• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
The Grinch tried to crawl out of the can this morning...haha o_O

grinch-05.jpg

grinch-03.jpg

grinch-02.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW! Totally amazing to think you could do something like those with play doh.

skylab

Esteemed
I read where Play-Doh was first released in 1956, so baby boomers were raised on it...and I guess it makes sense that because it's so familiar, some would consider doing serious work with it, especially on World Play-Doh Day, September 16.

This is far from being a masterpiece...but a quick attempt at Spock while my dinner was heating :)

SPOCK-06.jpg

SPOCK-07.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not bad. I was almost a teenager by then, but don't recall ever having it to play with. Not sure I would've liked it either. I wasn't necessarily creative (except for knitting and crocheting) back then, so probably didn't have much interest in it.

skylab

Esteemed
I used gray modeling clay mostly by the time I was a teenager (no fun colors back then), but Play-Doh was used in school and youth meetings. Play-Doh is fun for quick colorful projects since it molds so easily, but if you hold it in your hands, any details that you work into it begin to smooth out and melt away. I had that problem with Spock...I lost much of the detail because it smoothed out so quickly. With modeling clay, heat from the hands softens it, but not so that it melts away details. I have tools to work with it as well, which speeds up the process. I enjoyed anything artistic and creative when I was young. I also did wood carving...but I don't trust the grip in my hands now for that...one slip of the grip could end up being a puncture wound. X-acto knives are wicked sharp...haha. The idea recently to pursue working with Play-Doh is partly for other family members, to help them get started...and will be Christmas surprises later. Blending oil pastels and color pencils are a popular item in my household too. I'll always encourage creativity rather than always staring at electronic gadgets and devices...since in the end, developing creative gifts and imagination will stick with them for a lifetime, even into old age.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Had to work on it in stages. Converting the bearded textures saved a lot in struggling with system resources. I've had Dusk's robe ever since Gadget Girl created it, and we beta tested it here. Had to find a robe that was right for Dawn...so that took awhile of testing sims. Luna was an easy decision since he's the perfect baby :) The DAZ sheep and lamb helped with the animals, and the LoRez donkey kept the file size down. I took a short cut with the shepherds and used the base M4 with bearded textures instead of dealing with running more sims on Paul...I was concerned about having the sims snag on parts of the cave...and I'd be next Christmas working out the pitfalls...haha. I was determined to at least finish a scene this year. The animated fire was another stage to work through...and I'll be trying to do that part between now and Christmas. Ideally, I wanted the lights to be darker in the area of the shepherds, and those shadows to provide some contrast between the outside and inside of the cave...but I lack the experience in handling the lighting, so it may take awhile to work through. But again, I at least wanted to get the scene together this year, and the background comments researched here.

BACKGROUND INFO
The wise men came much later (after the birth), even though their visit is always included during Christmas plays....it was more like a year or more later when they brought the gifts, which supplied the money for the family's fleeing to Egypt in order to avoid Herod's attack on children two years and younger, and supported their needs while in Egypt. The area near Bethlehem where the birth took place was known as Migdal Eder, or tower of the flock, which was where lambs for sacrifice in the Jerusalem temple were kept. Shepherds cared for those flocks, so it made sense for Mary's Lamb to be born in a stable in that region, and for the shepherds to be the first visitors to witness the birth. They were told that it would be a sign when they'd find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloth, lying in a manger. The middle eastern custom of wrapping an infant was not unusual...but finding one in a manger, the animal's feeding trough, was quite unusual, and there is indication that it was a practice of the temple shepherds, when a new lamb was born, they would wrap it in swaddling cloths and place it for awhile in the manger so that it would not injure itself or get blemished, making it fit for sacrifice. Tradition has focused so much on there being "no room in the inn", that the significance of the details of the actual story have nearly been lost.

:angel:

skylab

Esteemed
First test of hand animated flame plane...now it needs to emit light. Rendering 20 frames of flame animation in a scene this dense takes several hours...so this part will progress slowly.

LUNA-MANGER-CAVE-SCENE with FIRE - 2018.gif

skylab

Esteemed
...and now we have a flickering light to go with the flame (by having an animated point light added)...and I still have a couple of nerves left after all that...haha. The first frame of this animation is a real hoot...all of the animals, and elements are in zero position, one on top of the other...and as the sim progresses, animals, people, clothing and props go flying across the screen from all directions until everything settles down at frame 30. Then I added 20 more frames at the end in order to have space to play with the fire and lighting. The final animated movie is rendered from the last 20 frames. If I wanted to add any other movements in the animals or people, it would be done in the last 20 frames. Then, to save time, one can choose to render every other frame of the final segment for a quick looping animation like the nativity scene below.

NATIVITY-CAVE-SCENE with ANIMATED FIRE -- 2018.gif

skylab

Esteemed
Janet, Snoopy seems to have a tough choice there...haha. He's like me....my bed isn't just a bed...it's a multi-purpose center of activity.

I'll be disappearing this afternoon for awhile...time for a regular check up with my oncologist. I'm sure everything is fine...just something that has to done regularly. Usually I'm fairly fatigued afterward, so I'll probably rest this evening awhile. Things will be back to normal tomorrow...at least for awhile :)

:snoopydances:

skylab

Esteemed
Back home again...and physical exam checked out fine. Usually takes a week or so for test results. Mostly now I'm hungry, and could use some nap time :)

:sleep:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, and I went today for the "results" of my usual tests, and all were good, so I'm fine for another 6 months. :D