• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Had to do some postwork on the shirts for this one. Clothes were converted from D3 to Genesis to Dawn and then from Dawn to dusk.
Victorian Romance copy.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia The conversion came out great considering you had it fit on both Dawn and Dusk! Usually only skin tight outfits survive conversions because of the shrink wrapping.

I have optimized CatsEyes materials, so now I only need 1 mask to create the EZ-Eyeliners in Poser (previously needed 2 maps). With this, we can set the eyeliner to any color without affecting the rest of the face texture or makeup already in place. The materials will include 2 eyeliners, and this is the 2nd one. ^^

CatsEyes_1200.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia The conversion came out great considering you had it fit on both Dawn and Dusk! Usually only skin tight outfits survive conversions because of the shrink wrapping.
Not always...very much dependent on the original mesh quality. I've had a lot of success with Generation 3 stuff with Genesis. I used the Sickleyield clones so they normally work rather well. I didn't take any of that into another program it's all just autofit and smoothing. The postwork I mentioned was to tidy up the area where the shirt stock didn't meet the jacket and the skin showed.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia Oh yes, I forgot about Auto-Fit and projection templates! :D

@Rae134 and @RAMWolff Thanks! CatsEyes includes EZ-MATs on the eyes, eyeliner, lips, and nail polish, so we can basically set them to any colors we like. No need to limit ourselves to fixed textures anymore. The only part that has fixed textures is on the eye shadow makeup because of different styles included. The most complicated part was to do this on the eyeliners because it's part of the face texture and required a mask. Now I have to replicate this in DS with Shader Mixer. ^^

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hope you can get shader mixer figured out! If you do, IF you have the time, a tutorial would be great. I have no idea how to use EZ Mats to create the effects you have in Poser so for now I just stick to the old fashioned way! lol

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Miss B Thank you! I think the Poser shaders are pretty much done now. ^^

@RAMWolff Sure thing. It's much easier to do this in Poser because the bricks are more high level. For instance, EZ-MATs on the eyes and fingernails require just a single node, but it's 3 or more in ShadedMixer. The more bricks we add in DS, the more difficult it becomes to manage, because the interface is huuuge. They have a nifty zoom feature, but the moment we zoom out, the bricks become unreadable. My solution to this mess was to collapse every node whenever possible, so I can see what I am doing at a macro perspective. In Poser we can actually collapse several nodes into a single one to simplify the view, and I miss that in this situation. Poser also allows collapsing bricks into just a title bar, and here again, that's not possible with ShaderMixer.

In addition, ShaderMixer doesn't seem to have a color math node, and seems to be limited to individual math nodes. I think I can build a color math functionality by combining color and math nodes, and that's where things start to look furry. But looking at what's available, it seems possible to replicate EZ-MATs in ShaderMixer. It's just not going to be as simple. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think we discussed this elsewhere... I really hope that DS 5 introduces allot of improvements with the Shader Mixer UI and nodes.... I hate jumbled up messes like that! My brain freezes up after a few minutes! lmao

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Indeed, ShaderMixer is still very new in DS, and looks rather crude as it stands. Especially the brick nodes, they look rudimentary compared to the power of the Material Room. I also find it difficult to work with nodes that need to be double-clicked to show their current state. In Poser we have been used to seeing immediate updated results at node and shader levels for years. I think this is essential since the final results depend on it. Imagine a calculator that won't show you partial results of a larger calculation as you make them - seems impractical.

But in this case I already know the final result and how to obtain it with shader nodes. The more evident obstacle seems to be the lack of higher level bricks in ShaderMixer, where everything needs to be build from ground up. For example, the EZ-Eyeliner is based on a Color Math node, which we don't have in SM, so we have to build one first.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I guess another way around it is LIE but I don't use LIE, it's a bit buggy for me so I avoid it!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Talking about buggy, I have tried ny 2nd attempt to build an EZ-Eyeliner in ShaderMixer today, and when I was in about a third of it, DS stopped responding and I had to kill the task. I suspect it's those previews on top of the bricks that crash DS. If I ever want to finish this shader in DS, I have to avoid clicking the brick previews. If I try to see where I am going, ShaderMixer crashes DS. I have also noticed the sphere projection previews seem rather useless, since I can only see an ear from a face texture. The rest of the texture is wrapped around the other sides of the sphere, which we can can't see. :\

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'd file a bug report to DAZ. The more they know what to fix the more will get fixed. THEN you can submit a feature report and ask about having aspects of the UI made a bit more to what you expect. Might drive the Shader Mixer back up the list for improvements. You know DAZ, it's always about the shiny new things not the old stuff as that's not as exciting. They love to piss off their user base in this way!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
So far DAZ tech support has never replied to me, and the forums have been rather hostile, maybe because they know I am a Poser user. I have been around for 10+ years, so they know me. If I am going to be flamed, I just rather leave them alone. I have been actively participating on the development of Poser 11 since last December, and SMS has been welcoming my reports and suggestions. Based on how they have been acting on them, they seem to take them seriously. DAZ seems to be the opposite of that, perhaps because DS is a freebie, and we (users and CAs) are not entitled to have a word on it. I am not trying to claim one is better than the other, but instead the results of my personal history with these companies and their services. One vendor told me DAZ3D's tech support will reply to me IF I become a vendor there, but I have no plans for that. I am happy at HW. :)

Now back to porting my CatsEyes shaders into DS. Once I get this done, I can reuse them with other scenes and products. ^^

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
hmm, if you want to send me a detailed report I can submit it for you and see what happens. Never know!