• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Szark

Awesome
I just want to publicly say a big THANK YOU to Ken for updating his products to Iray etc and making his new ones with the same. Plus I love how I can just load up a bird with one click. Yes it is a lot of work with probably little payback (well I hope not) but I for one really appreciate Ken's efforts. It's not often seen in the business.

Szark

Awesome
I think these were shown in the TV series Life of Birds, I thought it was cool how they block up the hole. OK you look after the kids, I will bring the food. :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I just want to publicly say a big THANK YOU to Ken for updating his products to Iray etc and making his new ones with the same. Plus I love how I can just load up a bird with one click. Yes it is a lot of work with probably little payback (well I hope not) but I for one really appreciate Ken's efforts. It's not often seen in the business.

I totally agree- thank you Ken! I know how more work it is just doing all the updated textures and MATs for 4 render engines now, much less all the improvements Ken has been making in the models and easier-to-use as well. A LOT of work! I sure appreciate it!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hornbills.... Yes, they were featured in Life of the Birds and yes, their mates wall the female inside the tree nest cavity to protect the eggs and young. The female allows this and waits for the male to come back daily with food-- a sign of ultimate trust.

---

The updates....
The model upgrades is a ton of work and the initial sales during their reintroductions has been less than inspiring but I look at the long game-- an updated model extends the shelf life but more importantly, I actually use my models in my own artwork, so upgrading a model benefits my work as well.

---

While developing/improving my models in the updates, I do test renders to make sure the stuff I'm keeping still works and the stuff I've added actually does what it's supposed to... plus, it gives me a chance to take a break from the grueling work and do something sort of fun :)

Here's the Sandhill Cranes using many of the new feature in WF4 model updates... new crest, breast and throat materials, a crane-like rump morph, plus a cleaner, blended hip to thigh connection. I've also reworked parts of the texture. The legs are significantly better. I still want to add to crane's back, while the brownish feathers mixed with white feathers is correct, it looks too patterned and "planned" to me, as well as flat. A reworking and perhaps some displacement will be in the works. Also, I'll probably make the breast feather transparencies a little more "stringy". Again, that's why I do "test" renders ;)

Render 2.jpg

Szark

Awesome
Ken your rendering has much improved too, awesome stuff and yes the thigh looks a whole lot better now.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
One of the biggest issues I had with my old shorebirds set was the Snowy Egret. I was never happy with it and tried to console myself by saying "there is only so much you do with a generic model". Well, in revising that 2009 model, I decided that I could do better. While it's still not as good as it could be with a dedicated model, it at least now looks like a snowy egret ;)

snowytest.jpg

Szark

Awesome
you did I remember seeing it as I thought what a cool pose. I had never seen it in the wild myself hence way it stuck out. :)

Cool vid and boy what yellow feet is has.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, his yellow feet really stand out from the rest of his coloring. I think that pose is cool too.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'm back to work again on updating Shorebirds. I've been on hiatus for the last 10 days due to a visit to my local ER. No worries, apart from missing a gall bladder, I seem to be my old self again.

Here's the updated Wood Stork along with some cattle egrets and a snowy egret in my Big Cypress habitat

Woodstork.jpg

Last edited: