• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ken? Quick question; do we have ravens here in Los Angeles? A friend and I were over in the Echo Park/Silverlake area last Friday for dinner and saw what appeared to be an enormous crow strutting along in the parking lot. It was discernibly larger than any crow I had seen before, and crows have been part of the urban scene here for decades.

The following day I thought I saw another one on the roof on the other side of my block. Have we just acquired a giant economy-size of crow, or are they something else?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
It's easy, JOdel - you can tell if it's a raven if it quothes "Nevermore"
:blossom:
Sorry, couldn't resist...
Will leave the REAL answer to Ken ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
These were fairly uncommunicative. (Although can hear cawing from a distance out the window. But since I can't see who's doing it, I don't know if they are typical crows or these new bigger ones.)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'd be worried! :eek: :shineon:

1689313940156.png

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ken? Quick question; do we have ravens here in Los Angeles? A friend and I were over in the Echo Park/Silverlake area last Friday for dinner and saw what appeared to be an enormous crow strutting along in the parking lot. It was discernibly larger than any crow I had seen before, and crows have been part of the urban scene here for decades.

The following day I thought I saw another one on the roof on the other side of my block. Have we just acquired a giant economy-size of crow, or are they something else?

We have tons of ravens and they grow them extra big in Tujunga (about 15 mi north of Echo Park/Silverlake).

There are several ways ways to tell a raven from a crow:
  • Size.. they're noticeably larger (at our place in Tujunga, they're almost twice as large)
  • Calls... Raven calls are lower and more hoarse sounding
  • Tails... Crows are wedge-shaped and Ravens are fan-shaped
  • Crown of Head... Crows are flatter/roundish while Ravens are more pointy
  • Bills and Throats... the feathers look much more "shaggy" on a Raven
  • Behavior... Crows generally travel in small to huge groups (4-2000)-- Ravens move about singly to small family groups (rarely more than 4)
  • Location... Ravens tend to like surburbs rather than inner-city; Crows do both
More about Ravens and Crows How to Tell a Raven From a Crow

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Now, a week after my lower surgery, I'm pretty much recovered... much to my surprise-- I guess that's one of the modern wonders of the endoscope. So what all this means is that I'm back to work much early that I expected and I'm busily working on a new Nature's Wonders insect. :)
NW_LadyBug_Promo2.jpgNW_LadyBug_Promo1.jpg

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Are these the same as the things we call Lady Bugs? The ones in my area are the color of the Seven-Spotted in your image. But the spots seem more round and regular. Unless I just haven't really looked carefully.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, Ladybirds/Lady Beetles are just the European name for Ladybugs. The 7-spotted Ladybird is found thoughout the world (although it was introduced in North America)-- the ladybug that you are probably most familiar with is the Convergent Ladybug which is endemic to North America

NW_LadyBug_Promo3.jpg

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Is there a way you could allow the materials to rotate or shift a bit? I haven't really compared them, but I think the spots aren't exactly the same on them all. Are they? Maybe this would be too difficult.

Dana

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
There, as with all species, are slight variations from individual to individual. The problem with a 3D product (such as this) is that variation in spot arraignment/size would be dependent on the texture maps. The maps are laid out intuitively and are easy to change/edit but I'm less keen on adding 3-4 variations to ten different species in this set. Now saying that, there's is a possibility I could take the most popular two (7-spot and Convergent) and add in material variations for those ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
If the texture for the spotted option could be done as a shader one could adjust the offset in the tiling. Maybe that would work with the texture as well, but you might get an issue with the edges shifting.

DanaTA

Distinguished
If the texture for the spotted option could be done as a shader one could adjust the offset in the tiling. Maybe that would work with the texture as well, but you might get an issue with the edges shifting.
That's the idea I had in mind. Maybe not easily done, though.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
there's no tiling-- tiling would make it impossible for the correct dot patterning/placement to take place. Each species dot placement on the shell is very specific and rarely, if at all, varies. What can vary (a little) is the color of the shell and the general size/shape of each of the dots.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Kind of expected that. If I needed variety I'd probably just adjust the diffuse intensity in the surfaces tab. But then, I work in 3DL.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The convergent lady beetle in my Hummingbird Sage (from the NW Hummingbird Garden set) and two Australian Ladybugs (the Steelblue and the Orange-spotted) with some Bustards in the background (from SBRM Australia v3).

Attachments

• convergent lady beetles-iray.jpg
    convergent lady beetles-iray.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 107
  • orange spotted ladybug iray2.jpg
    orange spotted ladybug iray2.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 106

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ladybugs will be out at the end of the month...

I'm slowly plowing through my next Songbird ReMix set... I have still a long ways to go (even with 100 morphs already in place)... I'm probably shooting for October or November for its release, but here a small teaser render. I may break from it to do another "Spider" volume for Halloween.

Attachments

• Render 3.jpg
    Render 3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 99

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While you probably can't see all the subtle differences in some of the breeds... here's the 12 breeds my Chicken model will support.
For those wanting Bantams too, Bantams are simply smaller versions of the breeds, so a little overall scaling will make them possible too.

Attachments

• Render 1.jpg
    Render 1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 111