• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Adding to the Currasow family... the "Striped morph" female. The one you've already seen is known as the "Red morph". I have one more female to create... the "Dark morph". I should add that the droopy crest the male has is the "normal" state, it too can do the females fan shaped crest which is in "display" mode.

Great Currasow1.jpg

Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Another set of game birds will be very welcome.

There was one pheasant in the original set, but the rest seemed to be mostly doves and quail.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The original "Gamebirds" really should have been called "Gamebirds, Doves and Pigeons" and probably will be renamed when it is updated. I've debated moving the Doves and Pigeons away the set and adding in more Gamebirds but that would probably be unfair to those who bought it for the doves/pigeons. That set was mostly gamebirds with Gambels & Mtn Quail, Partridge, Bobwhites, Ring-neck Pheasant, Ptarmigan and Grouse included in it. It also had 4 Dove/Pigeon species.

This new set will be entirely Guineafowls and other "jungle chickens" and will probably be called "Gamebirds v2: Jungle Chickens"

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I am planning some pheasants in Gamebirds 2, though they are less similar to the "ring-neck" type that most people commonly associate with pheasants.

My tentative list includes:

White-breasted Guineafowl
Black Guineafowl
Sickle-winged Guan
Great Currassow (male and all 3 types of females; striped, red and dark morphs)
Himalayan Monal/Pheasant (m/f)
Bornean Crestless Fireback (m/f)
Little Chachalaca
Rufuous-bellied Chachalaca
Band-tailed Guan
White-browed Guan
Hainan Peacock-Pheasant
Koklass Pheasant

I'm about 1/3 through the list now-- working the Monals

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's a first look at the Bornean Crestless Fireback. You can probably see why this species falls into the "Jungle Chickens" category as it resembles one. This species was a little bit of a challenge because the 'flappy' skin around the eye. Fortunately a little displacement handled this better than I expected. I put the preening pose into this render so you can clearly see it.

BorneoCrestlessFireback.jpg

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think Peacocks are quite spectacular in flight too (you don't see it very often so a lot of people don't know they can)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
"Jungle chicken" really is an excellent term for all of these birdies. They do rather look like long-legged chickens. And such an interesting variety of plumage.

Harimau

Eager
The Real Jungle Chickens:

The domestic chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) is primarily descended from the Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus) with a little infusion from the Grey Jungle Fowl (Gallus sonneratii). There are two other species of jungle fowls: The Sri Lankan (or Ceylon) Jungle Fowl (Gallus lafayettii) and the Green Jungle Fowl (Gallus varius).

The Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus):
Rooster:
Gallus gallus Red_Junglefowl_-_Thailand.jpg

Hen:
Gallus gallus_female_-_Kaeng_Krachan small.jpg

The Grey Jungle Fowl (Gallus sonneratii):
Rooster:
Gallus sonneratii Grey_jungle_fowl_(cropped),_crop small.jpg

Hen:
Gallus sonneratii_-_female_(Thattekad) new.jpg

The Sri Lankan (or Ceylon) Jungle Fowl (Gallus lafayettii):
Rooster:
Gallus lafayettii Ceylon_Junglefowl_(Gallus_lafayetii)_Male small.jpg

Hen:
Gallus lafayettii lady junglefowl small.jpg

The Green Jungle Fowl (Gallus varius):
Rooster:
Gallus varius .jpg

Hen:
Gallus varius female small.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
My previous publisher complained that I was "still" doing birds before I left them in 2013 to join Hivewire3D. Since then, I'm done somewhere around 250 more. When you consider that there are over 10,000 different species of birds in the world and my Songbird ReMix sets have only covered about 1/10th of them, I still have a lot of birds to create.

This current Gamebirds2 set fills one of the neglected areas in my bird library... but there are so many more. For the near future (2020), I think it's time to finally do the Hornbills set I've promised for years. Tinamous wouldn't be that hard now that I have the Guineafowl model (that Gamebirds2 uses), and if I'm doing little ratties, I guess I could also do some large ratties (by retrofitting the ostrich model), and that means Rheas, and yes, EMUs.

Updating older sets like Parrots and Woodpeckers will no doubt spawn new Volume 2s companions for those sets. I'm guessing, if things go well, by the end of 2020, I might have the majority of the older libraries updated. Of course, I've said that before... I thought I'd have it done by now, when I started the updates years ago. To be fair, I originally never thought I'd rework every set with new morphs/geometry (like I've been doing), the original idea was just to make them Iray friendly-- I obviously done quite a bit more than that and am happy I did. Hoping you're happy about that too ;)

Here's another Guan... this time the Band-tailed Guan

Band-tailed Guan2.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My previous publisher complained that I was "still" doing birds before I left them in 2013 to join Hivewire3D. Since then, I'm done somewhere around 250 more. When you consider that there are over 10,000 different species of birds in the world and my Songbird ReMix sets have only covered about 1/10th of them, I still have a lot of birds to create.

That is so hard to believe! Birds are you thing! I love your birds and it's so great to have the variety we do in the 3D world!