• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I've always noticed when I model something in Blender, it always needs to be resized for use in Poser. Blender models always come out huge, and lying on their sides, because its XYZ axes are different than what we're used to in Poser and DS. How many other modeling apps are similar, I'm not sure, but there are probably others which cause the same issue upon importing into Poser or DS.

I was prompting all the fun people here at the HiveWire forum in regard to this. And added a post suggesting some things that have been suggested many times.
Alas there was never the response I was hoping for, so I will say this myself, now that the illustrious dev team at PoserHome have gone upon their ways.
What it is with the scaling of objects in Poser, is that way back in the very beginning, whoever was making the very first content for poser, was using
CENTIMETERS FOR INCHES! Yes, that's right folks. Many of the modelling tools way back when just had two modes, mechanical and architectural.
If you selected architectural, you'd be working with feet and inches. Major pain! But if you selected mechanical you'd be working with metric. Ah YES!
Much better to deal with. And what does it matter? So the easiest way to make things in any modeling tool is just to pretend that CENTIMETERS are
INCHES. Yepa... if you want something to be what would be equivalent to say 24 poser-inches, just make it 24 centimeters in your modeling tool.
Easy peasey.. Maybe not as perfect as the control prop method for a close fit to a specific character. But accurate within a few percent.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
What it is with the scaling of objects in Poser, is that way back in the very beginning, whoever was making the very first content for poser, was using
CENTIMETERS FOR INCHES!

So the easiest way to make things in any modeling tool is just to pretend that CENTIMETERS are
INCHES. Yepa... if you want something to be what would be equivalent to say 24 poser-inches, just make it 24 centimeters in your modeling tool.

That is information that I did not know before. I don't think I've run across the post you mentioned leaving on the forum, but I certainly saw it here. :) Thank you for that information... I will definitely have to remember that the next time I decide to hide inside of Blender for a while.

That's good info to have - thanks!

That's good info to have - thanks!
There is perhaps a bit of humor in my statement. As usual a touch of madness! Don't know quite how Blender works, but in other tools you would set your display units to cm.
Then you would not be needing further dimensional analysis. That's the whole idea of working the way I described. If Blender exports OBJ units as meters you'll be good.
For those that just have to have inches, if your modeling tool supports scaled export of OBJ, and you have your display units set to inches, then set the export scaling to
38.153% and you will get the same size in poser-inches when the model is imported in Poser. This too depends on the tool using 1 meter standard as 1 OBJ unit.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :) I'm getting a chuckle off my last post...it started out being one link, then I added another, but didn't pay enough attention to changing the tenses of the sentence in the post....so I left behind a mess....haha. I miss the edit that didn't time out :)

Terre

Renowned
Hello ladies. :)
I know that both Sky and MissB are somewhat older than me but I now have a reason to feel old:
The internet feed at work is one where the store can put in store ads in. There seem to be about two every hour. This week we have Libby's canned veggies on sale. Because of this I've been hearing a familiar jingle several times a day. Late this morning a co-worker (early 30s I think) asked if I liked the new Libby's ad.
New? Has it really been that many years since that jingle played, played, played on the air, air, air?

Maja

Eager
New outfits for Pauline are ready for download on ShareCG.

CD-03.PNG CD-02.PNG CD-01.PNG

Maja

Eager
I'm glad to see that you like it. Yes, that's what I think, too. Most of all Poser needs common content. Currently working on a (conforming) suit for Paul. So stay tuned.