• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Nicely done. What happened to her bathing suit strap? Oh wait, it IS attached. The light color is looking like her skin tone on the right.

Haha indeed that part of the bikini came out the same color as the skin. ;p Nonetheless, Octane 4 rocks, and it's FREE for existing Octane users! ^____^

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've never used an external render engine, and I doubt I'll start now, but from what I've seen of renders done with Octane, I'd say it does a very good job.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I've never used an external render engine, and I doubt I'll start now, but from what I've seen of renders done with Octane, I'd say it does a very good job.

Way better than Cycles, but again, that is not even a fair comparison. Cycles is free, while Octane is rather expensive. It's like comparing good will with the power of money. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Yay, my very first Poser render with Octane 4! Very exciting new features and some good performance improvements. This took 91 seconds to render with 1500 samples. This is Dawn with "Body Type-2" and Amelia face. Hair by me. Rendered in Poser with Octane 4.

Nice render Ken. Is that still the Octane 3 Poser plugin? I haven't seen any news on the new Poser plugin for Octane 4, which is supposed to have major improvements when we get it.

I love Octane as it renders so fast and photo-real renders are easy to achieve, especially when using a HDRI as Texture Environment (you can make the texture invisible if you like and just use the HDRI lighting).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Nice render Ken. Is that still the Octane 3 Poser plugin? I haven't seen any news on the new Poser plugin for Octane 4, which is supposed to have major improvements when we get it.

I love Octane as it renders so fast and photo-real renders are easy to achieve, especially when using a HDRI as Texture Environment (you can make the texture invisible if you like and just use the HDRI lighting).

Very true, Bonnie! Octane has always been my favorite renderer for the reasons you've mentioned - speed, ease of use, and realism. I was lucky the Poser plugin was much better than the one for DS, and looks like the reason for that was because SMS has made changes on the Poser plugin API to accommodate the requirements for Paolo's Lux Render plugin. Paolo has also mentioned that DS has many restrictions on what a plugin can and cannot do, so Poser got the better plugin when it comes to Octane.

As for your question, for this render I have used the old Octane 3 plugin to create the scene and materials, and then exported to ORBX file, which includes all textures, and rendered in Octane 4 with all the new bells and whistles. The only extra task is that the new features are disabled by default since the scene was created in Octane 3, so I have to enable them before rendering. With Octane 3, I usually render with 800 to 1000 samples, but since Octane 4 is so much faster, I went all the way to 1500 samples and it still took only 91 seconds to render it. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks for that suggestion Ken, I hadn't thought of trying the ORBX export to Octane 4 yet but I will from now on until we get the updated Poser plugin.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have kit-bashed the teddy and stockings I have bought from RO with the Tenacity outfit gloves, and my police cap, belt and accessories. This is Dawn with Body Type-1 + Narrow Shoulders + my custom face morph. I have first rendered this in Superfly, but it was talking too long. so I have redone the materials and lighting in Octane 3, and then rendered in Octane 4. Instead of hour and a half, it took only 4:45 minutes. I love how it clears the noise so quickly. ^^

YouAreUnderArrest_1200.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I assumed the band at the top of thigh high stockings was an elastic band. So ... since I wondered if that was the case, I went searching. And yes. That is apparently the case for some thigh high stockings. But it seems to be more common nowadays that the band has a silicone ring either sewn on or sealed to the band with heat and adhesive. However, if you put lotion on your legs, it prevents the silicone from "adhering."

The elastic bands and silicone works better for thin legs. The bands tend to roll on legs that aren't so thin, which results in thigh highs not staying in place. At that point ... glue (body adhesive) is an option or fashion tape.

I never really wore thigh highs all that much. Before pantyhose became popular, of course, we had to use garter belts, and apparently, that's still a solution when thigh highs don't stay up. After all ... no one seems to think it odd when women run around with their bra straps showing. Something that was a huge no no when I was younger. You just simply didn't go out in public with any part of an undergarment exposed. Now though ... it's totally acceptable for bra straps and thongs to be seen, but panty lines are unacceptable. Say what?!?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I kid you not - some female school uniforms in Japan include long socks during winter, which are fixed with glue. I think they have imported the uniform style from French and British uniforms.

The other day I saw an assassination conspiracy involving time travel, to go back in time to 1953 and prevent this Allen Gant guy from inventing the pantyhose, which led to the downfall of garters and stockings. One thing is more practical than the other, but something was lost in the way. Nowadays, garters and stockings are limited to a few remaining kinky stores, or to my renders. ;p

Miss B

CV-BEE
They actually use glue??? That must hurt when the girls have to take the stockings off at night. I also wouldn't think washing the glue off would be all that easy either.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yup, glue. But I bet is some special kind used just for this. I have no idea, but I bet it sticks and it's also easy to peal off. They sell them at Amazon.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Wow, even hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested! I never would've thought of body glue for holding up thigh high socks/stockings.