• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, I had noticed that...it's easier sometimes to even deal with a scene file import than take time to search out the content is DS. Locating content is definitely a DS weakness. I tried "installing" the Last Supper .duf poses into DS by way the People tree, but when I opened DS, they just don't show. I created them the same way as the basketball set, so it makes me wonder if any of them are really working. That's the part that still feels like I'm stabbing in the dark...not a sure thing for me the way Poser runtime structure is. I think I'll try re-saving the Supper poses again, each with it's own scene file, instead of selecting the characters by going down the line, until all 13 are completed, and see if it works better somehow. I do like it that there is a way to pass content over to DS by way of Poser....I'm importing OBJ that way too, via scene files.

I'm getting my cooking done, since later today we're having some work done upstairs that require shutting down the water. Want to get my cooking and dishwashing done before hand. I'll take a look at the poses again on the workstation while stuff is on the stove.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I had noticed that...it's easier sometimes to even deal with a scene file import than take time to search out the content is DS. Locating content is definitely a DS weakness. I tried "installing" the Last Supper .duf poses into DS by way the People tree, but when I opened DS, they just don't show. I created them the same way as the basketball set, so it makes me wonder if any of them are really working. That's the part that still feels like I'm stabbing in the dark...not a sure thing for me the way Poser runtime structure is. I think I'll try re-saving the Supper poses again, each with it's own scene file, instead of selecting the characters by going down the line, until all 13 are completed, and see if it works better somehow. I do like it that there is a way to pass content over to DS by way of Poser....I'm importing OBJ that way too, via scene files.

I'm getting my cooking done, since later today we're having some work done upstairs that require shutting down the water. Want to get my cooking and dishwashing done before hand. I'll take a look at the poses again on the workstation while stuff is on the stove.

I wouldn't save the poses as a scene file. Save them as Pose Presets.... File --> Save As --> Pose Preset

If you save them as a Scene file, all it will do is try to load the whole figure, as well as any clothing, hair, lights or other props you have in the scene.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
As far as finding your content... I'm not sure how to help you with that. I basically install things to my DS library the same way I did back when I was using Poser.

People --> Genesis --> Clothing --> Item Folder
People --> Genesis --> Characters --> Item Folder
People --> Genesis --> Poses --> Item Folder
Props --> Category Folder --> Item Folder

And so on.

Not sure how to help you with finding it other than that... hmm. Wish I could look at your setup in person, LMAO, I would be able to help you no problem then! heh.

But basically "My Library" is equivalent to Poser's "Runtime" folder.

So... you get this sort of a layout...

My Library/data/
My Library/People/
My Library/Props/
My Library/Shader Presets/
My Library/Lights/
My Library/Scripts/

And so on, like that.

skylab

Esteemed
The only difference that I'm using is My Library/People/M4...etc....and I'm wondering if it's the M4 part that's throwing the hammer in things, since Genesis is what it searches for. They are .duf file poses, but I'm wondering if it needs to be more on the Poser content side of things in DS library.

skylab

Esteemed
So far it won't let me "see" the M4 basketball poses either. They're showing on the workstation...but that's where they were created. It's when I switch to the laptop for testing, that's when I don't see them.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Here's what my Content directory looks like :

upload_2016-2-23_5-22-2.png

Now, I use an external directory, which is why it has the !!Studio Content Library!! label. But this is the DS "My Library" location for my setup... which is equivalent to Poser/Runtime/

And this is what I have under My Library/People/

upload_2016-2-23_5-24-17.png

This is what my My Library/People/Genesis/ folder looks like :

upload_2016-2-23_5-23-31.png

Props is a little bit different. I have my props folder sub-categorized down to the nines, but I did that even back in Poser. But this is what my Props folder looks like :

upload_2016-2-23_5-26-34.png

And this is the sub-categorized My Library/Props/Environment/Occupations/ folder :

upload_2016-2-23_5-26-2.png

Now, like I said... I do sub-categorize the hell out of my Props folder. LOL. But that system has worked for me since the days of Poser 5, so I'm not about to change it now. I don't know if these screens will help you at all, but I hope they do...

