• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Terre, that would be the true test of whether one loves animating. I would have loved every minute of it :) After their two year investment, they successfully created the most complex character in 3D animation, and the Finding Dory movie would have been sadly lacking without the comic relief of Hank the Octopus.

skylab

Esteemed
Janet, it looks like his underneath front part, under the head, scooches forward first, then the tentacles follow with their respective curling motions. So a trip across the screen would be something like scooch, curl... scooch, curl... scooch, curl...haha :)

I looked through my runtime, and found I had one octopus from years ago at DAZ, that came in a Sea Life Pack. I'm sure the rigging is limited, but I thought it would be fun to take a look at it later when holiday activity slows down.

:bee:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You know Sky, that Pixar animation of Hank the Octopus reminded me I had created one in Blender back in 2012. IIRC, it was from a tutorial I found, though certainly not as detailed as Hank, but I seem to remember not being able to get him up on all his legs as the tutorial had instructed. Now I'm going to have to check to see what I can come up with now that I know Blender better. ;)

skylab

Esteemed
There you go Janet...the same scooch, curl action. Hey Miss B :) Would love to see what you did with the octopus.

Well, you know me...there would be no sleep tonight until I at least gave this a test run. And as I was loading the octopus, I was thinking the whole time now where have I've seen something similar to this before...and then it dawned on me...Nursoda's freebie Folbat comes with a swim animation...and if you propelled him forward, or upward, it would be the same scooch, curl...so I put them together for the first test run animation.

I'm using the old DAZ octopus that's still available. It used to come with the Sea Life Pack 1 many years ago, which is how I ended up with it, during one of the give-aways.

OCTOPUS-FOLBAT.gif

skylab

Esteemed
Added a couple CP free jellyfish, but I didn't care for the way their "legs" rendered...I didn't see an option to turn up the transparency on them. So I just left them floating around up there :)

OCTOPUS-FOLBAT-JELLYFISH.gif

skylab

Esteemed
This morning's clay critter had to be....Hank the Octopus of course :) I had to keep it quick this morning as this is errand day, so my time was pinched.

HANK-01.jpg

HANK-02.jpg

HANK-03.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks so much Miss B :) I was in a hurry this morning, and didn't take time to check what I had typed...so thanks for fixing my mistake :)

I can finally slow down now at least a little. I've been working on a nativity scene with Dusk, Dawn and Luna, and running dynamic robe sims. It's the first time I've tried doing multiple figure sims...I'd like to at least try to use Paul for the shepherds...and maybe Dusk for an angel. That's why I was doing all the texture and clothing conversions...this has been a long project. The campfire alone took weeks of researching and fiddling with it. Being realistic, I'll probably only be able to accomplish part of the scene by the holidays...but could continue with it after the holidays. I'd rather go slowly with it, and try to get it halfway right than to rush through it. Some of the slowness has been due to researching the customs and setting...like for example, mangers were typically made from stone rather than wood. Here's a sneak peek of Luna with point lighting around his head. I still have yet to find a covering, like a blanket or strips of cloth.

luna-manger.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning everyone. I'm being a little lazy today, since sleep is coming easy this morning. I skipped doing a clay critter this morning and worked on the nativity some. Setting up a low poly traditional nativity scene first to give the dynamic clothing a test run. Trying to run the sims inside a cave was asking for trouble o_O I'm still recalling I think it was Gadget Girl's tips about dynamic clothing and how the zero position is not necessarily the x-y-z position...that advice has saved me a lot of headaches with avoiding one character getting tangled up in another during the sims. Here's another sneak peek...so you'll get an idea how it's coming along...Dusk is wearing Gadget's Girl's Biblical Robe, and Dawn has on Lully's dynamic gown #18. Luna just has a diaper with the pins hidden...he needs a blanket or something. Hopefully I'll be able to at least add a couple of shepherds to the scene, and import the cave into the final render.

The wise men came much later, even though their visit is always included during Christmas plays....it was more like a year or more later when they brought the gifts, which supplied the money for the family's fleeing to Egypt in order to avoid Herod's attack on children two years and younger, and supported their needs while in Egypt. The area near Bethlehem where the birth took place was known as Migdal Eder, or tower of the flock, which was where lambs for sacrifice in the Jerusalem temple were kept. Shepherds cared for those flocks, so it made sense for Mary's Lamb to be born in a stable in that region, and for the shepherds to be the first visitors to witness the birth. They were told that it would be a sign when they'd find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloth, lying in a manger. The middle eastern custom of wrapping an infant was not unusual...but finding one in a manger, the animal's feeding trough, was quite unusual, and there is indication that it was a practice of the temple shepherds, when a new lamb was born, they would wrap it in swaddling cloths and place it for awhile in the manger so that it would not injure itself or get blemished, making it fit for sacrifice. Tradition has focused so much on there being "no room in the inn", that the significance of the details of the actual story have nearly been lost.

LUNA-MANGER-SCENE.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Very nice Stezza :) The animal expressions are so well done! If you do any more holiday stuff, please feel free to post them here, we'd love to see them :)

:bee: