• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Seems to me I read online last week about how folks in grocery stores, delivery services, and like places like Walmart would be considered priority at least soon, because they are at such risk being out in the public all the time, and vulnerable to folks who for whatever reason think they are entitled to go around without a mask. I read this week that in the Los Angeles area they are telling folks not to call 911, that the hospitals are maxed out. Can you imagine? And I read where a fast food chain in Colorado is having a surging spread through not only the employees but also the customers....so even take out is becoming risky in some locations. If isolation is not an option, then it's best to stay informed and make decisions based on what's best for you, and your physical strength to withstand the effects of the vaccine. I was so hoping this thing would subside by spring....but after the fiasco in DC with so many maskless people shouting and spitting germs on one another, it's hard to say how many people will become infected, or even die, because of their recklessness. This pandemic is like biological war....but most of our people are not taking it seriously....it's like being stuck in the foxhole with Gomer Pyle, doing more damage than even the enemy.

:coding:

Terre

Renowned
Exactly. I just got the initial signup work done online just now.
When a website says you'll be getting a text with a code shortly they aren't kidding. It arrived within a few seconds.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Sometimes it's a challenge to ignore the elephant in the room, and this week has been one of those times. Growing up in the sixties, it was normal to see violent things in the news...the Vietnam war, numerous assassinations, and always protests of some kind. After awhile it all just became one big blur of unrest. This week things went to a new level, and hopefully will be remembered as something we never should revisit. Here's DC Hein, as a comical reminder of how not to win friends and influence people...and perhaps make sure that we've taken our meds before leaving home :)

View attachment 66687
That's hilarious!

skylab

Esteemed
Here's a question for Stezza, next time he comes through. Have you heard of anyone experiencing problems installing Carrara Pro 8.5 on Windows 10? I seem to be having problems. It looks like it installs successfully, but then it fails to open, sorta blanks out. I tried Windows 7 compatibility mode, just in case, but that didn't fix it. Was just wondering. I can still use it on Windows 7, but I like to have my favorite, frequently used programs on the main workstation for convenience. Carrara is my favorite for making adjustments in models, plus I use it when converting your stuff for use in Poser or Studio. If you've heard of any information or a thread discussion about Windows 10 and Carrara, would appreciate the tip....thanks :)

Linda B

Extraordinary
Just reinstalled it on my laptop and works fine, but I did have to let my antivirus allow it to connect to the internet

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks Linda :) I thought it used to work on my older Win10 workstation as well. Hope I can figure out what the issue is.

skylab

Esteemed
Janet...I just had to mention this. I was on Rendo checking on freebies like usual, and all of a sudden I noticed this cat, walking across the top of the screen....hahaha....and I had to laugh out loud. There was no accompanying ad or mention of your name, but I knew you had to have done this. I'd say it got my attention way better than any ad...hahaha....way to go :)

walking-cat.gif

skylab

Esteemed
I've installed the trial version of Poser 12 in order to evaluate rendering time and basic performance. The trial version does not include a great deal of content. For this render I used the Rendo freebie Poser 12 Logo Prop. The rendering speed for superfly on my system was excellent...the difference alone is worth the upgrade, if you already enjoy superflying :) I've done screen captures to help with the initial obvious minimal changes. Notice when Andy's hip is selected, in Poser 12 bright green dots show in the parameters box. At first I thought that the percentages were made invisible because they disappeared when I changed the UI text to 1.45...but they reappeared once I adjusted the width of the box to compensate for the larger text. Here's what I saw at first, in comparison to the Poser 11 box (percentages could still be viewed by right clicking and choosing Settings):

P11-12.jpg

...in this render with Andy, the percentages are showing as usual in the parameters box, along with the green dot markers. The UI text is adjusted to 1.45 like I usually have it. You could also choose a slightly smaller text, like 1.30 or even 1.25 to get the benefit of a little larger text, but not compromise quite as much of the workspace.

POSER 12-adjusted.jpg

Later, probably this evening, I'll run some render time and quality tests for more complex scenes in superfly, and I also need to search for any Poser 12 free stuff. I had already tried the Poser 12 logo in Poser 11, and it doesn't show in rendering, so it is a Poser 12 only prop. After some rest today I'll explore P12 later on this evening :)

skylab

Esteemed
It's worth mentioning that Poser 12 is for Windows 10 only, and the upgrade price is only available to users of Poser 11 (Poser 11 eligibility determined by validation of serial).

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Here's a question for Stezza, next time he comes through. Have you heard of anyone experiencing problems installing Carrara Pro 8.5 on Windows 10? I seem to be having problems. It looks like it installs successfully, but then it fails to open, sorta blanks out. I tried Windows 7 compatibility mode, just in case, but that didn't fix it. Was just wondering. I can still use it on Windows 7, but I like to have my favorite, frequently used programs on the main workstation for convenience. Carrara is my favorite for making adjustments in models, plus I use it when converting your stuff for use in Poser or Studio. If you've heard of any information or a thread discussion about Windows 10 and Carrara, would appreciate the tip....thanks :)

bugger!

did you use DiM?

did you install the database thingy as well... PostgreSQL?

1610336264860.png

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza :) No, I didn't use the download manager. I had the installation already downloaded and stored on my archive, so I just ran that. As far as the PostgreSQL, truthfully I don't know. I assumed it was installed when I updated Studio to version 4.14, but I'll check, or even try to reinstall it if you think that will help. I'm fairly certain that I had it working on my first Windows 10 workstation, so it must be something like what you've mentioned. I'll check....and will try to run the whole installation from DiM...thanks for the tip!

:angel:

skylab

Esteemed
Stezza....I tried re-installing Carrara through DiM and installed both versions of PostgreSQL, but Carrara is still failing to open...it blanks out quickly so that it never gets a chance to even show the splash. I did notice that Studio has updated again, so it's version 4.15 now.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Janet...I just had to mention this. I was on Rendo checking on freebies like usual, and all of a sudden I noticed this cat, walking across the top of the screen....hahaha....and I had to laugh out loud. There was no accompanying ad or mention of your name, but I knew you had to have done this. I'd say it got my attention way better than any ad...hahaha....way to go :)

View attachment 66702
:)