• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yikes! Glad you're better after your ER visit and surgery, Ken

Lovely lovely lovely!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ouch! Glad you're back to your old self Ken.

Oh, and I agree, the Wood Stork and Egrets are looking great. :)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
what they stole your Gallbladder, swines. Glad you are doing ok now Ken and the birds look great.

to be fair, they did give me an option... I could either give up the highly infected gallbladder or keep it and lose my colon, liver, and probably my life. It seemed like a pretty good deal, so I went for it.

It's never a good thing whenever doctors starting using and adding in extra "adjectives" to describe your diagnosis.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Mine was highly infected too but they wanted a couple of days of antibiotics first before surgery, surgeon said if they had waited another day I wouldn't be here. Glad you went with your decision!

Stezza

Dances with Bees
ahh...
Gall bladder pain
there is nothing worse.... more painful than child birth for sure :devil"

it knocked me down one day .... then aliens stole it from me. :geek:

you won't miss it Ken .. good health :)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Render 3.jpg

Sorry, I haven't written in a while... it's not that I've regressed from my hospital visit-- I'm healed, healthy and feeling great. It turns out it's a lot of work to recode and improve the four models included in the Shorebirds series. On the plus side, I just finished the reworking on the WF7 model (small wader) which looks great with it's new layered feathers.

Here's the American Avocet with a couple other Shorebirds in the background as well as a couple of my Damselflies. The environment is Nerd3D swamp set along with some of my Big Cypress Habitat plants-- all rendered in Firefly. Notice the greatly improved "fluff" on the head and throat. Now that the 4 models are stable, I'll begin coding the new DS versions. Once I finish the 3 Shorebird update volumes, I'm going to do a 4th volume that will include all the rest of the Storks found throughout the world. In March I'll begin to focus on my offering for the Audubon sale and the updates to SBRM, SBRM2 and others.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sooooo glad you're back to 100% Ken, and the Avocet, with it's upturned bill, is very usual looking, and I like it. :)

I nearly swore when I blew up the image, awesome work Ken, really awesome.
I now, the detailing is amazing.

Szark

Awesome
LOL Miss B

Upturned bill is what is referred to niche separation allowing different animals (Birds in this case), to feed in the same area but catch different prey. Just in case some folks don't know this stuff.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, Miss B, you'll find an unusual array of bills in Shorebirds v3, and as, Szark, mentioned each bird's bill has a specific purpose.

Just as, in gardening, sometimes we use a hoe, sometimes a shovel, other times a pick or rake-- these birds have specific bills for specific jobs. Bill morphs in the WF7 model include:

Avocet (long bill, upturned on the tip)
Curlew (long bill, downturned on the tip)
Godwit (gradual upturned bill)
Long-billed Curlew (like the curlew but an impossibly long bill (as long as the entire bird)-- used for catching prey buried deep in the sand)
Plover (short, straight bill)
Spoonbill (short, spoon-shaped bill)
Turnstone (short, upturned bill)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks, that's all very interesting information. I think I would probably find a downturned bill tip, like the Curlew's, less unusual, so the upturned bill tip immediately caught my attention.