So, for your M4 poses, it should look something like this :

My Library/People/M4/Poses/Skylab/Basketball/Basket Pose 01.duf
My Library/People/M4/Poses/Skylab/Basketball/Basket Pose 01.duf.png

Hope this helps.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow, that looks like my Poser runtimes...haha. But that's how I set it up, My Library/People/M4...

I do notice that DS does strange things....like I had been using DS on the workstation for about a week, and all of a sudden one day, all my Poser runtimes were showing in the Content Library tab, when previously it had been blank. Maybe I just need to leave the program up to give it time to search, if that's what it's doing.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Right. That's why I said... the /My Library/ folder is the DS equivalent of Poser's /Runtime/ folder. And everything gets installed within there. the /data/ folder is basically the equivalent of Poser's /Runtime/Geometries/. The My Library/data/ is one of the only things in DS that can NOT be customized in installation. Data files MUST be installed precisely where the vendor put them or the content that relies on them won't work. Just like with Poser, if the Geometries files are not installed EXACTLY to the same place that the vendor had them, then that content doesn't work.

As far as getting everything to appear... did you map your directories? I have a render running right now, so I can't pull up any screenshots yet, but there is a mapping process that needs to be done initially. That is where you basically take your DS by the hand and walk it to it's kindergarten classroom and go "See, little Johnny, this is where all your pencils and crayons and paper are stored..."

LOL :)

If you have NOT mapped your directories yet, I'll try to pull up a couple of screenshots showing you where/how. It would probably help with the disappearing content issue.

skylab

Esteemed
Well, being as I've never heard of mapping a directory, chances are it didn't get done...haha. I may have clicked something by accident to cause it to recognize everything on the workstation, but the laptop is basically a new install and hasn't been used much, except to test poses.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay... you will need to at least point DS to where your content libraries are. The first thing is to click on that little icon that looks like a notepad paper with a white triangle (it's hiding just slightly behind the popup menu on this screenshot).

upload_2016-2-23_6-53-41.png

This is the window that will appear when you click on "Content Directory Manager" :

upload_2016-2-23_6-55-39.png

Moving on to the next step...........

upload_2016-2-23_7-6-41.png

And then the next steps..........

upload_2016-2-23_7-14-56.png

upload_2016-2-23_7-21-51.png

This is how I do it, whenever I need to add a directory. You will have to do this on both computers that you use. Once this is done, you just make sure you're looking under the right format (Daz Studio Formats for DS content, Poser Formats for Poser/Runtime/ content!) for the type of content you want to use.

So any Daz Studio native file would be located under Daz Studio Formats, and any Poser native file would be under Poser Formats. In this way, you can literally switch back and forth between your DS content library, and your Poser content library without ever having to actually move your Poser directory at all. It can continue to live where it's always lived. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

And now, it's 0730 for me; about an hour past my bedtime, so I'm off to go den up and take a sleep. Good luck, Sky!

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
I've got all my runtimes under POSER RUNTIMES folder...all I did was point to that folder, and it found all the sub-folders.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've got all my runtimes under POSER RUNTIMES folder...all I did was point to that folder, and it found all the sub-folders.

Yep. Amazing what a little bit of importing will do, no? :)

And just in case you were curious... this was the render I had running in the background while we were chatting earlier tonight. It's all finished up and postworked now, so I think I'm finally able to go den up and sleep.

Show Us Your Dusk Renders!

And NOW, I am really and truly off to my den. Night, Sky!!

skylab

Esteemed
Oh cool, you did another render, playing with the dramatic lights...I like :)

Thanks for the DS library help...I'll save that info, as usual, to PDF, so I won't forget.

Have a good rest Seliah...I'm done cooking, and washing dishes, and did a load of laundry while playing with pose sets. I'm about done, so I'm off for now. See you probably tonight :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :)

Repairs completed, project was a success this morning. And, I was able to research on the internet a generic variant to the BP med I'm taking, had it approved, and it has already been sent to the drug store. Glad that crisis was easily solved.

I've created separate scene files for each disciple in the Last Supper project, in hopes that the poses will save as .duf without the errors in positioning that happened to a couple during the original attempt. It's looking good so far. It may still require some tweaking by the user, but I'm pleased to get the set converted for DS.

I'm about ready for nap #2. See you all later on :)