• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Now I've really got some pose work to do...got all the figures placed in the boat, will do the test poses, then use those to work on the individual characters in a lighter weight scene, get them dressed and hopefully back into the main scene. This will be a slow project compared to the rest, but one I've wanted to do for almost 10 years....so we'll see if it works.

Need to go off for the evening, finish up my cooking and get some rest...running errands tomorrow, so see you folks later. Good night :)

GALILEE STORM, BOAT, DISCIPLES test.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Hey Terre :) Well, I guess you all can see, as a poser, what comes first for me...and that may be where Seliah's coming from. It's nearly impossible to do accurate pose work with a fully dressed figure, and things like hair, beards, clothing can slow down system resources, so it easier to do realistic poses with miminal clothing. I put briefs on all my models to do pose work...so they won't be butt nekked...haha :)
That makes sense to me. If I reach the point where I'm doing complex scenes I may have to do the same thing. Need to remember this.
Ah! For complex scenes I think Jim gets the figure clothed and such by itself and then imports the finished character into the actual scene. I've never seen him do a layout the way you are. Different work flow it seems.

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
I may have just figured out the reason. If the system overhead is too much while setting up the scene it may also be too much when rendering and will take too long and he doesn't do multi hour renders.

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre...yes, I do the import the clothed character into the scene also. The scene above as is didn't take long to render....about the time it took me to wash a sink of dishes. It's when you add clothing and hair that it gets lengthy. If the scene above gets impossible for me to render, I can always put most of the boat off camera and cut the number of characters considerably, but this way I've had the chance to create the poses for the whole set without necessarily showing the whole set in promo. That's the we'll see part...haha. It helps that these are all base figures, no added morphs...no need for expressions so I can get by with lighter weight models. Hi res body textures and hair are the two heavy weights for me to face, and I'll short cut where I can. In my projects, final rendering quality is not the primary goal...but rather communicating the message well enough for a user to take the pose set and put together a scene in which rendering quality and presentation is the primary goal, which would take a bigger system with more resources than mine of course...like a church system equipped for projection. Some folks on ShareCG have expressed an interest in doing projects "for their pastor", and I would imagine this is what they are referring to...either sermon illustration and Powerpoints, or running slideshows , that sort of thing. I used to put them together for our church before the days of 3D-ing....and I would have loved to have had access to 3D at the time as a resource, so I've been in their shoes and sorta know what they are needing. Online companies like GoodSalt and Oxygen are paid services where ministries buy the images for projection...so I'm helping the "little guys", so-to-speak, create their own projections, and helping make a place for young, budding artists in ministry as well. It helps to have walked in their shoes some back in the day...so I know what they are needing....so that's the goal I'm hoping to accomplish, and why my final renders are not the primary goal...rather, I'm displaying potential tools for them to use, so I do have to put it together well enough that they can at least see the possibilities.

skylab

Esteemed
I certainly don't want to be offensive to anyone, but it's almost impossible to relate what my goals are without at least minimal controversial material...so for anyone interested in seeing the video that I mentioned above, copy and paste this link...and I hope I can suppress the feature that will embed the video on the page, giving folks a free choice to either view or not view it...go to this link on YouTube to see an extraordinary example of what is being done: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYGOdvI6S8
We've gotten so accustomed to an "us four and no more" and "is it popular in the Rendo galleries" type of decade old thinking, we forget, there are other possibilities for the use of 3D, and some of these kids doing digital ministry are running out way ahead of us all :) Then there's Ted Larson and JR Bell, who've been doing this stuff for years...Ted's work especially, some of it is amazing. Anyway....I'm hoping to see younger folks use their talents for something worthwhile, and am creating a few tools for them to at least begin to learn how.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah...I see in your Nataani thread that you made some progress last night with the translation problem...yay!! At least you're moving forward again. I'm fixing lunch and surfing around the freebies. Just got back from running errands.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yep... my Bear is out working on moving and cutting down a granite counter top for a property... I have to say, I don't envy him on that one. Granite counters are a massive PITA to work with!

But I'm taking the time while he's out to do more work on this. :p I do really need to get Studio reinstalled still; but I've been holding off because of my tendency to get distracted away from things I should be doing when I have it accessible.

Afternoon, Miss B. :)