• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I was trying out a new texture I've had on the back burner and a new light, props set I got on sale.
I love this set!
It took all day but the render is finished and I like it.

flSerenia High Elf.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't use the latest version of DS, so can't use it, but it does look nice.

Hornet3d

Wise
The beauty of the flowers were only part of the thrill for the subtle scent sent Caoimhe's mind spinning back to the first time Turlough had bought her flowers, something of a rarity on her planet, a surprise gift at the time.

Tulips and butterflies HW.jpg

Scene - Easy Environments - Tree of Life 02 by Flipmode

Flowers - Tulips from Lisa's Botanicals with Sweetheart Textures by NapalmArsenal

Material for clothing - Fabric Frenzy-Cottons Vol. 1 PBR Textures & Poser Shaders MR by Deecey

Hornet3d

Wise
I do a lot of part renders before I settle on a final render but once done I rarely return to a render but I wanted to play with Ezdome a little try some of the flexibility it provides. Up to now I have only really used the illumination form the dome but I wanted to try letting EZdome add the sun and play with the lighting from there. Here are a couple of reworks.

Ice Lake revisted HW.jpg
Mall Portrait HW.jpg

In both of these I have used the dome outer dome for the illumination and the added sun to provide some fill in.

I am not sure the balance is right but it does show potential I think. One aspect I do like is the reflection using the dome gives to the eyes.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I like EZDome for many of my renders.
The ability to use the sun is a plus.
I need more outdoor scenes for it that have like pastures, mountains, no buildings so I can place mt BeJeweled horse in it. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I like EZDome for many of my renders.
The ability to use the sun is a plus.
I need more outdoor scenes for it that have like pastures, mountains, no buildings so I can place mt BeJeweled horse in it. :)

When I started playing I used just sIBL but more recently I have been using HDRIs from HDRI Haven and I have tried some of the domes from Flipmode's easy environments over at Daz3d, the latter need to be purchased of course. HDRI Haven has some lovely skies and nature scenes with either no building or buildings that a way in the distance, many with just trees either close or at a distance. The way I use them, which may be wrong, is I run EZdome and then change the image map from the sIBL for that of one of the sources and then reposition the sun to match the new image. This may be wrong as I am just making it up as a go along and just seeing what the effect the changes have on each render.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
One of many advantages of EZDome is that it creates a closed surface for rays to bounce of, which can speed up Superfly renders. In my tests, I needed way less SF pixel samples when using EZDone.

Hornet3d

Wise
One of many advantages of EZDome is that it creates a closed surface for rays to bounce of, which can speed up Superfly renders. In my tests, I needed way less SF pixel samples when using EZDone.

That is very true, many of my Superfly renders are faster than my firefly renders used to be, both CPU based so a fair comparison. I render in progressive mode so if I am not sure on the samples I just set them high and stop the render when I feel it has 'cooked'.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, I change image too and adjust the sun position to match.
I love it!
Of course if I'm doing a render that need a transparent background, I use the hide features in properties leaving show in ray trace on.
I still get the lighting that way,

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, there are some things that SF can do that even Octane Render cannot, such as hide light sources and the background dome so they don't show in renders. All we have to do is uncheck "Visible in Camera" on the properties tab, and render. On the downside, however, SF lacks shadow caster and micro-poly displacement, so it's still not the full experience. I have asked SMS is it's possible to integrate these features into SF without waiting for the next full point version, and they said yes. He also said SF is not Cycles, so they could implement these features independently if they exist in Cycles or not - which is even better news - though this new dev team may be too "green" to have it done at this point.

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh yes, there are some things that SF can do that even Octane Render cannot, such as hide light sources and the background dome so they don't show in renders. All we have to do is uncheck "Visible in Camera" on the properties tab, and render. On the downside, however, SF lacks shadow caster and micro-poly displacement, so it's still not the full experience. I have asked SMS is it's possible to integrate these features into SF without waiting for the next full point version, and they said yes. He also said SF is not Cycles, so they could implement these features independently if they exist in Cycles or not - which is even better news - though this new dev team may be too "green" to have it done at this point.

Miss B was saying in another thread that Snarly has added a shadow caster function for Superfly in the latest version, V1.5. Nice to have in Superfly but this could be a solution while we wait.