• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Sparky's items for HiveWire Dog

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Thanks. Now if only my damn investments will stop dropping for a while so I can save up enough to buy another darn computer to play with all my new stuff! :(

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thanks. Now if only my damn investments will stop dropping for a while so I can save up enough to buy another darn computer to play with all my new stuff! :(
I hear you Carmen, not sure yet if its the monitor or the graphics card that needs replacing but something is causing it to keep going blank on me

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ohhhh be careful Dreamer it might be a Hard Drive going, that's what happened to me (and why I don't have poser at the moment, because my DS HD is full so I can't load Psr on it and can't afford another HD)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
ohhhh be careful Dreamer it might be a Hard Drive going, that's what happened to me (and why I don't have poser at the moment, because my DS HD is full so I can't load Psr on it and can't afford another HD)
Better not be the blasted HD! Screen or card I can probably replace but not a HD

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I've completed the mastiff today.

So much better than my effort... and so much closer to finished too, of course! Looking forward to this (and to the Greyhound, but then, as a Whippet owner, I'm biased on the sighthound front).

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Nah. Its my GPU. Turns out the damn laptops apple produced 10 year ago now(damn where has time gone?!) were defective, the whole lot number and there were never any produced to replace them so when they go bad and they have been going bad for different people at different times through out the history of the card/laptop, it became a useless effort replacing them. mine lasted over 8 years before the problem reared its ugly head (a problem that got worse for the next short period until it was useless). By that time it was declared a 'Vintage" model and therefore Apple felt it would no longer support it. O lucky me. The pain in the arse is all the apps I had invested in (Poser MS WORD, and the whole Adobe Suite my family gifted me then) that ran on it is now useless to me because of the upgrade (forced obsolescence) functions of the OS and hardware combo.
So not only i all the hardware that was compatible the software too needs to be replaced. I have hel out but that sucks. But I swore no more money is going to microsoft or Adobe.

Last edited:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Better not be the blasted HD! Screen or card I can probably replace but not a HD
GO SSD drive much safer from all I hear and read. I bought an external at Costco and it works nice. Because of all the trouble i have had and ALL the Darn work I have lost for poor backup strategy I try to gt n external big enough t back up whatever i have in the computer and I was directed to many articles that vaunted the value of SSD druves over HD's.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Apple is the worst about planned obsolescence. My fiancee's macbook pro had to be updated in order to continue using XCode, he was trying to develop iOS apps at the time, and the update made the computer so slow it was unusable and there was no way to roll it back. I was given two iPads to "fix" by different people, each had started a mandatory iOS update that locked up the tablet completely with no way to cancel, rollback, or reset. Also, no support from Apple--because they were one generation behind. Definitely no more Apple products for me, I can't keep up with that treadmill. I still use my five year old Android phone, eight year old windows laptop and twelve year old windows desktop, sure, they're old and one of them is running Linux, but I can fix them when they break, and they still work! And, I can totally still use some embarrassingly old software, my OS doesn't pat me on the head and tell me "you don't want to run that old software on this machine, do you? Of course not, just buy some new software!" LOL

SSDs are great, but they're expensive. :-S I have my OS on a small SSD and use big, cheap HDDs for data storage.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
So much better than my effort... and so much closer to finished too, of course! Looking forward to this (and to the Greyhound, but then, as a Whippet owner, I'm biased on the sighthound front).

Oh, I didn't know you were working on a mastiff, HaiGan, I'm sorry! I just keep stepping all over people's toes. :-S

Whippets have a special place in my heart, my mother used to work at a stable where they had the most sweet and beautiful whippet. There was a corgi there as well, but the whippet was my bestie. ^.^

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I have a dear friend on Facebook that's a total fan of Whippet's, I think it's the only dog breed he's ever owned. :)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
just for thought and not as any condemnation on any of this but I found out of curiosity a lost of 10 most popular dog breeds i America:
  1. Labrador Retriever
  2. German Shepherd Dog
  3. Golden Retriever
  4. Bulldog
  5. Beagle
  6. French Bulldog
  7. Yorkshire Terrier
  8. Poodle
  9. Rottweiler
  10. Boxer

