• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Some fun goldfish facts :)

And at this link fish owners are discussing how their pets line up and watch TV :)

...and here's another forum discussion about fish watching TV...so I think Terre was right about the motion being a fascination to them...supposedly they will follow laser pointers too, but I've never tried that. That explains why Jo really seems to like the video game Bejeweled...when you score, light flashes and explodes across the screen like lightning, or a light saber.

At the first link above they suggest that goldfish make noises...little squeals or grunts when they are eating. That would be cool to hear, but would probably require special equipment like used to capture whale songs. They also suggest that they do sleep, but just have no eyelids, so they choose a dark corner to rest. I suspected that from watching Jo's behavior, things like sticking his head up in his little plants. So I'll limit his TV time and give him reduced light time for rest.

:angel:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My fighter follows me around the room (when he's in the bowl on the coffee table) but pretty much ignores everyone else (but I try to only have him on the table when I'm home because the cat likes to drink out of his tank).

My dad had an African Cichlid (can't remember what type) but he'd freak out about dragons, you could walk past with any other kind of statue and he'd be fine but pass by with any kind of dragon one and he's try and jump out of the tank to get away.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That's so interesting about goldfish!

Recently my son and his wife got some backyard chickens. They ride around on my granddaughter's shoulder until they are big enough to stay in the coop. Recently they got four new bantam babies. They left them locked in their garage and something got three of them during the night. The one that was left behind really missed her siblings and has bonded with my son. Likes to ride around in his long hair and screams when he leaves her. He said cats and dogs expect you to do stuff for them but when you do something for a chicken they are really appreciative. They grieve, love and have a wide range of emotions.

skylab

Esteemed
My mother had something similar happen many years ago when we still lived on the farm. We used to raise a few chickens, just enough to have our own eggs, and when we received the original shipment of chicks to start a flock, one of them had an injured wing. Mom separated it from the rest and nursed it back to complete healing, then when she tried to restore her to the flock, the chicken would leave the group and walk around behind mom everywhere she went when she was outside. Even when she'd get on the riding mower the chicken would walk every step of the way behind mom....mom would turn the mower, and the chicken would turn. We teased her a long time about her pet chicken. But it's true, the level of loyalty they feel is incredible.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Jo's little TV arrived yesterday, and his little HD antenna arrived today, so he's glued to the set now, binge watching the CHiPs cop show that's on all day today....haha. Somehow this has got to be the theme of a 3D render....can hardly believe what he's doing :) The only time he turns away for a brief time is if sirens start up, so I've lowered the volume. He definitely doesn't go for a lot of sustained loud noises....but he loves watching the picture. He will probably like Magnum PI next Sunday better, since there are a lot of Hawaiian water scenes that are pretty.

:angel:

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, seems they are embracing a new method of distribution....for folks who are stuck in the middle of long professional projects, they have a "LTS" update path...whatever that is. Appears to require a $10 registration for their cloud. But the normal downloads of their updates are still available free as far as I can tell.

:coding: