• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :) That's how much slack my doctor gives me now...six months at a time. It was every three months, so we're making progress.

Thanks Terre :) I've had dinner now, and relaxed enough so that I think I can snooze in front of the TV some now. So, have a good evening everyone :)

:sleep:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Miss B :) That's how much slack my doctor gives me now...six months at a time. It was every three months, so we're making progress.
Well, my Internist had me on every 3 months when I first started going to her many years ago, not necessarily for any particular reason, other than I was a new patient.

Eventually I just asked her if I could switch to every 6 months since my reports were all pretty consistent, and she agreed.

Terre

Renowned
Skylab, have a nice snooze. :)

Miss B it sounds like your doctor was being careful and agreed to relax once you had a history of being fine.

I wish a lady I used to know here had followed the schedule she was on. Unfortunately she procrastinated too long and her condition went from what a surgeon could remove with an office visit to being something that required her to go back to radiation and chemo. She didn't want to go through that again and passed while trying to convince the doctor to simply do the office procedure that she'd been through several times. From what she'd said her problem was one which could be kept under control as long as she saw the doctor often enough. She was gone less than two months after she told me what was going on and only about two weeks after I last talked to her in the store. Other store employees were surprised at her passing as they didn't know about her condition and she didn't look ill that last time I talked to her.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It often makes me sit and scratch my head trying to understand why folks put off anything that has to do with their health. I'm not one to immediately run to the doctor for every little thing, but if something's not right, I'm on the phone telling her receptionist to expect me within the hour, or the next day if it isn't too bad. Folks who go for the easy way out usually wind up suffering that much more.

Anyway, I especially think any doctor who's dealing with a new patient they're just getting to know, has to be that careful. She probably would've kept me on every 3 months for a while longer if I hadn't said anything, but I don't blame her for doing so in the beginning. In fact, it's just 20 years this month that she's been my primary doctor.

skylab

Esteemed
I would tend to suspect insurance issues for a person who limits their doctor visits. You wouldn't believe what insurance companies are trying to get away with now, and if they know that the person's income is fixed or limited, they have no fear of legal action. Well visits now are being limited annually to two or three by some companies, and annual deductibles are outrageously high. And on the flip side, if doctors know that a patient has good insurance that pays liberally, they will schedule frequent visits in order to collect more payments. This tendency for money to be greedily drained off the top is one thing that contributes to the serious lack at the bottom. I worked in health care most of my life, so I know how things can go. Until something is put into place that prevents this, there is nothing to hold the medical profession accountable. I saw recently where Aetna had to pay 24 million for failing to provide the coverage needed for a lady who had cancer and needed a particular beam radiation...and I'm sure they nearly messed their pants when they were held responsible for that woman's death. When I saw the article I wanted to jump up and cheer....because it won't take many cases like this before the insurance companies will get it that they can't put people in that kind of bind, especially when they agree to cover, and then back out of the agreement. I had it happen twice, and both times had to cover the steep cost out of pocket. For a cancer patient, unless someone is extremely wealthy, paying out of pocket for treatments can totally wipe out a family. Some homeless individuals are in that state because of having health care drain their life's savings. So, quality of life unfortunately is not just measured according to wellness. There has to be restraint placed upon greed in what is charged for procedures, as well as accountability in insurance companies. Many years ago a local ER had a 400% markup in prices for procedures for paying customers in order to help cover indigent care. The night I was diagnosed as being diabetic, I was held in the ER overnight, and the next day just long enough to squeeze a two day ER charge of thousands of dollars out of my work insurance, which was good coverage at the time. When they commented that I had "good" insurance, I should have known what they were going to do...and I would have been better off just being sent home with instructions for insulin shots. It was their way of balancing the books....but it was stealing from the insurance company. When it came to the issue of dealing with cancer, I discussed it with my family before I even went to surgery...that I would pursue it only so far...but that if it became a long, drawn out, costly situation, I would have to just take what comes, because of my age and already existing health issues. Wellness alone does not guarantee quality of life, if over half of one's income is being poured into health care. And, sadly, some who go through cancer treatments once vow to never go through it again...I have a friend who is in the middle of round two, and reaching the "is all this really worth it at my age" feelings. I have another friend who started sleeping on the bathroom floor in order to be closer to a place to throw up. If folks have not been through it, it's difficult to understand fully all that the person is going through...physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually. So, I do have at least a little understanding of folks who prefer to pass with dignity at home with their families. And...if insurance heads in the direction that is trying to be pushed upon this country, with no coverage for pre-existing conditions, we'll be seeing a lot of stuff happening to friends and loved ones that we don't care to see.

:grouphug:

skylab

Esteemed
This morning's clay critter....the Muppet Animal :)

animal-04.jpg

animal-06.jpg

animal-01.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Experimenting with PD Howler using the Dawn, Dusk and Luna Nativity scene yielded an appearance similar to an embossed Christmas card :)

LUNA MANGER CAVE SCENE-embossed-Howler.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Today's Play-Doh critters...clay monsters...fun project for young beginners :) Toothpicks are helpful as hidden "necks" for the heads, and they also make the best tools for shaping mouths. It's better to invest in a 20-pack of multiple colors in larger containers, and avoid the tool sets, since a small rolling pin and toothpicks is about all you need. A google search will provide ideas for projects, or go to my website Clay Creations page to grab some ideas :)

critters-01.jpg

critters-03.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks Janet :) You know, the whole time I'm working with the clay, I'm thinking about how to animate a 3D version of these clay projects "jumping" out of containers in colorful sprays. I never really take a break from animating....haha.

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
Ran across this was scanning for a 3D model of a Play-Doh can...I didn't find any, but I did find this video of Play-Doh Touch. Seems like other animators have had their minds wandering while clay modeling :)

skylab

Esteemed
Looks like I'll be unable to try Blender 2.80...it requires Open GL 3.33, and I don't have a graphics card, just on board, integrated graphics. So, it looks like the show stops for me at Blender 2.79.

:bee: