• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Stezza

Dances with Bees
just a reminder to not visit Australia... unless you are brave enough to do so..

last week a rooster killed a lady and this week a magpie killed a man... :eek:

our birds don't mess around... we all know what the emus did!

DanaTA

Distinguished
I love birds, but there must be something in the water down there! Or are they just starting to take revenge for what has been done to the environment?

Dana

Harimau

Eager
Magpies tend to protect their young, so they attack perceived intruders and whoever comes close to their nest. The poor 73 year old cyclist was trying to avoid the swooping magpie when he lost control and crashed into a fence post. I think there are signs advising cyclists to dismount and walk at the nesting site.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I think walking in that area would have been a better idea. Folks walking slowly wouldn't seem like intruders as much as a cyclist riding past at a good rate of speed.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I've seen those stories but haven't posted any of them because I fear it will produce negative feelings about birds. There isn't enough bandwidth on the internet to tell the stories about humans murdering birds on a daily basis but a single story about a bird attacking a cyclist makes international news. I don't think it's any secret that I tend lean to the misanthropic side.

In happier news, Fall Migration is here (at least on the Pacific Flyway). We spotted numerous Warblers and Dark-eye Juncos have arrived from the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. Within a day or two I will begin to be awaken to the song of White-crowned Sparrows (my favorite bird song)-- several hundred winter in our yard. Cornell Labs of Ornithology has a program for North American birders to help track migration called Feeder Watch. There's a fee to join, but it helps support bird science.

Here's the Himalayan Monal...

him_monal3.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A far better headline would have been cyclist dies from fall while evading Magpie defending his/her territory.

I get so tired of sensationalized headlines, especially, as they are often contradicted by the actual story.

Harimau

Eager
If and when you deci
I looked at these species before and may eventually do chickens but for now, Gamebirds2 and then back to updating older sets
If and when you decide to do chickens, I found a couple of nice pictures of the Malaysian Kampong Chicken (Ayam Kampung). They are smaller and leaner than the Western breeds. As you can see from the pictures they still retain the jungle look of their jungle ancestors, although they are taller and much bigger. They are, I think, the closest a domestic chook can get to the jungle fowl.

Malaysian Kampong Chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus):
Rooster:
Gallus gallus domesticus Ayam_kampung_jantan small.jpg

Hen:
Gallus gallus domesticus The_Malay_(chicken)_female small.jpg

They are free ranging and in my opinion tastes better than normal chicken, especially for curries and grills. See my favourites below:

Gulai Darat Ayam - A Kelatanese Malay Curry eaten with Nasi Dagang, a purple streaked semi-glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk with the spice, Halba (Fenugreek):
GULAI DARAT AYAM NASI DAGANG KELANTAN SEDAP.jpg

Ayam Percik - a Kelatanese Grilled chicken smothered with coconut cream (My all time favourite)
1-1.jpg

Harimau

Eager
Here are two breeds of chickens that are totally black inside and out - skin, flesh and bones! They are highly prized by the Chinese as having health and medicinal properties. Scientists call the condition fibromelanosis. The two breeds are:

1. The Chinese Silkie (white feathers, but otherwise all black):
Rooster:
silkie-chicken rooster small.jpg

Hen:
Silky_bantam hen small.jpg

2. The Indonesian Ayam Cemani (the the most extreme example dermal hyperpigmentation ):
Rooster:
ayam cemani rz0u92oyrkj11 small.jpg

Hen:
ayam cemani $_86 hen.JPG

Even the eggs are black:
ayam cemani Take-a-Look-at-This-Rare-Breed-of-Chicken-Which-is-Black-Inside-Out new.jpg

There are two other similar black chickens:
1. The Vietnamese Black H'Mong:
H'mong.jpg

2. Swedish Svarthöna:
swedish svarthöna 563545076683275003_p14_i5_w800 new.jpg

Harimau

Eager
I got it wrong about the black eggs. I think the colour of the eggs are doctored or they were substituted. They lay cream coloured eggs.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's the Koklass Pheasant from East Asia (India, Tibet, Nepal)... that rounds out the birds from Gamebirds2. The next step is for me to clean up textures and GuineaFowl model coding for the firefly version so I can start to create the other versions. With any luck I should wrap this set up by the start of October which means a mid-to-late October release. I'll then probably spend the rest of this year with more updates of older sets.

Koklass2.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's my Himalayan Monals in Iray. Their range extends from Afghanistan and Pakistan through the Himalayas in India, Nepal, southern Tibet, and Bhutan and they live in upper temperate oak-conifer forests interspersed with open grassy slopes, cliffs and alpine meadows between 2400 and 4500 m.
While not currently endangered, their 40,000 +/- population is rapidly decreasing due to poaching and other human activity disturbances (e.g. habitat destruction).
They eat seeds, tubers, shoots, berries and insects. It is the national bird of Nepal, where it is known as the danphe, and state bird of Uttarakhand, India, where it is known as the monal.

Himilayan Monals.jpg