• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Well after a 2-week hiatus to deal with Thanksgiving (I cook a labor intensive meal for family (Thurs) and friends (Fri)), I'm finally back to work. Going back to updating my 2006 Gamebirds, I've started with Northern Bobwhite. After several test renders it appeared quite clear I'm going to have to redo the texture. Sadly for me/Positively great for you (lol), it looks like the majority of my "early" texture maps really don't come near my current standards so the majority are going to be redone (hence alot of extra work I wasn't planning on). Here's a work-in-progress shot of the new bobwhite and the promo render from the old one. I still have to finish the back and tail, add new bump, displacement and specular maps and clean-up everything... but it's a significant improvement.

Oh, what was popular at my Thanksgiving? The clear winners were Versunkener Apfelkuchen (Buttery German Apple Cake), Charred Sweet Potatoes With Hot Honey Butter and Lime and Glazed Leeks With Pine Nut Salsa Verde.

Huge improvement Ken. Excellent work my friend.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hussar Saddle & Tack for the HiveWire Horse (in your dropboxes)
dForce Hussar Uniform for Dusk and G8M (in Submissions)
Hussar Uniform Accessories for Dusk and G8M (in Submissions)

Team: Suze, Jenny, Tana

Tana - please help test these as much as you can.

I'm going to try putting this all in one thread, even though there are three products. One for the Horse items and one for both the Outfit and the Accessories. They are intended to work together (but don't all have to). PLEASE post which product you are reporting issues with, if there are any. If I need to separate them I will.

Let's look at them in the above order, please.

Keep in mind a few things:

1-She does VERY complex products, as you will recall from her Horse Mertail and Leash items. These are no exception, particularly the Saddle & Harness.

2-This is QAV, not Beta testing, so we are NOT going to suggest "gee, this would be nicer if..." things. Not concerned if colors are similar to one another, etc. We want to make sure MOST importantly that everything applies without path errors or missing files.

3-I suggest doing a quick read of the included pdf first so you know where to find things, then please refer to it to see if it helps answer any questions. Make sure everything loads or applies correctly, that poses don't have pokethru, and do a few spot checks of rendering. Some sims of dForce would be nice if you can.

Things that have been addressed or to note:

Saddle & Harness

This product is one we've already done some fixing of. I've done some work to the ReadMe but it's not done.

1-There are "Scene Subsets", which bring in EVERYTHING needed (saddle, harness, figure (Dusk or G8M, & horse) and pose them. Also "Wearable Presets Reins", which bring in posed reins for either Dusk or G8M. This is what MOST people will likely use

2-Additionally there are ways to bring in all the items or each item, and those will need posing manually. This isn't necessarily easy, but if people want to fiddle with it they can. You don't need to do that. I am figuring that if people want to fiddle, they can do so on their own and if they find it isn't easy, they can use the Scene Subsets and/or wearable rein presets.

3-YES, the reins come in INSIDE the horse. We know that. People need to either fiddle with them, or use the already posed reins or full wearble sets. Not our problem to figure out HOW to pose them but she notes that there are dials in them (in her pdf).

4-I'd like input on this - Under Individual parts, there are separate folders for Iray and 3DL - she's explained it needs to be that way as you have to apply materials to multiple parts so just having the items and materials for each render engine would be less user friendly. She has deer fits inside. After you look at things and try them, can you tell me if it's best to leave them where they are or put a folder called "Deer Fits" at the same level as the Individual Parts, with 3DL & Iray folders inside?

Outfit

1-You don't need to check materials for both figures - they are just duplicated. Make sure things fit the figure correctly, maybe apply a pose or two (though they are dForce capable so if people find pokethru using them as conforming, they can just move to dynamic), and apply the materials for one figure or the other.

2-I will change the folder called Cloth Shaders to Cloth Shader Presets

Accessories

1-Same issues as the outfit.

Hope you have fun with these!

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's a couple renders from two different camera angles of the new version of the male and female Bobwhite

Attachments

• Bobwhite2.jpg
    Bobwhite2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Bobwhites.jpg
    Bobwhites.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 280

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wow, looks awesome Ken. So great.

Takes me back to being a kid and getting Bobwhite eggs from the Fish and Game in Washington state and hatching them out at home in an incubator and releasing them after raising them.

Good times.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Well after a 2-week hiatus to deal with Thanksgiving (I cook a labor intensive meal for family (Thurs) and friends (Fri)), I'm finally back to work. Going back to updating my 2006 Gamebirds, I've started with Northern Bobwhite. After several test renders it appeared quite clear I'm going to have to redo the texture. Sadly for me/Positively great for you (lol), it looks like the majority of my "early" texture maps really don't come near my current standards so the majority are going to be redone (hence alot of extra work I wasn't planning on). Here's a work-in-progress shot of the new bobwhite and the promo render from the old one. I still have to finish the back and tail, add new bump, displacement and specular maps and clean-up everything... but it's a significant improvement.

Oh, what was popular at my Thanksgiving? The clear winners were Versunkener Apfelkuchen (Buttery German Apple Cake), Charred Sweet Potatoes With Hot Honey Butter and Lime and Glazed Leeks With Pine Nut Salsa Verde.

Your annual feast sounds amazing. Wow! Did you take pictures?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks everyone, fingers crossed that the Ring-necked Pheasant's upgrade will look just as good (I'm starting that today).

@Chris.... sorry no pictures this year. I forgot with chaos happening between crunch time (final prep) and guests arriving.

Jan

Adventurous
Saw this unusual Parrot on Australian Geographic.com.

Dracula Parrot1.jpg

"ALSO KNOWN as Pesquet’s parrot or the vulturine parrot, the Dracula parrot is found only in the cloud forests in the foothills and lower mountains of New Guinea.
Like silk lining flashing from inside a weathered overcoat, its brilliant scarlet plumage contrasts perfectly with its dusty grey chest, back, and tail. These striking feathers have made it a target of local poaches, which, together with increasing habitat loss, has driven the species to dangerously low numbers.
The Dracula parrot is a large, heavy bird, stretching to almost half a metre from beak to tail and weighing in at almost a kilogram. It maintains all that bulk by feeding almost exclusively on figs, which researchers suspect is why it ended up with its strange semi-bald head
Just as vultures lost the feathers on their head as an adaptation for feeding on bloody carcasses, it’s thought that the Dracula parrot did the same in response to its diet of sticky fruits – the lack of feathers around its beak and eyes mean it’s able to avoid turning its face into a matted mess."

Good looking Parrot but with a Vulture looking head head eh!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those bright red feathers are very striking, but yes his head definitely looks like a vulture.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Funny bird!
Okay Ken, if you do this one would he be based on the parrot or the vulture base?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Cool looking parrot, Jan. I had never seen that species before.

I still have a long way on cleaning up the texture but wanted to share the work on the last piece of my Gamebirds update... the Ring-necked Pheasant.

Attachments

• Render 1.jpg
    Render 1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 209

Jan

Adventurous
Oh these updated Game Birds are looking so good. Can't wait until you have finished, hope its real soon :thankyou: for all the hard work.

Harimau

Eager
Saw this unusual Parrot on Australian Geographic.com.

View attachment 54559

"ALSO KNOWN as Pesquet’s parrot or the vulturine parrot, the Dracula parrot is found only in the cloud forests in the foothills and lower mountains of New Guinea.
Like silk lining flashing from inside a weathered overcoat, its brilliant scarlet plumage contrasts perfectly with its dusty grey chest, back, and tail. These striking feathers have made it a target of local poaches, which, together with increasing habitat loss, has driven the species to dangerously low numbers.
The Dracula parrot is a large, heavy bird, stretching to almost half a metre from beak to tail and weighing in at almost a kilogram. It maintains all that bulk by feeding almost exclusively on figs, which researchers suspect is why it ended up with its strange semi-bald head
Just as vultures lost the feathers on their head as an adaptation for feeding on bloody carcasses, it’s thought that the Dracula parrot did the same in response to its diet of sticky fruits – the lack of feathers around its beak and eyes mean it’s able to avoid turning its face into a matted mess."

Good looking Parrot but with a Vulture looking head head eh!

Another Vulturine Parrot (Pyrilia vulturina), this one from the Amazonian Forests:
Pyrilia vulturina.jpg

Here are more information on Pesquet’s Parrot, (Psittrichas fulgidus):
Pesquet’s or Vulturine Parrot_2.jpg
Pesquet’s or Vulturine Parrot_3.jpg
Pesquet’s or Vulturine Parrot_4.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Finished cleaning up the Pheasant... Apart from some minor cleaning up some of the other gamebird textures, I now can start finalizing the Firefly version. Once all of that is stable, it's 3-5 days more making Iray, 3Delight and Superfly versions. Fingers crossed, the updated Gamebirds could be ready at the end of the year, and if not, the first weeks of January.

Untitled.jpg