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Apple is the worst about planned obsolescence. My fiancee's macbook pro had to be updated in order to continue using XCode, he was trying to develop iOS apps at the time, and the update made the computer so slow it was unusable and there was no way to roll it back. I was given two iPads to "fix" by different people, each had started a mandatory iOS update that locked up the tablet completely with no way to cancel, rollback, or reset. Also, no support from Apple--because they were one generation behind. Definitely no more Apple products for me, I can't keep up with that treadmill. I still use my five year old Android phone, eight year old windows laptop and twelve year old windows desktop, sure, they're old and one of them is running Linux, but I can fix them when they break, and they still work! And, I can totally still use some embarrassingly old software, my OS doesn't pat me on the head and tell me "you don't want to run that old software on this machine, do you? Of course not, just buy some new software!" LOL

SSDs are great, but they're expensive. :-S I have my OS on a small SSD and use big, cheap HDDs for data storage.
Yeah but I have used both platforms professionally and I have always sworn on Macs. Been a mac user since 1993 with my first Mac iici and I never looked back. But the cost is way higher and the issues of obsolescence sucks. If you computer holds up and my old Mac IIci lasted 13 years and died only bcause the motherboard got fried after countless power brownouts and blackouts finally did it in. Generally the alernatives I was using professionally then just did NOT hold up for long. I don't think Macs (or ANYTHINg for that matter!) holds up any more. :(

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Not sure here but it seems the screen or card would be more expensive to replace than a HD. I got mine at Costco fairly cheap and you can get externals (HD or SSD) fairly inexpensively (compared for what they used to go for!. Several years ag I invested in an external set of cable conectors (not a housing) that you can hook up several drives and configurations on an as needed basis. One connector kit can be used for many drive types. A real good investment.
A source for drives I have used for a lng time Otherworld Computing here in the states. The people there are informed and helpful and thy have quite a large assortment of accessories (though not sure if that embraces all platorms).

DanaTA

Distinguished
I recently got a USB 3.0 2TB external drive for $79. They put the data from a dead drive on it for me. My computer doesn't have USB 3, but the laptop does. After I'm sure I've gotten everything off it that I need, it will be used with the laptop.

Oh, and I got two 4TB hard drives, cloning done by the shop, data recovery on one of them (the data that was put on the external because it took longer to finally get the data off, it kept failing, and I wanted my computer back), all for a little over $400. Fortunately, we had a good tax return this year, plus that stimulus money.

Dana

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Yeah but I have used both platforms professionally and I have always sworn on Macs. Been a mac user since 1993 with my first Mac iici and I never looked back. But the cost is way higher and the issues of obsolescence sucks. If you computer holds up and my old Mac IIci lasted 13 years and died only bcause the motherboard got fried after countless power brownouts and blackouts finally did it in. Generally the alernatives I was using professionally then just did NOT hold up for long. I don't think Macs (or ANYTHINg for that matter!) holds up any more. :(

Yeah, we've had an Apple II series in the loft that still works since the 1980's! They weren't always designed to be worthless in two years. That's new, LOL.

I have also used both platforms professionally. You just get less value for the money with MACs nowadays, given that Apple will intentionally break it in two or three years to get you to buy a new one. The Jobs just too far outweighed the Wozniak in that company. LOL

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
I think I've finished the next four breeds, just needed a bit of a break before I pack them up and put them through testing. To that end, I opened up my bear to see what needed doing, and I just wasn't happy with the way it looked. So, I pulled it into ZBrush and just resculpted the whole damn thing, starting with a naked bear.

BearWIP02.jpg

Once I've got this to where I like it, I'll add some fur volume back to it. That way the fur volumes can be informed by actual anatomy, rather than an amorphous brown marshmallow like it was before. ^.^

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yay! Got the Beagle! Who knows when I'll get to using it. Need to reinstall stuff, and learn things all over again. Even DS is like a new application these days, and that was my main 3D app. It's been so long since I've used it.

Dana

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Not sure here but it seems the screen or card would be more expensive to replace than a HD. I got mine at Costco fairly cheap and you can get externals (HD or SSD) fairly inexpensively (compared for what they used to go for!. Several years ag I invested in an external set of cable conectors (not a housing) that you can hook up several drives and configurations on an as needed basis. One connector kit can be used for many drive types. A real good investment.
A source for drives I have used for a lng time Otherworld Computing here in the states. The people there are informed and helpful and thy have quite a large assortment of accessories (though not sure if that embraces all platorms).
HD and card would cost about the same after having a quick look but then there is the having to get everything onto the new HD, not fun. New secondhand screen will cost a bit more than either but would be the easiest given age of computer lol.
And now better stop derailing @Sparky's thread, sorry dear :inverted: