• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So at this point, I have V4, M4, K4 - M3, V3, Maddie/Matt, Laura/Luke all done. :)

Waiting on another test render to finish here... good thing DS handles having multiple instances open. I can work on this while the render is going in the other window! LOL

skylab

Esteemed
I noticed that...that more than one DS window can be open at a time. I found that out by chance...I had minimized DS and forgotten, and opened it again, then discovered I already had it open...I thought hmmm, this is interesting. Poser will just do one at a time I think. DS is definitely light of system resources...they have that in their favor. The interface you disliked so much...the version 1.4 through 2 phase...that was REALLY light.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Mmm... I have found that Genesis 1 also takes the M3/V3 poses very nicely as well. Some minor tweaks on the hands/fingers and feet, but those really are minor usually.

IK I never fully understood. I just know that because my poses frequently put the figures into some extreme bends, that more often than not I have to turn off the IK in Poser for the poses to work properly. And I frequently have to turn off the limits on the figure in Studio as well for the same reason.

The IK in Poser is supposed to assist in realistic positioning of the legs...it's handy to grab the hip of the character with IK on and squash or turn the figure, and watch what happens to the legs. I'm sure there are other uses. Otherwise, almost all of my poses involve "feet off the floor" poses, so it just doesn't help me.

Thanks for the tip about M3 and Genesis....I could begin my poses in M3, then transfer for tweaking in Genesis. That decides it, if M3 works well with Genesis, I'll begin with doing a M3 Last Supper set, and knock out two figures at one time while doing it...good tip!

Here's how I like to think of IK, it's more how you as a person think about your own movement. If you see a cup, you don't think, okay body, lets move the collar, then the shoulder, then the forearm, now lets twist the hand and almost there. . . .

No you pretty much see the cup and decide to grab it with your hand, even through really your body is figuring out how to move those muscles. I use IK all the time, and you don't have to use it just when your figure is on the floor. For instance, lets say Dawn or Dusk is riding Harry, but there foot isn't quite making it into the stirrup. If you turn on IK for the offending foot, you can dial in it's X, Y, and Z translation, and the rest of the lower body will follow. So in a sense the Hip always has IK on.

Also I use IK if I want a pose with both hands touching, or to touch a certain part of an object, when moving the object doesn't make sense (if I wanted the hand to rest on the back of a chair, instead of making the chair 'float' off the ground by raising it's Y translation I would turn on IK on the hand, and lower it's Y translation.

Of course there are lots of times when IK is not the way to go, and it does interfere with lots of other things, so you usually have to turn it off once the posing is done. But it can be a huge help in posing a figure.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Here's how I like to think of IK, it's more how you as a person think about your own movement. If you see a cup, you don't think, okay body, lets move the collar, then the shoulder, then the forearm, now lets twist the hand and almost there. . . .

Thanks... that actually explains quite a bit about it (and why I often find it more of a hindrance than a help.) Thanks for taking the time to explain. I appreciate it. ^_^

skylab

Esteemed
Hey, thanks for the input GG...being a Poser self-taught hobbyist, I'v been accustomed to roughing it out myself. IK on the surface seemed like something that could and would distort poses, the most obvious being twisting of the ankles and mangling shoes. But I did not know that IK could assist with the example you gave of foot in the stirrup type stuff...doing all that manually, you can go back and forth quite a bit before getting it right. I'll have to try that some time. My only encounter in dealing with it was shoes stuck to the floor, so I'd just automatically uncheck it and go on my merry way. I remember when Steve Shanks did his Apollo video tutorial for a dynamic cloth robe, that was the first step, to turn IK off...so I came along with the idea that it's something you get rid of first before you do anything else. I'll have to set up a practice pose exercise, and try that. Again, thanks for the input GG...and come back and join in with us again...this old dog likes to learn new tricks once in awhile :)

skylab

Esteemed
Haha...well you never know about a crazy cat...one minute they're springing and spitting, the next minute purring in your lap. Kitty has gotten used to wolfie now...just a little hair raising the first time...haha :)

skylab

Esteemed
My favorite internet kitty, since I'm not able to have a real one. I like the box slide near the end of the video :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yanno -- I am reminded just how long in the legs and arms the default V4 really is when I do stuff like this.
(Can we tell I don't often work with V4 without morphing her? LOL)

MainPromo.png

Okay, so I cheated a little bit. I morphed all three of their faces.... LOL. But still! LONG legs and arms on V4!

skylab

Esteemed
Oh yeah, grasshopper V4...haha. I like Roxie's proportions but then I guess you never worked with her. I think she was introduced in Poser Pro 2014...but then you do have Poser 10, so she'd be in that. To me, she was an average sized woman, probably 5'5 or 6-ish...with normal proportions. It's difficult to use a figure that is so extreme, unless you're doing caricatures or stylized art. You attempt to pose them sitting in a chair, and their knees are way up in the air.

The little one in that render is cute...with a hint of mischief.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Funny you should mention stylized art because, at least to me, Aiko 4's arms and legs, always seemed out of proportion, but then again, I think she was thinner than V4 overall, so the loooooooooooong legs and arms showed up more. I liked her better than the original Aiko 3, which always seemed very cartoonish, but I rarely used her.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I've peeked at Roxie here or there... just don't have enough stuff to use her is all.

A4 was definitely stylized... very lanky on the limbs for sure! But yes, V4's limbs are lanky by default, so making a stylized figure like A4 off of that base and the long legs and arms really stood out even more.

I use morphs like Aiko as enhancers with my stuff. I never have a need of the more stylized figures "in full" but for me, they help add a lot to a figure I'm morphing. So I do think they have value as enhancer morphs, at least for me.

skylab

Esteemed
Characters like RDNA Star is an example of this...there are times when that works for the type of art being done. Nursoda did this with the Dr. Pitterbill character...in fact, Frank was a master at using out of proportion features to give his characters personality....Slon was probably the best example of this. The first time I saw Slon at Rendo, I thought, well, who would ever want that? Boy I ate my words, or thoughts, that time...because I had no idea I would cross paths with a group of dedicated Nursoda fans, and Slon would be one of my primary characters for comedy. I learned to see him like a muppet character, or like the old Ant and Aardvark cartoons on Bullwinkle (if anybody is old enough to remember that)...the Aardvark had a NY Jewish accent, stocky legs, a long snoot of a nose, and he was blue...the same shade of the skin that Wayii made for him. So while other people were seeing him a particular way, that's what I was seeing, a cross between the muppet Gonzo, and the Aardvark.

slon computer.gif

skylab

Esteemed
When it comes to human models I'm sorta stuck in realism...it throws me off balance so to speak if I'm dealing with a human character that is exaggerated. A friend I used to work with was 6 feet, and it was not something that she was proud of...she always towered over other women, her choices for shoes were limited, and of course when she walked into a room, she commanded such an authority and presence that even some men would shrink from it....and yet she was shy by nature. So in real life, the 6 foot woman deal is no dream. And of course, wouldn't you know, we'd become friends...4'11" and 6'...now that was a comedy :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yep, the XD license would be just about the only way, I think. That, and a LOT of one's own skin texturing work.

I've got the Gen4 zeroes all thumbnailed now :

upload_2016-3-10_18-10-40.png

I have to make supper here. But I'll get the DS versions made later tonight.