• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh but doesn't it look pretty...

It really is pretty! But I would not want to be on the summit in -114F temperatures. LOL

Wow that frozen tree in the first picture is amazing. Looks like a creature with wild hair. ;)

Yes! I can see that, too. To my eyes it looked like a dragon at first. :)

And yes, Seliah, LE versions are fine for pose work since I don't add frills to my poses. Making Harry a mustang was the only time I've done that with horse poses.

Yeah. I'll grab him eventually from my library. Right now I'm just really trying to be a good little wolf and get Nataani finished. I want him done already! LMAO

skylab

Esteemed
I can see why, you need to get Nataani released. I've got enough information to at least get started...so I'll be playing with DS poses for awhile. Keep us posted as to your progress :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can see why, you need to get Nataani released. I've got enough information to at least get started...so I'll be playing with DS poses for awhile. Keep us posted as to your progress :)

I will, don't worry. :) I really only have two more promos to do, then I can zip everything up and... ugh set up ANOTHER user account... to get him submitted to QA. ;)

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :)

Well, I worked all night long, trying to become familiar with DS. Decided to take the plunge into more advanced pose work. Time for a nap...my eyes are drooping...haha :sleep:

DS4 GENESIS 2 MALE - GUITAR SIT

GENESIS 2 MICHAEL 6 --- GUITAR SIT.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Have a nice rest mam. I can see how posing those fingers would be an eye strain. Lots of fiddly work.

skylab

Esteemed
I'm crawling out from under my blanket...or should I say two blankets...one being the snowy kind. Still jump starting my brain. Takes longer to accomplish that without coffee...I miss my coffee.

Seliah, so glad you're making some sort of progress with your project. Getting it completed will at least get you over the first hurdle...the challenge of what to do about your computer will be the larger issue.

Thanks for the encouragement...I was determined to make the time last night productive. We can say we're going to learn something, but actually facing it and doing it is another. At least now I'm not nearly as ignorant of where things are located in DS. Only experience will solidify the instructions and tutorials...good old fashioned being totally lost and working your way through it...haha.

Speaking of being totally lost, has anyone visited the DS section of the DAZ forum. Unless I'm perceiving it incorrectly, there are a lot of issues with Connect, and deciding to back out of that installation may have been the smartest thing I could have done, at least for now. Too bad I never downloaded DS 4.8, I could've had the benefit of trying Iray without all this mess. Oh well. Here's the link to DS section of forum.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Connect refers to content that is sold. If you look at the Daz store, you'll find products listed with up to three installation types : Connect, Encrypted Connect, and Manual Install.

If the product is ONLY available through Connect or Daz Connect, then it gets installed via the Connect infrastructure inside of Studio.

If the product also has a Manual Install, then it can be installed the way we've always done it.

That's my understanding of it at the moment. I'll find more on it later when I get around to the 4.9 update...

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :)

Terre, you're so right about all the fiddly work....haha. I knew a project that that would give me a work out, and help me "face the music", pardon the pun :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh is it snowing where you are too Sky? It wasn't earlier this afternoon, but I went into the kitchen to get something to drink, and saw it. So far only about an inch, and it is scheduled to change to rain tonight, so probably messy tomorrow, as the weather is supposed to warm up quite a bit.

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, the majority of my stuff is older products, with only a few Genesis 2, Michael 6 products enough to get started. I don't have anything Genesis 3, and am not necessarily interested. Michael 6 is sufficient for pose work. So, if I don't have anything "new", maybe Connect will not impact what I'm doing. I chose Michael 6 because they had a nice western outfit for him, to go with Mil Horse 2. Beyond that, I've got the casual clothes for pose sets...tank tops work great for access to the shoulders and upper arms, beards, some hair, a Santa suit, and the dwarf character. That's pretty much it. I was more interested in potential character creation in addition to pose creation.

I'm still at the stage of being a little confused about which DS Library is being used...last night I figured out that new stuff was going in My Document - DAZ3D - Studio, and apparently the My DAZ3D Library, or whatever it's called, contains my older content from DS 3, which I'm still accessing, but it's hard to tell when. In Poser, runtime switching is really obvious by way of the content library, one of its interface strengths...you always know where you are in Poser, and making changes can be a simple as adding or deleting a folder, then refreshing to library. I have a number of Genesis 2 freebies that I've collected and I thought I installed them, but it may be that I was confused and manally installed them into the older DS 3 library...so I may give that a test run with some of Wilmap's freebies to see if I can get them to work. I'd say that's my biggest issue now. I'm great with never having to face using Connect...I really don't like a lot of stuff calling back to the mother ship on my workstation....it's draining when you have limited resources....however, I have to get familiar with manual installs the same way I am with maintaining the Poser runtime. I'll get it...just have to get down and dirty with it, and learn what to do.

I do prefer some of the lighting controls in DS, once I found where they are. The hide and seek interface is a challenge for me, after having Poser tools so accessible. Again, I'll get it...just takes time. For pose work, it's a little odd to have the bone tree on the far left side, and the parameter controls on the far right side....your eyes do a "ping pong ball" thing the whole time you're working an intricate project. In Poser, I pull the parameters box out of dock and place it near the bone info so editing doesn't involve turning the head....and if I'm doing hands, I have the hands pulled up near the bone info and the parameters box.

Is there a way to control the color of the background of the viewing pane. It default to white, and we already know what that does to the eyes...gives you that zombie look after awhile :) I'd like to calm down the contrast a bit.

skylab

Esteemed
Hi Miss B...yeah, we got a dusting, if you compare it to the blizzard we had...haha. And you're right, rain and warmer temps is supposed to clear it out.

skylab

Esteemed
Well, I think I'm awake enough to make it to the kitchen...so I'll go offline long enough to switch to my Vista that I use for the forum, next to my main workstation. I guess my fishy wonders where I've disappeared to. Too bad they don't make long johns for goldfish, or pj's with feet :) ...his tail is as wide as he is long...literally...built like a guppy, all tail.

Going off briefly, be back on in a bit . . .

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is there a way to control the color of the background of the viewing pane. It default to white, and we already know what that does to the eyes...gives you that zombie look after awhile :) I'd like to calm down the contrast a bit.

See this post as far as style/theme options :

Who is lola69 and does his/her script work?

At the top of your DS screen go to Window --> Workspace --> Select Layout
This will allow you to change between pre-made themes (interface setups).

Also at the top of the DS screen, Window --> Style --> Select Style
This gives you access to some pre-made color themes as well.

I have my DS 4.8 setup to use the "Darkside" Style; it's mostly medium to dark greys in tone, and much easier on the eyes.

skylab

Esteemed
Thank you soooooo much....I chose the City Limits interface, then I can just tab out what I want to use, and the background is medium gray.....ahhhhhh....my eyes won't water now while I'm working :)

skylab

Esteemed
City Limits is set up similar to Poser in that tabs run along the top as well as the sides of the viewport...gives a large view of the render history, and the Shader Mixer sorta reminds me of the Advanced Materials room in Poser. Shader Builder looks interesting, though I'm ignorant of its function.