on the same site and no surprise to find that both generations appear to benefit from such a move.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those types of deposits were the norm here back when I purchased my apartment back in 1988. We got lucky when our attorney was able to find a mortgage company that would give us 100% mortgages. We only needed to put down $1,000 as a deposit, and we got that back when we signed the purchase papers.

Hornet3d

Wise
Those types of deposits were the norm here back when I purchased my apartment back in 1988. We got lucky when our attorney was able to find a mortgage company that would give us 100% mortgages. We only needed to put down $1,000 as a deposit, and we got that back when we signed the purchase papers.

Oh I am not saying that such mortgages were wrong, they helped a lot of people on the housing ladder. What I object to is the blame for their loss being put onto the shoulders of older people. There are even calls from some quarters for the pensioners to give up some of their pensions to make it easier on the young. No mention is made of the fact many of the same people saved all their life for retirement only to be penalised with near zero interest returns on those savings thanks to some very suspect practices by a group of greedy people who lost very little, if anything, as they were bailed out. It is typical diversion tactics, blame the old and hopefully no one will see who is really to blame but if we are not careful it drives a wedge between the generations who will both lose out in the long run.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not all youngsters don't have a work ethic...many young people are very conscientious. My son works at a local supermarket which recently went through receivership. He and the other young man working there are both willing to go above and beyond and to do extra that they don't get paid for. Including staying back to lock up when new management ask as they don't yet know the lock up system.

Hornet3d

Wise
Not all youngsters don't have a work ethic...many young people are very conscientious. My son works at a local supermarket which recently went through receivership. He and the other young man working there are both willing to go above and beyond and to do extra that they don't get paid for. Including staying back to lock up when new management ask as they don't yet know the lock up system.

Totally true, I have two nieces who both work very hard and often at more than one job at a time but they seem to be the exception when compared with the friends of the same rough age.

Terre

Renowned
I just wish there were more exceptions. My new boss is only 29 but he worked his way up starting from when he was in HS and earned the position he has now. He has two younger brothers. The elder of the two has the same work ethic he does. The youngest not as good as his older brothers but better than some I've seen.

Hornet3d

Wise
I do wonder at times, like the young lad that came to an interview and stated the reason for losing his last job was he was sacked. Story goes he was asked to stay on at work as the burglar alarm could not be set and he was to remain until the alarm technician arrived. Despite this he decided to leave to go to a well known burger chain for a meal, while there he relayed the whole story on Facebook. I am not sure which was worse leaving his post or advertising it to a large chunk of the world. He did not get the job he was interviewed for but strangely this was not the prime reason he was not successful.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think we probably notice the exceptions (whether poor and great work ethics) when it's possible most people (even the teens) fall somewhere in the middle. Most of us are passionate and devote an exceptional amount of effort on something. It's just not always work (or school).

My son was a terrible student. He scored just below the cut off for his elementary school talented and gifted program in first grade. Since that cut off differed (and still does) depending on your state, district, or school, he might well have been accepted into the program if we'd been elsewhere ... or if teacher's recommendations had been considered. I can't tell you how many times his teachers told us through the years that he was bored and wasn't challenged in school. Even when he did his homework, he often didn't turn it in. I wish we'd challenged the decision not to place him in the talented and gifted program.

But, if you thought he was lazy, you'd be so wrong. I was amazed at the amount of research and effort he put into things he was interested in. When he started playing Dungeons and Dragons, he was his group's Dungeon Master and spent hours researching and planning their adventures. While other parents were upset over how much time their kid's spent on D&D, I was glad to see my son so strongly committed to something that was teaching him valuable skills. Absolutely, I wished he'd have put a fraction of the effort into his grades and schoolwork. But if he wasn't going to learn these skills in class, at least he was learning them somewhere!

Granted, I think earlier generations (those who were adults before the 20th century), probably had the best work ethics. At least ... the "common" folk The filthy rich folk spent their days lazing about or flitting from social fling to social fling ... or bossing the help about :wink:

When people depended on growing and raising their own food, if they didn't have a strong work ethic, they starved. It wasn't until life got easier for the average person that our work ethics started slipping. Once we all started having more time available for fun and leisure activities, our priorities started shifting away from devoting our lives to work.