• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
more iray of Spaldings... this time on my Kiwi Mound

aaa1.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
One of the most striking variants in peafowl coloring is called leucism. The white plumage is caused by a genetic defect which causes pigmentation not to transfer to the feathers. Leucism is not the same as albinism. Albinism is a genetic defect which causes an absence of melanin (but not other pigments); consequently, it is possible for an albino bird to still have some color.

leucistic peafowl.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Nice. I have to admit that I've not seen a white peacock in person. But I have seen a fair number of pictures posted online. And I've seen a number of white peacock feathers in person. The eye pattern is distinguishable, but then I don't know whether those are natural feathers, or bleached ones.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In this image, the eye pattern is obscured, partially due to the camera focus/fstop and lighting... but it is there and fairly obvious when the train is "displayed"

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
...and I thought I was going to take a break after 3 month of Peafowl with a little vacation... Not!

Forging ahead, I started creating some Guineafowl on a whim. After doing a couple I soon realized I was creating a "Gamebirds2" set. For that set I'll be focused on birds that use my new Guineafowl model (that I created for the Congo Peafowl). It will include birds that most of you won't be that familiar with such as Guineafowl, Monals, Guans, Chachalacas (don't you love that name?), Currasows, Firebacks and Peacock-Pheasants. These are basically chicken-like birds of the world's jungles.

While the White-breasted Guineafowl (shown below) is a little plain, most of the birds have pretty dramatic coloring; just take a look at the Himalayan Model or the Hainan Peacock-Pheasant.

As you may have guessed, part of the mission of Songbird ReMix is to get you to know and appreciate birds that don't always make the headlines. Through that learned appreciation my hope is that some will care enough to fight for birds like the Hainan Peacock-Pheasant which is moving towards extinction.

Render 6.jpg

The frog is thinking better the lizard than me

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's the male Great Currasow. Currasows are found throughout Central America , live mainly on fruits, figs and arthropods and endangered. Unlike most birds, the male Currasow is the "boring" bird (though I find his curly hairdo pretty cool) while the females are very flashy (you'll see those in the days ahead as I work throught the textures).

Human activity is very destructive for Great Currasow. They are heavily hunted for food throughout their range and their habitat is being destroyed at a very fast rate. The primary sources of this habitat destruction are logging of mature forests, and habitat conversion for agriculture and livestock production. Their populations are free-falling with less than 40,000 left.

Great Currasow2.jpg

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Wóóóhóóóttt!! Taking some time at home to get me some peafowls!
They are gorgeous! They are one of my absolute favorite birds, next to the owls,....swans,.......ducks....doves......uhmmm....yeah
They are just heaven! Got them, install them and will have some playtime!