• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Stezza....I tried re-installing Carrara through DiM and installed both versions of PostgreSQL, but Carrara is still failing to open...it blanks out quickly so that it never gets a chance to even show the splash. I did notice that Studio has updated again, so it's version 4.15 now.

:coding:
ok
try removing any addon plugins and try again.. if that works then add one plugin at a time to catch the culprit..

do you use a pen tablet by any chance?

Hey Terre :)

If anyone is interested, there are a couple of free covid-19 virus models on this TurboSquid page. There are a couple of toon versions that may even inspire Stezza to tackle creating a Carrara version of his own :)

There's a Studio version of the covid virus here:

covid-19 by guy91600

Yep, I already have done some way back at the beginning of last year and one near the end of 2020... think I put the car file for that last one on the wacky modeling thread I'll have to check... just checked and I didn't lol

I probably thought no one would want a mutant virus at the time... with oozing gooo :D

skylab

Esteemed
As a matter of fact, I do have pen tablet software installed, but the tablet itself is only plugged in when I'm using it. Do they have a conflict with Carrara? I always had the feeling that my other Windows 10 workstation had some sort of USB issue, that the updates were specifically playing around with things like USB connections and even the use of hubs. I would love to get to the bottom of what was happening. The problem with Carrara now on the new workstation is like a sudden flashing out, failing to load altogether....double clicking on the icon, and it just blanks out, and goes back to the desktop, without the slightest effort to attempt to load.

And yes, you can always count of Linda or I being interested in the unusual stuff, like your version of the virus...haha :)

:angel:

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for the tip Stezza. I'll probably have to put Carrara on the older drive since I'll need my tablet functioning, but at least that saved me a good deal of time trying to troubleshoot it on my own.

CONTENT LIBRARY IN POSER PRO 2014 AND POSER PRO 2012

And speaking of troubleshooting, I'll post this if it helps anyone. Flash support is being pulled, and of course this will affect older versions of Poser that used flash to display the content library. I noticed a question about this on our forum, so the workaround is this. I'm demonstrating this with Poser Pro 2014. Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Library -> Launch Behavior -> and choose External instead of Embedded -> then click OK and restart Poser.

POSER 2014--CHOOSE EXTERNAL.jpg

....and once you restart Poser, your library will be displayed as shown below, no longer embedded on the right hand side, but rather in a separate window which can be minimized. This method also works with Poser 2012 as well. So, don't panic if you open Poser and see nothing but a flash symbol where your content library used to be. Also, XL Content Library for Poser by Dimension3D at Renderosity used to be a popular workaround for library issues.

POSER 2014---EXTERNAL LIBRARY.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda ....haha :)

I forgot to mention here that the external library was only an option in the Pro versions of Poser. When Poser 8 was released in August of 2009, some of us were experiencing problems with the flash-based content library, and because we were having problems conveying that it was really happening, I created the disappointed Andy animation to demonstrate the issue on the Poser forum. So, here he is one more time, really disappointed at the loss. Users of Poser 8, 9 or 10 will have to use an outside library manager now (like XL Content Library by Dimension3D), as the Poser content library will no longer function with the loss of flash. The Pro versions will still have the feature to select the External library in the Preferences option, so they will continue to function, along with Adobe Air.

P8-library.gif

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If someone does a Rough Collie, I hope they make a Sheltie morph too (since they have the same colours)

skylab

Esteemed
Have always loved collies :) When I was very young, I was Lassie's most loyal fan. One winter when I was sick with pneumonia and could not get out of bed, my dad came home one night with a beautiful sable collie...he got it to keep me company while I was so sick...similar to this, only lighter markings. Sweet, gentle temperment, named Poco.

collie-dog.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My mum showed a Beagle and Shetland Sheepdog, Snoopy (of course, but his showname was Traveling Man) and Kim (Gay Swagger) whose colouring looked a lot like the Collie above

Linda B

Extraordinary
I use the white wolf tex when doing my 3d Tali, but I use it on the GSD dog morph. I'd also like some Border Collie texes. Had a BC/Spitz mix named Bandit (she had a black mask as a pup which disappeared as she grew older). Tali actually looks a lot like her except larger and definitely bigger ears.

Bwldrd

Admirable
@skylab regarding Carrara and tablet. I have that problem with Carrara also. And yes, the problem is my tablet, have no idea why but if I want to start Carrara I have to have the tablet plugged in. I can unplug it after starting and close Carrara and it will restart next time no problem, until I restart windows, then have to plug the tablet in again for a first start. I had to figure this out on my own, as no one at DAZ had a clue when I encountered the problem (a few years ago).

skylab

Esteemed
Thank you so much for sharing that information about plugging in the tablet in order to get Carrara started. That's actually a lot better than thinking that I'd not be able to run it at all. I'll try it out this evening...reinstall Carrara and then plug in the tablet, and then see if Carrara will start. I can live with that, if it will work :)

I had already narrowed down the issues of my Dell workstation that kept locking up as being some sort of USB conflict, and it would reappear with a vengeance every time there was a Windows 10 update. I tend to separate my data according to type, on a variety of external drives, so sometimes I have to use a hub if I'm accessing several external drives at one time. I found that especially with the hub, Windows 10 would freeze up every 10 minutes or so....I'm not sure why it would work perfectly for awhile, and then roll over and play dead, but it was doing that repeatedly. Probably some sort of data conflict. When it worked, it worked fine. It was just the type of problem that drives me to the edge...since if it works, why doesn't it work all the time (?) So I'm thinking with more time and experience, I may come to understand how to manage it as well...so I didn't trash the drive....just leaving it sit for now so that I could quit wringing my hands over it. I have to admit I'm enjoying the HP i7 with 32 ram...much more peppy than the Dell. Since the juice is there now, I had wanted to use my tablet some, and also set up a decent webcam for communicating while sheltering. So again, thanks for the Carrara tip....I'll test it out and share the results. It might help if DAZ support knew about the graphics tablet issue as well.

Edit to add: It occurred to me that there was a similar issue with Adobe Painter Essentials 4 and graphics tablets, plus Net Framework. Apparently it was still a problem in 2015....this type of problem could be what gives the appearance of a Windows 10 update bug....hmmmmm. Might be getting close to diagnosing the problem.

Last edited: