• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Good morning. I want to go back to bed, but I have to make it instead. I need to finish getting ready for work, aka put shoes on and find my phone.

McGyver

Energetic
I can't believe it's February 21 already...
Did any of you know today is February 21?
It's probably not, because I suspect by the time anyone does read this, several days will have passed.
Nonetheless, what I'm really excited about is that on this day in the year 362 A.D., Athanasius returned to Alexandria...
Right?
I can't believe I didn't bake or steal a cake.
I forgot to mark it on my calendar, but my calendar accidentally caught on fire, like most of my calendars seem to do...
But somehow I found an old coconut shell I wrote the date on, so I didn't forget.
Athanasius is the the inventor of the unicycle...
He really isn't, but apparently I couldn't find anything really exciting about him so I created an interesting backstory for him.
Technically he was a noted Egyptian Christian leader of the fourth century and a couple of years ago I had some app or something that used to remind me about important historic dates in case I time traveled or needed an excuse for why I couldn't go somewhere (ex: "today is Ghenghis Khan's birthday, sorry... I can't go, I have to do nomadic warrior stuff today")...
Anyway before it stopped working or got deleted, the app left me note that "362- Athanasius returns to Alexandria."
So I wrote that down on a series of coconut shells and hid them around the house for future me to find in case I needed to know that at some point.
I'm supposing it really only made sense to do that if it told me the exact time he returned to Alexandria...
I suppose in case I time travel with my '72 Pontiac Catalina...
That's a big car and if I were to drive through the gates of Alexandria with it at the wrong moment the world might not have unicycles.
Or whatever he did that made it important to notify me of his return.
Anyway...
So far I didn't time travel today, so I suppose I shouldn't bother stealing a cake or celebrating or whatever...
Technically, today is Justus Van Effen's birthday... He was a well known Dutch author who liked to write stuff in French and loved wearing coats with lots of buttons when he wasn't translating Robinson Crusoe...
So maybe I'll have an old cupcake to celebrate.

McGyver

Energetic
Occasionally I like reading stuff I wrote too... Especially when it's something like "Dear stupid future me... If you are reading this... RUN NOW!" or "Congratulations stupid, the self destruct abort code is... "
I have no idea why I added a self destruct feature to the toaster, but it's a toaster only I use (it's in my shop), so there must have been a good reason...
Okay, "reason that made sense to me, in the condition I was in at the moment" would be more accurate.
We have twelve toasters we consciously purchased... I don't know why, but maybe we were searching for that perfect toaster.
For some reason we never toast anything in the toasters though.
Most of them reside in the attic with the five bread makers... It's like a commune for under appreciated small kitchen appliances.
We also own two toaster ovens, one which was my dad's which is from the mid 50s...
That one can smelt iron ore and the lights in neighborhood dim when you use it. The other one is the most annoying piece of junk ever... It's an attractive unit, clad in stainless steel with three knobs that must be turned in unique combinations of patterns to get the device to toast, act like an oven or just sit there doing nothing except making a ticking sound.
I suspect the person who designed it was heavily into Tomb Raider, because aside from a few numbers, all the knobs all have random symbols on them that equate to nothing toast or oven related.
For example, when toasting... What do a triangle, a sideways "T" and what looks like a camel riding a tricycle mean?
Also for some reason you can never get the same toasting or ovening effect twice...
It's like on Star Trek when they keep rotating the shield harmonics to keep the Borg from getting onboard.
Maybe they designed it so Borg can't make toast or warm up tater tots, but I kinda hate that thing.
We use the stupid thing every stinking day and for some reason we have yet to replace it.
So maybe my adding a self destruct features to the toaster I use, which by the way, is a thirteenth toaster modified to heat up small plastic sheets, has something to do with that.
I don't know where all that was going... I had to go take a call and now I've forgotten.
Oh well...

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
F545DFD5-0C97-4EA2-B3EC-523B5996776E.jpeg
Good news my tax refund came in this morning. I got a better laptop with it!

McGyver

Energetic
Hey, congratulations!
Quick question... I read the specs you showed...
It lists "Full-sized island style keyboard"
I'm picturing a keyboard with tiny Palm trees on it surrounded by water with miniature dolphins frolicking around it.
That's not what it looks like... Right?

McGyver

Energetic
I just ate my F8 and F9 keys...
They don't taste like Chiclets...
My breath is still pretty stale and now it smells like plastic...
And cat food...
I'm not explaining that part.
So I guess I don't have an island style keyboard...
I'm gonna go eat a few keys off my old Mac's keyboard... They look tropical.

McGyver

Energetic
Is this an Island Style keyboard?

It better be... That took way longer to throw together and I broke a desk lamp and there is sand all over my work desk.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's exactly what I'd think an island keyboard was! A keyboard with Chiclet style keys should be called a Chiclet keyboard.

Terre

Renowned
Amusing situation at work today. One of the Coca Cola stockers was trying to recruit a young man who's working as a stocker for us for several weeks to stay busy and earn some cash during a slow time in his normal job. Extolling the ease of your job isn't going to sell it to a wind turbine tech.

McGyver

Energetic
This day in monkey related history:

From the New York "Post-Boy" (a newspaper of sorts)... February 25, 1751.

"To be seen at the house of Mr Edward Willet at Whitehall.
A creature called a J-P-NESE* of about 2 feet high, his body resembling a human body in all parts except the feet** and tail: He walks upright and preforms** various actions to admiration; such as walking on a line, hanging and swinging under it, exercising the firelock, dancing to any tune and sundry other things too tedious** to mention. The sense and agility of this creature renders him worthy the observation of the curious. Attendance** is given every day in the week (Lord's day excepted) from 2 o'Clock in the afternoon, 'till 9 at nights. Price, one shilling for each grown person; Children, nine pence."

* Probably says "JAPANESE". Ink is smeared and partly missing.
** Probably what is says. Ink is smeared

Apparently this monkey, (possibly a Japanese Macaque) who's name is not mentioned, but may have actually been the same monkey named "Captain Jo-Jo" mentioned in later New York Gazette article eight years later, who went on to sue one "E. Willet of Whitehall" for back wages and intellectual copyright theft...
Captain Jo-Jo successfully collected compensation and used the funds to start his own theater in lower Manhattan.
It is believed that Captain Jo-Jo is one of the first monkey playwrights in colonial America and is mostly likely the founder of what would become the Broadway theater district in New York City.
Isn't history fun?